I need a screw

Members online

You can get me washers that are recessed,
But I wouldn't worry too much I would dip the ends of the screws in some wood glue to ensure they have sufficient grip into joist
I never thought of that.

Belt and braces.

Presumably if you tighten the screws up good, they'll press the washer into the board enough that they'll be flush?

@bilge I'd happily use 50mm coarse thread plasterboard screws for overboarding an Artexed plasterboard ceiling. Minimum of seven screws across the width of an 8x4 board, eight screws at the ends.

Nowhere near enough for overboard that.

OP - you should also consider impact adhesive at the points where you plan to scree/along the joists. Just bang it on where you've marked them and youll be grand.

Just want to clarify something, it was a question about screws for cross battening. I said use wood screws because I thought the question was asking what screws to attach the cross batons to the rafters through the old PB. Reading some replies it looks like people thought I was saying to use wood screws to fix the over-board to the battons - hence washers-artex over them and so on.

Nowhere near enough for overboard that.
OP - you should also consider impact adhesive at the points where you plan to scree/along the joists. Just bang it on where you've marked them and youll be grand.
Not sure what you mean there. Impact adhesive - as in Evo-stic. The ceiling has an artex texture and so there will not be much contact. Would a no nails type adheasive be better.
Is that what everyone else does then when over boarding - add a glue to every edge of the boards.
What about a papered ceiling - the glue is wont help much there will it ?

Just want to clarify something, it was a question about screws for cross battening. I said use wood screws because I thought the question was asking what screws to attach the cross batons to the rafters through the old PB. Reading some replies it looks like people thought I was saying to use wood screws to fix the over-board to the battons - hence washers-artex over them and so on.
Not sure what you mean there. Impact adhesive - as in Evo-stic. The ceiling has an artex texture and so there will not be much contact. Would a no nails type adheasive be better.
Is that what everyone else does then when over boarding - add a glue to every edge of the boards.
What about a papered ceiling - the glue is wont help much there will it ?
You need to knock all the peaks off the artex and pva the ceiling so as to get a good bond for the glue.

Same, scrape back any paper. As you rightly say, the glue would only bond to the paper.

With artex, be sure to wear the full paper suit and respirator. Can't be too careful with the old asbestos.

I think I am ok with the artex as I was the person who put it up around 20 years ago, I have already planned to knock off any peaks but if the artex did have asbestos in it I would not be touching it at all.
Don't fancy using contact adhesive because that is only one touch and I may need to slide the board in place slightly.
And depending on the paper type when you scrape back where you want to glue you are creating a slightly lower section and the adhesive will not make proper contact - hence my thoughts on using a no nails filling adhesive or how about PB adhesive.

Last edited:
I think I am ok with the artex as I was the person who put it up around 20 years ago, I have already planned to knock off any peaks but if the artex did have asbestos in it I would not be touching it at all.
Don't fancy using contact adhesive because that is only one touch and I may need to slide the board in place slightly.
And depending on the paper type when you scrape back where you want to glue you are creating a slightly lower section and the adhesive will not make proper contact - hence my thoughts on using a no nails filling adhesive or how about PB adhesive.
Yes plasterboard adhesive will do, watch for screw heads popping on new plaster most screws a very light oiling so it's sometimes necessary to give the screws a slight squirtle with degreaser, and then apply PVA to heads of screws with small artist brush

Yes plasterboard adhesive will do, watch for screw heads popping on new plaster most screws a very light oiling so it's sometimes necessary to give the screws a slight squirtle with degreaser, and then apply PVA to heads of screws with small artist brush
I could chuck the screws a handful at a time into a container of alcohol and give it a shake.
But I am not quite sure if your are serious about painting every screw head with pva -only the mid screw as the edge ones will have mesh tape/scrim over them anyway.
Anyone else paint the screw heads with pva.

I suppose applying glue to the boards before screwing up is the same as you are supposed to do when fitting the chipboard floor as you are supposed to glue to the joists to stop movement and the squeaking.

51B58B18-4E33-4E3E-82C8-C17D8B181894.gif

@Groove37 when a chipboard floor is screwed to a new build joist the best practice is to glue the chipboard sheets to the joists as well as each other with a D4 glue
Same with plasterboard. The issue isn't the boards falling down, it's screw heads popping and leaving unsightly craters in the work.

Everything you're being told is measures to mitigate the risk of this.

@Groove37 when a chipboard floor is screwed to a new build joist the best practice is to glue the chipboard sheets to the joists as well as each other with a D4 glue
Thanks for that personally I’ve never glued or no anyone who has glued a simple ceiling overboard find joists chalk line through cut boards to suit 50mm dry wall screws up into joist never had a problem