I need a screw

Members online

bilge

Not sure if this should be in the DIY section but I like to think I am an advanced DIYer and that is why I know I will NOT be doing the skim on my ceiling but I will be doing the over-boarding of the artex myself. (I will start a thread for that)
I have done many small jobs with board and never really thought about the screws but this is a much bigger boarding job and over my head on a ceiling.
My question is can people recommend their best plasterboard wood screws to use. I have read about splinters from black screws.
I will be using a manual driver and my options to buy over the counter are at
Wickes
Screwfix
Toolstation
B and Q
Jewsons
Travis perkins

Not sure if this should be in the DIY section but I like to think I am an advanced DIYer and that is why I know I will NOT be doing the skim on my ceiling but I will be doing the over-boarding of the artex myself. (I will start a thread for that)
I have done many small jobs with board and never really thought about the screws but this is a much bigger boarding job and over my head on a ceiling.
My question is can people recommend their best plasterboard wood screws to use. I have read about splinters from black screws.
Wickes
Screwfix
Toolstation
B and Q
Jewsons
Travis perkins
Your not that advanced if you don’t no what screws to use.

Sorry I mean a standard dewalt drill driver rather than a collated auto gun type

Last edited:
Correct choppa, I am not advanced in screws for plasterboard and so I am asking for advice form the people who use them day in day out

A manual driver? Elaborate!!!
Surely not
Wera_05008720001_manual_screwdriver_Single_One_way_screwdriver@@9habxw01.jpg

There's going to be some knacker old houses to put right in the future!!

I think I see the confusion, I am not asking for the best screws for plasterboard -that would be plasterboard screws.
I am asking for the best plasterboard screws - as in tell me your favourites tell me the ones you have hated using. For instance someone said the wickes ones should be banned.

Wickes
Screwfix
Toolstation
B and Q
Jewsons
Travis perkins
Overboard. You're going to need 3'' minimum.

Wickes
Screwfix
Toolstation
B and Q
Jewsons
Travis perkins
Shake the box with a corner slightly open and at the lowest point , see if filings come out , I buy excellent screws cheap on line But you have to spend £75 for free delivery

So should I go for these course thread or these fine thread screws.
Or would 60mm be too sort for 12mm board over an artex ceiling not a deep texture- Combed fans. the rafters are 50 years old so very seasoned.
Have you considered cross battening which you can level and then use shorter dry lining screws

Have you considered cross battening which you can level and then use shorter dry lining screws
Do longer screws have any particular issues / drawbacks I should be aware of.
If I use the 60mm course thread and allow 15mm for the original celing and 12mm for the new board that would leave 33mm into the rafters. It that ok.

Do longer screws have any particular issues / drawbacks I should be aware of.
If I use the 60mm course thread and allow 15mm for the original celing and 12mm for the new board that would leave 33mm into the rafters. It that ok.
You need three inch screws for overboard.

I told you that.