I am New... and Confused LOL

Members online

Eddie_MK

Thanks for letting me in :)

First I have to say ...I am NOT a Plasterer ....although i have "had a go" with bits of other trades ...I KNOW
when to get the pro's in .

I know this is a hello really ..but I thought i would take advantage and the reason I found this place.

We recently moved from the North to Milton Keynes ....and due to DAFT house prices here ...we decided to build on some land my wife family had ...sounds good...and it is...

So we chose a Potton house ...Timber frame ..its the basic package as we didn't have lots of cash to splash ...and trust me ...a year in EVERYTHING costs more when you are building a house ....but you guys probably know that already.

anyway its getting there ....roofers are in now and thoughts turn to the exterior finish ...Now my brickie is due to start in 2 weeks ...but being one of those "heritage" style buildings ...the top half is rendered (or similar)

Now when my dad was a builder (he is 94 now ..bless him) ...rendering meant slapping sand and cement on blockwork or common brick and occasionally chucking stones at it ...LOL. But I hear it has moved on :)

Now Potton recommend Stucanet and Sand and Cement Finish ...then paint. But almost ALL the guys I have had in for quotes are talking Self coloured Polymer whatsimadoobry ...

So I am looking for advice...and maybe someone in the Milton keynes area that might want a job :) ...In about 2 months

I do have some piccies ..so you can see where we are up to ...ew more roof tiles on since this taken a week ago though

Oh ...one of he chaps that came over to quote me a few weeks ago ...mentioned the "rafter feet" ....so i have added them ...apparently they can be a "arse-ache" to work around ...they are little bits of 4x2 that stick out and "pretend" that they are part of the roof ..its all for the look ...as you can see I have been at them with the paint ....its one job I am not half bad at !

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks before joining ...and I am figuring if you guys dont know about what i need ...then I may as well give up :)

Attachments

• pf2.jpg
    pf2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 303
  • pf1.jpg
    pf1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 313
  • pf3.jpg
    pf3.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 315

First I have to say ...I am NOT a Plasterer ....although i have "had a go" with bits of other trades ...I KNOW

I know this is a hello really ..but I thought i would take advantage and the reason I found this place.

We recently moved from the North to Milton Keynes ....and due to DAFT house prices here ...we decided to build on some land my wife family had ...sounds good...and it is...

So we chose a Potton house ...Timber frame ..its the basic package as we didn't have lots of cash to splash ...and trust me ...a year in EVERYTHING costs more when you are building a house ....but you guys probably know that already.

anyway its getting there ....roofers are in now and thoughts turn to the exterior finish ...Now my brickie is due to start in 2 weeks ...but being one of those "heritage" style buildings ...the top half is rendered (or similar)

Now when my dad was a builder (he is 94 now ..bless him) ...rendering meant slapping sand and cement on blockwork or common brick and occasionally chucking stones at it ...LOL. But I hear it has moved on :)

Now Potton recommend Stucanet and Sand and Cement Finish ...then paint. But almost ALL the guys I have had in for quotes are talking Self coloured Polymer whatsimadoobry ...

So I am looking for advice...and maybe someone in the Milton keynes area that might want a job :) ...In about 2 months

I do have some piccies ..so you can see where we are up to ...ew more roof tiles on since this taken a week ago though

Oh ...one of he chaps that came over to quote me a few weeks ago ...mentioned the "rafter feet" ....so i have added them ...apparently they can be a "arse-ache" to work around ...they are little bits of 4x2 that stick out and "pretend" that they are part of the roof ..its all for the look ...as you can see I have been at them with the paint ....its one job I am not half bad at !

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks before joining ...and I am figuring if you guys dont know about what i need ...then I may as well give up :)

if your stuck il know a few decent gangs from luton mate (y)

Hi Mate..

im.not from your area but as a recommendation please do not use sand cement... it wont last...

timber moves sand cement doesnt.

personally i would recommend.the following.

25mm battens nailed.vertically to timber at 400 centres. this creates a cavity. with insect mesh top and bottom.
apply 12mm render carrierboard.(dont.butt the boards to.soffit. leave 20mm air flow gap for cavity.
then render with a thincoat silicone render such as jub krend weber which are available easily enough.

Thanks Dan,

i like your website ....very impressive !

Do you know of anyone local-ish to me that you would recommend ?
Looking at schematics ..the rendered area is around 70M2

if your stuck il know a few decent gangs from luton mate (y)

Well yes, for sure ...

I just need to settle on WHAT to slap on it :(
Potton seem fixated on Sand and Cement on "Stukanet"
...but from what i hear from almost EVERYWHERE else ...some form of Silicon/Polymer is the way forward.

Dans post (above) seems to make a lot of sense ...and why more Potton Self-builders dont use it ...I just cant get me head around..perhaps they want that old-world feel or something :)

Me I just want something that goes on, stays on, does the job and looks good ...Simples.

I think another thing is price ...When you first hear the price of S+C render ...compared to Polymer it is a LOT cheaper ...but by the time you factor in that weird chicken wire and cardboard malarkey and the fact that you have to seal, prime, paint etc ...I dont think there is much in it.

the first 2 guys quoted us (a few months back when house was in early stages ...frame going up
were both on the Polymer stuff and were heartbreakingly expensive ..but the worry was there was 4k difference in price .?!?! for the same job LOL

I dont know if its the shock from moving from Manchester or what ...I know one thing ..in Manchester there are LOADS of trades fighting for the work ...but in Milton Keynes, there is SO much building work going on ...its basically PICK A NUMBER and DOUBLE IT. I mean take bricklayers ...I have a really good one now ...starts in 2 weeks ....but he is travelling and staying locally to do the work ...the ones around here are like Rockstars ...
They swan up in a Range Rover with a gold watch and walk up and down and Boom ! ...Price.
I have heard that some of the teams here are on over £1000 per 1000 brick! ...although the quotes I have had were a little better ! ..they are SO busy with big builders, Barratt, Persimmon etc etc with electric hoists, premixed mortar stuff arriving he TOLD me he charged small domestics 40% more as it was "hard graft" as they had to "mix and hump"

....diddums! ...did the nasty shovel make a bruisy woozy on your fingy wingy when you tapped it on the mixxy wixxy! ...where DID the 70's and 80's go ...I want to go back !

Well yes, for sure ...

I just need to settle on WHAT to slap on it :(
Potton seem fixated on Sand and Cement on "Stukanet"
...but from what i hear from almost EVERYWHERE else ...some form of Silicon/Polymer is the way forward.

Dans post (above) seems to make a lot of sense ...and why more Potton Self-builders dont use it ...I just cant get me head around..perhaps they want that old-world feel or something :)

Me I just want something that goes on, stays on, does the job and looks good ...Simples.

I think another thing is price ...When you first hear the price of S+C render ...compared to Polymer it is a LOT cheaper ...but by the time you factor in that weird chicken wire and cardboard malarkey and the fact that you have to seal, prime, paint etc ...I dont think there is much in it.

the first 2 guys quoted us (a few months back when house was in early stages ...frame going up
were both on the Polymer stuff and were heartbreakingly expensive ..but the worry was there was 4k difference in price .?!?! for the same job LOL

I dont know if its the shock from moving from Manchester or what ...I know one thing ..in Manchester there are LOADS of trades fighting for the work ...but in Milton Keynes, there is SO much building work going on ...its basically PICK A NUMBER and DOUBLE IT. I mean take bricklayers ...I have a really good one now ...starts in 2 weeks ....but he is travelling and staying locally to do the work ...the ones around here are like Rockstars ...
They swan up in a Range Rover with a gold watch and walk up and down and Boom ! ...Price.
I have heard that some of the teams here are on over £1000 per 1000 brick! ...although the quotes I have had were a little better ! ..they are SO busy with big builders, Barratt, Persimmon etc etc with electric hoists, premixed mortar stuff arriving he TOLD me he charged small domestics 40% more as it was "hard graft" as they had to "mix and hump"

....diddums! ...did the nasty shovel make a bruisy woozy on your fingy wingy when you tapped it on the mixxy wixxy! ...where DID the 70's and 80's go ...I want to go back !

Its brickys time at mo for making mega bucks on site. Bubble will burst eventually though. I was in the plumbers merchants the other day and one of the reps was saying that many were making 3-400 a day so a lot of the guys weren't bothering to turn up on Fridays. To counteract this, they were being given £100 just to turn up as an incentive and while there, may as well lay a few bricks.

Well Chris ..that makes sense ...I mean 1.5 Packs a day ...if they are fast-ish ..they will get their £1k a thousand..and thats on a straightforward job...not from me though ...I don't have it ...and If i did I would still begrudge paying ..its not that I am a tight-a**e ....cos I am not

..Its just when someone walks on a site ...up and down for about 90 seconds and comes up with a number ..it tells me there is MEGA Overhead in that price ..I mean ...Roofers ask for Plans ..Plasterers want to know Areas ..groundworks want to know depths

....But apparently Brickies are superheroes ..they can price it from the window of their 7 series ..if you are lucky ....they might even slow down while they are looking :O

Well Chris ..that makes sense ...I mean 1.5 Packs a day ...if they are fast-ish ..they will get their £1k a thousand..and thats on a straightforward job...not from me though ...I don't have it ...and If i did I would still begrudge paying ..its not that I am a tight-a**e ....cos I am not

..Its just when someone walks on a site ...up and down for about 90 seconds and comes up with a number ..it tells me there is MEGA Overhead in that price ..I mean ...Roofers ask for Plans ..Plasterers want to know Areas ..groundworks want to know depths

....But apparently Brickies are superheroes ..they can price it from the window of their 7 series ..if you are lucky ....they might even slow down while they are looking :O

What goes round comes round. Young guys coming up won't know any different (apprentice pay aside), so yep, they're basking in their 'rockstar' pay and many will never see a recession coming in the future and won't be aware off their older co-workers scratting around not so long ago. I hope some will be sensible enough to do something useful with their money, because they'll only be too glad to come and lay a few bricks for Eddie when/if the s**t hits the fan.

Thanks Dan,

i like your website ....very impressive !

Do you know of anyone local-ish to me that you would recommend ?
Looking at schematics ..the rendered area is around 70M2
i dont know anyone in your area mate..

email leon turner at Jub.
leon@jub.org.uk

ask for approved applicator in your area and he will send you some numbers close to you.

Thanks

Dan

Well I got a price today on Sand and Cement Render.
Nice Lad ...seems to know his stuff ...some good pics and videos online too!

But he has always gone to sites and skimmed existing systems ....he said it was like mesh and paper ?

We were advised by the timber frame builder to use Stucanet ....but it seems pricey ...and fiddly if i am honest i watched a video ...I take it for rendering S+C on a Timber frame its the only option ?

As the Plasterer wants me to get more information so he can see how to work with it

looks simple but costly way to do it..

trouble i have with s and c on timber is again the movement... timber moves sand cement doesnt.

not for me

Thanks Dan ....I am not sure about prices down there, but the price for that polymer here seems way over S+C

Well it is 69m2 and for Polymer coloured render I have had quotes of between 11-14k.
apparently it comes in small bags and is nearly the price of smuggled heroin ! :(

..not sure what the labour element is in that ..I know labour is dear in the SE though ....thats for 100% sure ...but it sounds high still

I just looked in my Potton Guide Book
and it says this about how they advice to render

Attachments

• POTTON_CLADDING_GUIDE.jpg
    POTTON_CLADDING_GUIDE.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 242