How to prevent cracks between cement board and block work?

Members online

kierenc

Hi guys,

I am a new self-builder, so I was wondering has anyone any insight into this? I was thinking if I render directly over the cement board onto the blockwork above it would eventually crack because the cement board would move differently to the blockwork

So would lapping the transition between the two materials with reinforcing mesh like the one I have applied onto the cement board sort this problem? If so will I have to screw the mesh into the blockwork above?

Thanks, Kieren
20200408_184012.jpg

This is basic rendering like scrimming a joint in plastering if no building paper use breathable felt then build up in coats according

This is basic rendering like scrimming a joint in plastering if no building paper use breathable felt then build up in coats according

Thanks, guys

So, to clarify I should take the mesh off, place the building paper over it then screw the EML right over all the surfaces and then it should be ready for rendering then?

You might aswell leave the mesh on for that bit just snip the mesh up in line ewith the brickwork then put some roofing felt over the joint onto brickwork then longer pice of eml onto brickwork to bridge the joint

You might aswell leave the mesh on for that bit just snip the mesh up in line ewith the brickwork then put some roofing felt over the joint onto brickwork then longer pice of eml onto brickwork to bridge the joint
Thanks so much, really appreciate the input!