How many of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoddo

Noticed on another thread there seems to be a fair few of us, how many of you have/had dads or grandads who were plasterers as well? My dad is also a plasterer and I know a fair few around here that also have followed on in the trade from their dads, does it seem quite common that plasterers keep it in the family so to speak lol?

I never met my real dad till I was thirty never seen a pic or heard anything About him, turns out he was a plasterer.

My dads an alcoholic so he's absolutely plastered 360 days a year. His body tends to pack up every once in a while so has a few days of it in hosp now and again.

Does that count?

My old mans just retired this year after almost 50 yrs on the trowel, better plasterers a few maybe, better father's there are none.
My boy wants to be an architect fair play to him.

He's just come out of hospital after 2 week's,he was in agony with his lower back,had to call an ambulance,the couldn't move him until the morphine kicked in,turns out he got tiny splinters in his spine that were rubbing against nerves,they said its too risky to operate,its all the wear and tear over the years

He's just come out of hospital after 2 week's,he was in agony with his lower back,had to call an ambulance,the couldn't move him until the morphine kicked in,turns out he got tiny splinters in his spine that were rubbing against nerves,they said its too risky to operate,its all the wear and tear over the years

Something for us all to maybe look forward too

Best wishes and luck for him

Best wishes and luck for him
Likewise all the best to him,we all do an extremely manual job that takes it's told over the years with all the wear and tear,we all either have ,or have problems to look forward to in the future,sometimes I think I should have done more at school but if I'm honest with myself I wouldn't change it for the world.

Yep my dad is still a plasterer over 40 years on price/site work he's just gone down to 3 days a week for me,and still can bang the m2 on quicker than my other work mate.As plaster man say he also will be brought off site in a box

oh lovley ol job, the futures bright the futures orange eh??:RpS_crying:

hope he makes a speedy recovery

My old man is not a plasterer... in fact I am the only one that is in a trade in our family... had an uncle who was a cabinet maker but he was married in so nor blood....

my old man was a miner until just after the miners strike - he could n't see any future in the industry so took redundancy (51 at the time) never worked a day since -- made his money work for him, hes still enjoying his retirement -- :RpS_thumbsup: out of hardship during the miners strike, a blessing in disguise

my older brother is in the construction industry - a plumber for the local council - hes enjoyed his retirement since his apprenticeship :RpS_lol:

my old man was a miner until just after the miners strike - he could n't see any future in the industry so took redundancy (51 at the time) never worked a day since -- made his money work for him, hes still enjoying his retirement -- :RpS_thumbsup: out of hardship during the miners strike, a blessing in disguise
that's the only thing good I have heard...lol

My old man was a plasterer he died at 59 brothers a plasterer uncle and one of my cousins i didn't have much choice!! :RpS_scared:

Dad is a plasterer, though he tries to take it easy now! He tried everything to stop me going into construction. Guess he failed!! Maybe he was worried I'd be too good!!! I still think he edges it or is that just a son looking up to his father thing??
I'm a good 3 inches taller yet still feel smaller than him!!

My dad is/was a plasterer 73 this year retired now God love him!
same as my old man, hes only just stopped plastering at 73, hes got a wife younger than me and a son whose 6 and a daughter of 8, thats 44 years between his first child and his 6 year old son

same as my old man, hes only just stopped plastering at 73, hes got a wife younger than me and a son whose 6 and a daughter of 8, thats 44 years between his first child and his 6 year old son

Guess they all keep him young at heart mate

great granddad,grandad, uncles all plasterers, all gone to that great building site in the sky,.... and there was one uncle who went over to the dark side and became a b b b bricklayer, there I managed to say it that therapy and counselling does work, I am the last one now

great granddad,grandad, uncles all plasterers, all gone to that great building site in the sky,.... and there was one uncle who went over to the dark side and became a b b b bricklayer, there I managed to say it that therapy and counselling does work, I am the last one now
have you done that job yet in the spooky house yet @hector

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad was a funeral director rip and the only spread in family is my uncle 40 yrs still on it. And me. Brother is doleite and my lads one a welder and the other business structure analist?

My father was a plasterer and according to him one of the few who knew everything about it. having said that he was also the only person in London who could drive properly!he worked for Jonathan and James for a long time

My old man was a lorry driver.

I was a little **** in school but he kept his faith in me that I would work hard and find something that I would enjoy.

When he seen me progressing into plastering properly a few years back he was over the moon unfortunately I lost him a couple of years back, but I'm glad I made him happy before!

hi
my Granddad was a plasterer,my dad was a plasterer,sadly retired at 75,his 2 brothers was plasterer's,my 2 brothers are plasterer's,my 2 nephews are plasterer's,my son is a plasterer.

and my cousins in Dublin are plasterer's to

together we are a International generation of vertical mineral application engineers, :RpS_biggrin:

regards

Davy

hi
my Granddad was a plasterer,my dad was a plasterer,sadly retired at 75,his 2 brothers was plasterer's,my 2 brothers are plasterer's,my 2 nephews are plasterer's,my son is a plasterer.

and my cousins in Dublin are plasterer's to

together we are a International generation of vertical mineral application engineers, :RpS_biggrin:

regards

Davy

jesus! A fair few of you then lol

My dad and my uncle are both plasterers. They think that we are retired. But if i call up to the yard to get a mixer or something like that its gone.

I never met my real dad till I was thirty never seen a pic or heard anything About him, turns out he was a plasterer.

I never met my dad full stop, however after a bit of research I found out that his dad was a layer of bricks as am I to trade.
However, sometimes you have to drop a couple of rungs of the ladder and do other trades ;-)

I never met my dad full stop, however after a bit of research I found out that his dad was a layer of bricks as am I to trade.
However, sometimes you have to drop a couple of rungs of the ladder and do other trades ;-)

leave @cassie out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.