how many ceilings a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

i know when it comes to walls you can hit loads at a time and mix and match 1st coat here 2nd coat there,, but when it comes to ceilings how many average ceilings can you hit a day? say on artex iv been pricing a job and I'm put down i will do 2 4x4 ceilings a day could do 3 at a push..

is there any tips for hittin more ceilings a day?

two for me mate a day its all good tho i got one to start on monday 4 by 5 not bad got the plaster to day with some bond it its over artex so its going to be a pig never used bond it be for allways pva is it sh*t or good do you water it down like pva ???

oasis said:
i know when it comes to walls you can hit loads at a time and mix and match 1st coat here 2nd coat there,, but when it comes to ceilings how many average ceilings can you hit a day? say on artex iv been pricing a job and I'm put down i will do 2 4x4 ceilings a day could do 3 at a push..

is there any tips for hittin more ceilings a day?
if you got smallish ceilings just do two at once..
2 of that and its 4 ceilings a day...
and if youve priced each ceiling for one set its happy days innit!
just aim to be moving all the time comfortably when youve got a full house otherwise any time spent scratching your backside waiting for it to pull in is just money down the drain...

2 a day is ok then kool. i got a lab and im gann use bond it on 13 artex ceilings in a few weeks.. hoping to hit 3 a day. ganna try the lab on the trowel.. just layin on first coats and polishin off

priced in £1600 and got the job happy days again!
up and down thats how it goes at the moment!

5 weeks ago i had 1-2days a week now im booked 4 4 weeks!

mate, if he's never laid on before it'll be all over the floor and he'll put 1m on to your 10m...
let him mix up, aim for a bigger set and get him flattening off...
you final trowel..
everywhere he goes you go over... just follow each other round the set..
that way its just like having 2 spreads on a set and you can rectify any mistakes he makes... thats how i work with a labourer anyway... or at least one that ive taught to use a trowel beforehand...
your training him at the same time he takes the pressure off you for less money..

So if i lay the set on get him 2 come behind me and flatten off? and ill just check its ok..then again ill lay on second coat and let him flatten on after iv layed on?

i find it hard trust in any1 else! iv only just started lettin the lab mix up and polish off..

last bloke i taught, i started him off on a normal set, one which id do on my own.. that way nothing could go wrong no matter what he did..
you start laying on...3/4 the way in start him off flattening off reeaaaall slowly..
that'll stop him making too many mistakes, and make sure he keeps his trowel flat..
wash your own bucket, watch him for 2 minutes, correct his technique and knock up your topping..
start laying that on while he's still flattening the last lot... nice and slow..
then, when he's finished flattening the first coat, he can watch what you do for 5 minutes then start flattening the second coat..
you wash your own bucket again and keep an eye on him for a minute or 2.. (keep that trowel FLAT you little sod etc etc)
then just start 2nd trowelling behind him correcting any little mistakes you find and giving him little tips on filling slacks, you wont be needing water etc..
then when he's covered that pass he'll be back to the start and youll be half way round (in theory)
when youve finished your pass youll be onto final trowel.. you wont need to polish it..
thats it.. no worries... takes half the effort on your part and youve nothing to worry about..
in fact once youve got him up to speed using this technique youll be able to lay on nearly twice as much as normal and pay labourers rate for what another spread would do... or double your profit..
thats when you can start having 2 big ceilings in one go..
when you start teaching him to lay on though take it right back to standard 1 person set size or youll be cleaning up for the next 2 days!
then, once he can lay on, flatten, trowel up and final you can give him a little set to do on his own but that, youll find, isnt as cost effective as having a double size set with 2 people, youll get half a set out of him on his own..
once he can lay up and finish a set similar to you your gonna need to pay him decent money..

they learn backwards mate they do less damage and if they cant trowel up its pointless laying on

On average ceiling on your own 2-3 a day would be good,but with a labourer mixing and cleaning washing edges you should be knocking 3-4 comfortably.
What segs says above it right ...but dont be thinking you can get someone on the trowel without working with you for a week or so,just so they no the crack how to wash /mix clean wash edges(properly ).
And most important have a basic understanding of suction and how to work with it.
Over the next week or so talk them through everything you do and explain in detail what and why your doing this.

will do id rather have them polishing up mixing and celaning and washin down skirting ect and ill talk um threw the rest as we o let them have ago ona small bit first

rome wasnt built in day....just teach them slowly and get then insink with how u want things doing,within 2-3 weeks hell be able to read ur mind and when ur working as a team ull bang loadsa walls / ceilings out.

its so good ta have some one else around to smell you farts..lol but nah it is gd ta have some1 around.

Status
Not open for further replies.