How long

hail hail

Private Member
Took on a small job but it needs to be finished ASAP because the house has holiday Tennant's coming very soon.

It's a large inside chimney wall floor to ridge height. Chimney been taken down to ground level and built back up. I'm doing the plastering, painting, timber floors etc... Scaffolding up and ready to float and skim. Once the scratch coat is on, leave to dry some then skim then paint. Thing is, what's the shortest you would paint onto newly plastered walls. Shortest we've ever painted onto fresh walls has been a week and that's with the heating on, dehumidifier and Windows open during the day. I know best to have dehumidifiers on with Windows closed but that's how the builders wanted it done.

You see, soon as the skimming is finished, I really need it painted asap so can take scaffolding down to do the floor and bring it to another job waiting. Would it be cowboy builders material if I paint 2 days after skimmed?

If it comes to it, they holiday Tennant's might just have to sleep in the shed but I'd prefer to get this done and dusted for them coming.

I think with super matt you can go into damp green walls (not sosking) but it costs a fortune Leyland superlatex might be an alternative

There is apparently a "breathable" paint you can slap on wet plastered walls!!?? those knuckle heads on DIY SOS do it all the time. I wouldn't recommend it myself but an option??

Why not use hardcoat instead of s&c? It would be all done in one day

I see on our site any walls painted on s&c and skim too soon and the paint starts peeling pretty much straight away
Horrible job to go back sanding it as well

I know a pain but why not skim drop scaffold and do floor protect then set up tower and paint

On two jobs in the last year or so customers have got the roller out a day after skimming. First coat of trade emulsion, then slap on the colour or continue with the trade emulsion.

Neither job peeled, bubbled lifted or went patchy.

SO whilst it's the perceived wisdom in the trade to let the walls dry completely, I'm starting to question it having seen no harm from getting paint on straight away. Maybe it's a carry over from paint and plaster back in the day?

Took on a small job but it needs to be finished ASAP because the house has holiday Tennant's coming very soon.

It's a large inside chimney wall floor to ridge height. Chimney been taken down to ground level and built back up. I'm doing the plastering, painting, timber floors etc... Scaffolding up and ready to float and skim. Once the scratch coat is on, leave to dry some then skim then paint. Thing is, what's the shortest you would paint onto newly plastered walls. Shortest we've ever painted onto fresh walls has been a week and that's with the heating on, dehumidifier and Windows open during the day. I know best to have dehumidifiers on with Windows closed but that's how the builders wanted it done.

You see, soon as the skimming is finished, I really need it painted asap so can take scaffolding down to do the floor and bring it to another job waiting. Would it be cowboy builders material if I paint 2 days after skimmed?

If it comes to it, they holiday Tennant's might just have to sleep in the shed but I'd prefer to get this done and dusted for them coming.
Hey up .. honestly don't know if this is correct when sand and cement been used but on Bg own website says skim can be painted near enough straight away after it's finished, tbh I presumed that was when skim is on plasterboard though, always thought it needed to be pink dry but apparently not the case with water based Matt emulsion, did a massive kitchen couple of months ago and painting was happening near enough straight after I finished each gauge and was fine..
P.s I hate giving advice to multi turders but think you are okay :numberone:

safe when all pale pink bit of a gamble if still dark unless these paints are guaranteed to stay good on it ?

Did 8 hundred metres skimming over plasterboard a few yrs back and finished every day about 3pm. As soon as I put my tools away the builder got the painters to paint it, not watered down either. He used leyland trade paint, the ordinary stuff.
I'm not recommending it or anything but I have to say that 1 coat of paint minutes after I put my last trowel on it looked the finished article.
Should mention as well that it was winter time where stud work offices were built inside a massive warehouse
Maybe be its something to do with water based paint on wet plaster ???

Found it for the multi turd :)
IMG_1761.PNG

I am a big fan of dehumidifiers... best way to warm a cold house :D well my first port of call anyway.

Always wondered how diysos paint the same day

Supermatt or reflex can be applied the next day mate, no sure if you still have to water it down but I've seen our decorator paint next day when jobs behind