How long does monocouche take to dry to its "final" colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Tucker

Hi All,

First time posting here and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new build, so I'm not dealing directly with the renderer which makes getting information a little bit more tricky... hence me coming here for advice.

My house has just (I don't know exactly when, but within the last week) been rendered with monocouche, which is supposed to be "Ivory/White" colour.

We were told by the sales team that the render would be the same colour as the show home (which I estimate was rendered around 2 years ago).

However when we turned up on Sunday to view the rendering, the colour was somewhat different to that of the show home - much move of a yellowy brown than the creamy white we were expecting.

My question is a simple one I guess: How long should I expect to wait after application for the monocouche render to reach its "final" colour?

I obviously raised my concerns with the sales team and they told me not to worry - the colour would get lighter in time as it "dried out" and the sun "bleached it".

Images attached were taken within minutes of each other with the same camera:

• 1st image = Showhome: Monocouche render (supposedly "ivory/white") applied around 2 years ago
  • 2nd image: Ourhome: Monocouche render (supposedly "ivory/white"). The pictures were taken on a Sunday so I am fairly certain that the render has been on for at least 24 hours.

Would like to hear your opinions as to whether our home is likely to "dry/bleach" to the same colour as the show home, or have they simply used a different colour render?

Thank-you in advance
showhome.png
ourhome.png

takes a day or two to dry out, thats the colour, it will colour slightly in time, sun/rain/dirt etc...

If it was done in the last day or two then maybe but I think it could be a darker colour.

Give it two weeks an also bear in mind the South side will look lighter than a North side.

Also it could be a different rendering contractor using a different manufacturer. There are different shades of Ivory between the manufacturers. Have a look around the skip to see if there are any empty bags and ask the manufacturer for a sample. The bag will have the colour printed on it.

As Rigsby has said it could be different manufacturers products used.

I will say this though, it takes a few hours to dry but takes up to a few weeks to fully cure, mono is always darker when first applied due to the amount of water that's still in it, hundreds of litres of water doesn't just evaporate straight out.

Same happened to me on a mushroom pral m job, it went on at the same colour as OCR but properly cured to a very light brown (near white) 2 weeks later when I passed to check.

There different colours to me, the top one looks mushroom rather than ivory in any colour and the bottom one looks a sand colour. Previous lads have said it right about the water content and being a different shade, but it would be the same colour but darker not a complete differ colour which the latter picture is.

I can't be the only guy to have a customer jumping up and down just after a scrape saying that the colour was wrong surely?

2-3 weeks to get to the correct final colour, every manufacturer states that is their curing time.

Fuk um they pic the colour of a chart we only stick the s**t on the wall if you follow the correct application then its on them! I guess its like going to b&q picking some paint looks nice on the tin till u slap it on the wall?

Thanks for all of the quick responses, it genuinely is appreciated.

Since posting I have heard back from the builder who are "seeing what they can do" for me.

Realistically (and remember I am not in the trade) there seem to be 3 options to me, aside from of course just accepting it and doing nothing:
  1. Skim over the top of the existing render with the correct colour monocouche
  2. Paint over it (I read about some special monocouche paint the manufacturers have developed specifically for this purpose?)
  3. Hack the render off and start again
Questions:
  • If skimming is even possible, is there a risk that it could chip off after time or have any other undesirable effects?
  • Has anyone used/have experience of this special monocouche paint?
  • Does painting (even with the "special" paint) defeat the purpose of monocouche and leave me with a re-painting job every few years?
  • In the unlikely event they will hack off and start again, will this cause any problems for me further down the line?
Thanks again in advance

I can't be the only guy to have a customer jumping up and down just after a scrape saying that the colour was wrong surely?

2-3 weeks to get to the correct final colour, every manufacturer states that is their curing time.

I have it on most mono jobs, customers always say it looks darker, silver pearl looks grey straight after, Ivory looks orange (not quite as bad your pic mind) that mushroom job I did it was unreal the colour change over 2 weeks.

Regarding your pictures And the work, I'd leave it for a few weeks until you knows it's fully cured then start comparing with colour charts, no point comparing with the other house, it's that job and the colour on the chart that need to match.

I see the roof tiles were well mixed in ,and what happened on the hips of that bay:sorprendido3: so the rendering job looks good even if shade out . but guess someone got to have a pop at someone .:cachetada:

Different bricks as well aren't they? Is it not just a slightly different colour scheme on that road maybe?
Yes they are different bricks to the show home and was advertised as such.

The issue is purely with the render which was sold as the same colour as the show home.

Do you do much mono @cassie, like day in day out ?
not day in day out ( who does ) but know the colour is what it is pretty much a couple days after... thats if it keeps sunny, get rain on it and obviously it darkens etc,, doing one today, colour chalk, and when its rubbed up tonite im pretty confident it wont look red...lol

Thanks for all of the quick responses, it genuinely is appreciated.

Since posting I have heard back from the builder who are "seeing what they can do" for me.

Realistically (and remember I am not in the trade) there seem to be 3 options to me, aside from of course just accepting it and doing nothing:
  1. Skim over the top of the existing render with the correct colour monocouche
  2. Paint over it (I read about some special monocouche paint the manufacturers have developed specifically for this purpose?)
  3. Hack the render off and start again
Questions:
  • If skimming is even possible, is there a risk that it could chip off after time or have any other undesirable effects?
  • Does painting (even with the "special" paint) defeat the purpose of monocouche and leave me with a re-painting job every few years?
  • In the unlikely event they will hack off and start again, will this cause any problems for me further down the line?
Thanks again in advance

I have no experience of skimming over monocouche, but I wouldn't like the idea of probably over 30mm of render sat on the front of my house, it might look of from the road but the detailing around windows and stop beads might be compromised.
I also have no experience of painting mono, but it's not going to be the same colour as what's underneath so in my eyes it does defeat the purpose, other guys on here might know what the paint is like.
Hacking and starting again seems extreme, it's probably well bonded to the breeze or brick so it would be a messy job, but saying that if your not happy with it and want a through colour mono it's the best way, it's not a massive area so would only a few days but it's completely up to you.

Just a thought, I'm no expert on buying houses, but the colour doesn't seem bad, neither does the finish (no misses or halos) and correct me if I'm wrong in assuming your buying this house, why not try and come to some sort of agreement in knocking, say, 3-3.5k off the price you paid

Just a thought, I'm no expert on buying houses, but the colour doesn't seem bad, neither does the finish (no misses or halos) and correct me if I'm wrong in assuming your buying this house, why not try and come to some sort of agreement in knocking, say, 3-3.5k off the price you paid
Thanks for taking the time to reply again Mac :) Sorry if it seems I am taking a while to respond, every message I post is delayed by hours as it has to be "moderated" by the forum admins, presumably because I'm a new member here.

Indeed I am buying the house, it was bought off plan so obviously I have been through the paperwork which details pretty much every aspect of the house - colour of bricks, render, tiles etc etc. The added advantage I had was that the showhome (pictured) was already built on the same development, and therefore I could cross reference the elements that were the same on the paperwork for both houses. One of these was the render.

As you can imagine the house wasn't exactly cheap, and in any event I don't think its unreasonable of me to expect them to deliver according to the specifications on the paperwork. And as others have (not so kindly) pointed out, this is just another thing on top of a few other niggles that we needn't go into now.

Yes the colour looks ok but I do much prefer the lighter colour hence me pursuing the matter :)
  • The quickest and most likely thing they will offer (thinking about cost to them) is to paint over to achieve the desired lighter colour. This would concern me, as the finish on the mono seems somewhat sandy in texture so wasn't sure how well the paint would stick... I don't really want to have to deal with repainting jobs a few years down the line because of their mistake.
  • I also wanted to know any downside to painting affecting the "breathability" of the render - a layer of paint would effectively seal it up right?
  • I would of course consider a cash offer from them too. Would £3k to £3.5k as you mentioned be a ballpark estimate to hack and re-render 1 facing of around 32 m2? Just so I have a figure to go to them with.
I wanted to be well informed before agreeing to anything they might offer, as I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by accepting something that would come back to bite me in a few years.

Cheers

Only good nockin money off if the colour is right for them , no good if they dont like the colour as if buying a house like that you want it to be a place they like ?

That special monocouche paint will be equalising paint. Depends on who's.

Webers is a paint more like silicone sandtex. But there are others that are not too bad.

You could negoiate for a nano techology self cleaning paint. But it is a paint. If your immediate neighbours are rendered yours will look the odd one out.

Bugger that! If I was the builder I would give the customer their deposit back.

My house was a bargain. Bought in the slump of December 82 but while it was being built the market picked up. They did what they could to get us to back out but I strung it out and even moved back into mom and dads. Worked. Price went up on the neighbours from 22k to 26k.

Status
Not open for further replies.