How do I achieve this old world look?

I have achieved something similar with lime , if not the same but I have to see it to tell what it is. I have chosen coarser sand and finished it like Venetian- same short strokes and after firmed went on top with the trowel just to flatten slightly the high spots . Lime wash with the brush the same way and you will have very nice finish, which actually makes the wall alive and the more you are looking at it the more you like it . It gives the wall dept than normal plastering never will.
U need to get laid son

I have achieved something similar with lime , if not the same but I have to see it to tell what it is. I have chosen coarser sand and finished it like Venetian- same short strokes and after firmed went on top with the trowel just to flatten slightly the high spots . Lime wash with the brush the same way and you will have very nice finish, which actually makes the wall alive and the more you are looking at it the more you like it . It gives the wall dept than normal plastering never will.

Hi vfr12,
Thank you for your advice. Do you have any pictures of your work?

When you say Venetian, what do you then mean?

Even with the base plaster coat and finish limewash I am still confused about how to make the aged look stand out.

Atleast let him finish tugging himself off over his last thread..with sounds of it he got aroused writing it

Hi vfr12,

Even with the base plaster coat and finish limewash I am still confused about how to make the aged look stand out.
By Venetian I mean short strokes different angles. When you float your finishing coat you should bring the aggregate out and from there with the trowel you’ll have smooth and rough spots. The smoot spots painted will always be lighter. With different paints you can finish it as you like. The paint will give you the finish younare after for a great picture, but the texture will make it look great when you stand in front of it.There are very good lime paints out there , is just a case of experimenting.

Hi there,

For a long time I have adored the look of the wall and ceiling finish of an old French chateau that was restored. I suppose that lime plaster and limewash was used to achieve the looks, but after hours of googling I have not been able to find out the exact approach to do the finish. I am sure that it is some sort of traditional method, so no faux painting, etc.

The look can be seen on the attached pictures. It is somewhat rustic and aged, and the walls are not perfectly straight/even thus giving a play of shadows and light.

Question 1:
With a flat drywall as my base, how do I achieve a soft, 'uneven' wall base finish like in the pictures?

Question 2:
How do I achieve the aged, rustic look of the walls? My guess is that it is either colored lime plaster or a finish coat of lime wash over a plaster base. If so, what are the exact steps of application etc?

Hoping somebody is able to guide me in the right direction.

Best wishes,

Hi mate. Welcome to TPF. It's hard to explain how yo achieve what your after. Vfr has nailed it on the head though really. Look at this image
3f82859758e935e3b0955e2c9f0d5b97.jpg

This would be a way to base out one of the pics you added. Creating a vertical drag with this as a base then go on top with a medium to fine grain plaster and worked in. It will give a semi polished smooth appearance. To get the old world worn look it would be down to colour choice . Picking the correct tone would be difficult and possibly some trial and error needed. Google pics of Venetian plaster and more old Italian images and it will help to narrow down how to achieve this

Hi mate. Welcome to TPF. It's hard to explain how yo achieve what your after. Vfr has nailed it on the head though really. Look at this image
View attachment 27869

This would be a way to base out one of the pics you added. Creating a vertical drag with this as a base then go on top with a medium to fine grain plaster and worked in. It will give a semi polished smooth appearance. To get the old world worn look it would be down to colour choice . Picking the correct tone would be difficult and possibly some trial and error needed. Google pics of Venetian plaster and more old Italian images and it will help to narrow down how to achieve this

Hi RobJack, thank you for your reply and for a very nice image.

Is the base coat on your image consisting of just one or more layers? Can you detail out the technique to texture it like that?

Hi RobJack, thank you for your reply and for a very nice image.

Is the base coat on your image consisting of just one or more layers? Can you detail out the technique to texture it like that?

That would be 2 layers. An initial layer applied and left to dry shock provides a base and gives suction for a second layer. On the second coat the plaster is scratched back when nearly dry to get a travertine effect then trowelled some more to close in to how you want it

O s**t sorry for the late reply I was banging your mum to. Dun dun tasssss
f**k**g hell choppa your that un important and not funny i cant even be arsed having a ding dong with you..if i want a ding dong of this kind of magnitude il nip to my daughters playground when shes back at school..crack on:sleep:

f**k**g hell choppa your that un important and not funny i cant even be arsed having a ding dong with you..if i want a ding dong of this kind of magnitude il nip to my daughters playground when shes back at school..crack on:sleep:

Hi vfr12,

Not much into taking pictures of my job! Here is one , not painted yet. You can see what I ment with my previous post.
9688493F-3DF8-4205-AADD-9AEBCB6D9BA9.jpeg