Home owner - please critique this job?

Members online

Natalie78

Hi all.

First post. Long story short, old house late 17c. Two bedrooms blown plaster work poorly insulated. Husband and I removed blown eaves plaster and lathe, insulated with celotex removed all window frame skirts coving and picture rail. Fitted metal brace bars to support old walls as historical subsidence.

We ordered in advance 27mm insulated panels for external walls and 9.5 for other walls.Called in plasterer, usual story has a finish like marble, don't pay until happy.

Concerns from day one. Dot and dabbed but pushed boards on hard against existing solid render and bare brick leaving bowed boards etc - I queried him as suggested it would need to be flat to start with of wanted flat result etc. He skimmed but on checking I could still push the board I.e not solid. He drilled into it and filled with expanding foam and as expected wall bowed out at bottom. Catalogue of errors.

He then said he had a decorator coming to smooth walls and miss coat to show any problems which was totally unnecessary as could see problems. Decorator walked out saying it was awful. Called in plasterer lecturer local college time served etc who was shocked rarely seen such a bad job.

If his house would pull out and start again. Will cost what first guy wants to charge to get rough bits cut out repaired and total reskim. Plus need to buy again insulated boards I have already paid for once. No money has passed hands yet. Original guy said it was a nightmare job worst he has done and he should have walked away however is chasing for payment. Am I within my rights to not pay?

I feel sorry all round. Nice guy but can't pay for work to be done twice just because he is a nice guy? Pics if needed. Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Arrange meet with said joker and reputable local plasterer at the same time putting the plasterer in the picture that you need a price and back up leaving said eejit nowhere to squirm.
Is shocking.

I love the way everybody jumps in to say it's s**t. It's all down to the £££££££ u can even tell by the original post it was all about cheap cheap cheap.

£150 a day so not spectacularly cheap? Had labourers/builders in end of last year to remove chimney stack and skim room who did a better job than this on half the plasterers daily rate.

It wasn't about cheap at all. We have done the jobs we can do well ourselves and called in trades for jobs that either would take us too long or trades would do better

what were the reasons he qouted for it being a nightmare job?

Hi all.

First post. Long story short, old house late 17c. Two bedrooms blown plaster work poorly insulated. Husband and I removed blown eaves plaster and lathe, insulated with celotex removed all window frame skirts coving and picture rail. Fitted metal brace bars to support old walls as historical subsidence.

We ordered in advance 27mm insulated panels for external walls and 9.5 for other walls.Called in plasterer, usual story has a finish like marble, don't pay until happy.

Concerns from day one. Dot and dabbed but pushed boards on hard against existing solid render and bare brick leaving bowed boards etc - I queried him as suggested it would need to be flat to start with of wanted flat result etc. He skimmed but on checking I could still push the board I.e not solid. He drilled into it and filled with expanding foam and as expected wall bowed out at bottom. Catalogue of errors.

He then said he had a decorator coming to smooth walls and miss coat to show any problems which was totally unnecessary as could see problems. Decorator walked out saying it was awful. Called in plasterer lecturer local college time served etc who was shocked rarely seen such a bad job.

If his house would pull out and start again. Will cost what first guy wants to charge to get rough bits cut out repaired and total reskim. Plus need to buy again insulated boards I have already paid for once. No money has passed hands yet. Original guy said it was a nightmare job worst he has done and he should have walked away however is chasing for payment. Am I within my rights to not pay?

I feel sorry all round. Nice guy but can't pay for work to be done twice just because he is a nice guy? Pics if needed. Thanks in advance.

if you post what area you are in im sure.someone here can come and cost to repair.

i wpuldnt say you need to reorder insulated boards.

possible to mushroom fix into blockwork and bond out to level.

I love the way everybody jumps in to say it's s**t. It's all down to the £££££££ u can even tell by the original post it was all about cheap cheap cheap.
I said it was
Looking good

But it is shocking
Well to be honest its not, see it all the time ..

That guy paid £150 a day and can't plaster I waiting for me payment of my plonker dude..and mine was 10/10

Crazy

Thanks I do appreciate the helpful replies. I know it's shite, that is without debate. My query really is given I need to pay someone else to redo is it justified to not pay for original job. I'm not out to rip anybody off however don't feel I should pay twice to have job done. Have new plasterer booked via the guy from the college.

theres cheap.and theres f**k**g it up. and that clearly hasnt even had an experienced attempt.

Am not saying he didn't f**k it up or he knows what he was doing. Am just saying how many times have you priced at job and they get someone else at half the price. I'd be delighted if I had of priced that job and didn't get it. And then that to happen.