Hi! looking for advice please, on micro cement, in the USA

Rosie

Hello all - I am writing from Florida where I'm renovating a 1960's house with a sunken, step down tub. It is cut into the concrete slab and has concrete walls that were previously tiled. I don't want to re-tile it so looking at options; plaster? or micro cement? reconcrete and seal it? I have found a great plasterer, he does pools, who's willing to help with install but the swimming pool products he's used to are not applicable as they stay wet. Any product and install advice would be much appreciated. No one seems to use micro cement over here so I'm stuck. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• MasterBath.JPG
    MasterBath.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
Hi Rosie and welcome!

Sorry I’ve never used it myself but you can use the search and answers will come up.

From what I’ve read it’s all about who has manufactured it as some products are good and some fail.

There’s a few Americans on here who may know good products over there. @Heritage Plasters springs to mind

Hello all - I am writing from Florida where I'm renovating a 1960's house with a sunken, step down tub. It is cut into the concrete slab and has concrete walls that were previously tiled. I don't want to re-tile it so looking at options; plaster? or micro cement? reconcrete and seal it? I have found a great plasterer, he does pools, who's willing to help with install but the swimming pool products he's used to are not applicable as they stay wet. Any product and install advice would be much appreciated. No one seems to use micro cement over here so I'm stuck. Thanks very much.

I'm late to the party but yes you can use plaster in a shower. It's all about the prep work. You water proof the area like you would for tile and then start your plaster process on top of that. I would look at Nova color walls2floor system as an option or Vasari Plaster has nice lime Plasters that can be used in showers with additives and sealers. Of the two I'd recommend Vasari because I think you have more options and I feel it looks better. That being said it is VERY different than pool plastering and may be a tough project if he isn't familiar with the product. I'm not saying it's rocket science or overly hard but there are a lot of steps and if you have a specific look you're going for I wouldn't have much confidence in someone being successful in their first attempt. Get some extra material and do a few practice boards to get comfortable.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Pic is of a shower I finished a few weeks ago. There is a silver patina on the plaster that doesn't really come through but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20190913_132855.jpg
    20190913_132855.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 213
  • 20190913_132834.jpg
    20190913_132834.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 195
Il come over and sort it for you should take about 4 weeks are you anywhere near disney land and can you arrange for me to swim with dolphins? Welcome along (y)

I'm late to the party but yes you can use plaster in a shower. It's all about the prep work. You water proof the area like you would for tile and then start your plaster process on top of that. I would look at Nova color walls2floor system as an option or Vasari Plaster has nice lime Plasters that can be used in showers with additives and sealers. Of the two I'd recommend Vasari because I think you have more options and I feel it looks better. That being said it is VERY different than pool plastering and may be a tough project if he isn't familiar with the product. I'm not saying it's rocket science or overly hard but there are a lot of steps and if you have a specific look you're going for I wouldn't have much confidence in someone being successful in their first attempt. Get some extra material and do a few practice boards to get comfortable.

Pic is of a shower I finished a few weeks ago. There is a silver patina on the plaster that doesn't really come through but you get the idea.
That’s cool, like the piece of tree in the middle! Wonder where Rosie went!

Hope you’re well love

Hi Heritage Plaster, wondering if you think this same plaster process for the shower would work for kitchen countertops and shelves. Using the photo below as inspo

Attachments

• C0D91169-95F0-4C3D-8ECA-BB76054E5369.jpeg
    C0D91169-95F0-4C3D-8ECA-BB76054E5369.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 166
Hi Heritage Plaster, wondering if you think this same plaster process for the shower would work for kitchen countertops and shelves. Using the photo below as inspo

Those countertops are very possible but you're going to want to use microcement to get that look. Similar application techniques as plaster but your picture definitely looks like microcement or a precast countertop.

There are several suppliers for microcement if you do a quick Google search you'll see what ones are available here (ardex made the material on the last microcement project I did)

For the shower I'd recommended looking into Vasari or Lime Strong and for your countertops and shelves I'd go with microcement because it's so durable and makes a great wear surface but be warned, it can be a major headache to work with if you haven't done it before. Some material sets up in 30 minutes and that will only give you about 20 minutes of actual working time and becomes unusable.

If you want to pm where in Florida you are I might be able to get you a few names of people who do this down that way. I've been down there a few times myself in the last year for projects. It's a small world in the plaster trade.

I have a few pictures of the last microcement project I worked on about a month ago. The white wall was about 20x12 and curved but I didn't get good pictures of it unfortunately.

Attachments

• 20200202_184917.jpg
    20200202_184917.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
  • 20200202_184605.jpg
    20200202_184605.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200202_184621.jpg
    20200202_184621.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200202_184453.jpg
    20200202_184453.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
  • 20200202_184424.jpg
    20200202_184424.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Tadelakt