Hi guys, first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John3112

Hi guy's this is my first post here, My name is John and im 21 and i have come here because i need some help, in dire straights at the minute it would appear, anyway ill give you a little back story so you can keep up with how situations lead me here etc

Few week's back, hadn't had a job for 2 year's my business failed, lost my girlfriend of 4 and half year's, and i was dealing with a pretty rough patch. All my friend's had jobs, girlfriends and everything was going well for them and my friends would take me to the pub, and help me out with things because i was stone cold broke, literally had nothing. Anyway i have 2 friends who i have known both for 15+ year's and they work together as plasterers, they decide to make me on ( YAY JOB, Money, no girlfriend but who cares partyyy)

However, i cannot mix up im there to learn and become a plasterer im a labourer at the moment and my job is to get the mix on as fast as possible, the faster the better but i keep screwing it up like i just cannot grasp how to get the mix to the right consistency, 9 times out of 10 they have to come add water/plaster to the mix to get it right. For example "This is so stiff are you trying to break my arm" or "This look's like wee"

Sometime's is too stiff, sometimes too runny, sometimes just god awful. And i can sense there frustration as i have being trying to master it for 2 week's now, but i just cannot seem to do it, i get everything going swimmingly and then right at the end when measuring for consistency i just go to pot, not sure how it's ment to feel or look or anything, they just take a look "Needs more X" and i am like, how do you know?!. I know they're frustrated with it and so am i, i cannot even mix plaster for god sakes, i can mix Dotting that's easy, plaster not so much. Like, i don't actually know what to do i have watched videos, my plaster look's like theirs, but then it's too stiff when it comes time to pour it out or it's too wet and i have no idea how to gauge it.

Any advice would be amazing, because i should have mastered this by now and i haven't and it's driving me and the boss crazy. I'm really trying but everytime i do it wrong my soul dies a little and i think "Maybe i just cannot do this, god awful simple thing"

some thing's to note.

We mix with a big bucket, 1 Black builders bucket of water and 1 bag of plaster, then we add as needed, it's the adding water/plaster part i cannot really fathom and checking for consistency, i kind of just poke at it like a kid does with a dead rat thinking "Hmm, quite **** at mixing plaster ain't i" My friend said "Like mixing angel delight" i cannot even make cheese on toast, nevermind a pudding.

Any help would be great.

We do full builds bucket to one bag , get them to put a mark on the water bucket mate to how they like it ,easy as that ,they sound like hard work to me :RpS_unsure:

Hi John

Welcome to the forum...

This is actually a common problem for new labourers so don't feel like your alone :)

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where it into great detail and I think @essexandy had a great way to get a consistant mix :)

The thing is though is to try it differently every time... the easiest thing to guage is the plaster it self... so for me a 1 bag of plaster (multi finish) is just over 1 big black bucket of water :)

Once you have worked out how they like it you will be able to guage from how much water to the full bag you need :)

I am sure there will be loads more replies :) And also better help :)

Danny

Last edited:
Well, they know im new and i have never really done anything like this before, use to just sit inside playing my xbox, Ill ask them to put a mark on the bucket. If i could just get my head around the consistency thing i would be fine.

Sometimes it looks really good, but then pouring it out it's really stiff or really wet, will ask them to mark the bucket where i should fill to with water, Thank's for the reply mate.

Head up mate , to come on a forum ,you must be worrying , there is no need , stick around ,guys on here are very helpful , and the banter will make you laugh ,best of luck in the future

Mate seriously it's a learning curve and never easy I remember my first day and I was completely f**ked !! Use the line on the bucket method that's the best way by far . The thickness of custard is about right .

Welcome along John, don't panic just stick at it and it will become second nature. Best of luck bud

Thank's for the tip on making Cheese on toast :p

I use my gauging trowel, but i still cannot do it. I watched a video earlier and i may try it like them, if it fall's off the trowel then it's too wet, what it need's to do is sit there and keep it's shape, maybe that will help me.

I really appreciate all your kind words, my friends ain't mean about it or anything either, but im just as frustrated as them, it's really simple in context but i just cannot get my head around it, i'm sure when i do i will be thinking "HOW did i not do it right everytime, it's so simple!"

Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome and helping me, i will definatly try what you have all suggested with marking the bucket. I cannot fathom how welcoming you lot are, im humbled, thank you for all the help and kind words! :)

Ah..the memories .:rolleyes)stick at it you'll get there .:RpS_thumbup:
if they give you grief.. tell them to go feck themselves and mix their own gear...............then wait for the slap..:-0.....good luck.

Yes, i use a whisk to mix with, we are getting a new one on tuesday, the one we have now is really crap, even the other 2 lads are like "This whisk is crap"

Don't get it mixed perfectly lump free before checking consistency. Chuck water in. Chuck some powder in. Whisk it. Till its all mixed together but still not lump free. Check it with your trowel. It should have a nice sheen to it when its correct. People like it differently though. I like it quite wet where as other spreads I work with like it stiffer.

Yes, i use a whisk to mix with, we are getting a new one on tuesday, the one we have now is really crap, even the other 2 lads are like "This whisk is crap"

You sure they're not on the booze :RpS_confused:

"This whiskey's crap" :-0

Gauging trowel is best way so when you run it around the side of the bucket the plaster sits abit like a 45 degree angle after u have been around tell them to show u what they want it like and also the bucket and mark way is ok if its just one bag , its not always full bags best way defo just using a gauging trowel . Also you should not be adding water to the bucket after you have started mixing have the amount you are going to mix up then add the plaster accordingly and dont put to much in once its getting somewhere near just a scoop or half scoop it doesnt take to much to over do it
Hope this helps you

Don't get it mixed perfectly lump free before checking consistency. Chuck water in. Chuck some powder in. Whisk it. Till its all mixed together but still not lump free. Check it with your trowel. It should have a nice sheen to it when its correct. People like it differently though. I like it quite wet where as other spreads I work with like it stiffer.
G** section @ artisan

Gauging trowel is best way so when you run it around the side of the bucket the plaster sits abit like a 45 degree angle after u have been around tell them to show u what they want it like and also the bucket and mark way is ok if its just one bag , its not always full bags best way defo just using a gauging trowel . Also you should not be adding water to the bucket after you have started mixing have the amount you are going to mix up then add the plaster accordingly and dont put to much in once its getting somewhere near just a scoop or half scoop it doesnt take to much to over do it
Hope this helps you

like most people have Said its just practice,this guys advice is pretty spot on tho.You'll know better when you start spreading yourself.

People like it differently though. I like it quite wet where as other spreads I work with like it stiffer.

Pmsl there's a section of the forum just crying out for you Steve .:RpS_wub: bring your thong.:RpS_sneaky:

Seriously Not too panic matey, with patience by both parties you will eventually get it right. Practice makes perfect!

Good Luck :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.