hi all new here any advice welcome (reading this will prob bore you )

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu412

Hi all i know i will have people here tell me do an some not to do it but im 32 family man 3 kids used to work groundworks years ago but changed direction an spent last 5 yrs as a tattooist getting lazy and fat but due to the way of the world its is hard to find a studio without keep moving around so i have decided to get myself a better profession. so while i have been out of work an my wife only part time i have gone back to college for plastering with the intentions of setting myself up at the end of it as i can use my scenic to carry tools about and there isnt quite the large outlay for tools etc like other trades. but my college changed the way they do there courses now so i had to do a level 1 construction which ment me doing 5 week blocks in painting decorating, carpentry, plumbing , brickwork and finally plastering which i have just started this week, after this 5 weeks on plastering is up we then choose what area we want to progress then carry it on as level 2 btec for the remainder of the year. but after trying a taster and passing assessments in the other areas i have now decided yes to carry on plastering but at the end turn my hand at a bit of everything maybe set up in property maintenance.
well sorry to all for boring you there but i would welcome any advice from people other than my plastering tutor can give me as i know everyone will have there own little ideas or ways of how they work things, so whether it be tools ideas on possible job pricings areas to look for jobs an put in for work, help with how to go about setting my self up one day in the future or anyone around the wisbech cambridgeshire area that doest mind me maybe tagging along in the future to watch an mix etc.
if your still awake after reading my essay cheers for your time james

why diddnt you go back to groundworks???
forget about pricing at the mo concentrate on your course and get yourself in with a proper time served spread to learn all the ins and outs properly, do a couple of years with said spread and see where your at

That was one long paragraph. Phew!

You will need to learn the trade first of someone. What you learn in college is only the very basics and nowhere near enough to get by in the real world. try and get to work with a fully experienced plasterer and when you are as good as he is then consider going on your own.

Also remember what you said about it is a cheap trade to get into? Well thats why there is a lot starting up on their own because they can. What you haven't got you can hire. But that is one of the reasons prices have collapsed. To much competition and the desperate ones buy work leaving the real professionals struggling. The cheap guys eventually give up but he real pro's if they can survive have wounds to heal.

They tell everyone on courses that they are good. You paying them money so they always nod there heads. Spend time with a proper spread and hell teach you all you need mate :RpS_thumbup:

cheers i will def be looking for some real world experience as i know its a whole dif ball game from a purpose built room to a proper job. as for not going back ground work i like the idea of variety of work but also still want a set trade im qualified in as again for future chances of setting myself up groundworks would cost thousands and be a struggle as a one man band

learn one trade properly first, great to know everything ,but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing at timess

well make sure you get in with a good spread then if its what you really wanna do you might even have to offer yourself for a trial for free just to get yourself in with a chance, but as has been said courses will never leave you with the experience to just finish and start on your own, dnt expect to make bucks either, youll need a lot of watching to start with and this is where you will learn your lessons, its a long road to becoming competent enough to go out there price up, win and complete to a professional high standard, a job.
good luck though, start looking for local spreads now

Id say firstly finish your course, maybe inbetween ring local spreads and see if any labouring going and if your that keen work for free in your spare time or around course/ job....

Then you need all your tools, pointless buying cheapish stuff as will only need replacing etc down the line ...

Then if you have any plastering at home needs doin then do that and stand back and ask yourself is this something i'd firsly be happy with if another spread came in and had done it and 2nd is it immaculate ?? No blemishes , lines, ripples when painted etc

I only say the above cos if you do take jobs on and it isnt upto scratch then you could ruin yourself whilst trying to get established and also knock your confidence ... if your unsure then continue labouring and working til you feel your able to provide a finish that is basically blemish free etc

Welcome along Maiblu142
Just watch out for them tiger stripes :)

Have you done tiling before :RpS_unsure:

Welcome James, It's never too late to develop another skill. You could well become a very good spread because your skills as a tattoo artist imply that you already have good attention to detail and form. You may even like to consider fibrous plastering because it is a more delicate and intricate profession where your artistic talents will become utilised more extensively. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to pursue :)

some of my pals are ground workers and they have earned huge somes of money, there always is money in concrete, i would stick with what i know if i was you.

Status
Not open for further replies.