Help please!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah parsons

Im really hoping someone on this forum can give me some advice. Bit of a long story.. Il be quick..

We decided to decorate our dining room.. Chipped off a small amount of paint that was lose on the ceiling and realised all the paint was loose, we have now cleared the whole ceiling and its got some sort of blue powder on it, between what looks like fairly new plaster and the layer of paint that was on. I dont know what it is but i presume this is what was stopping the paint from sticking, it has literally come off like wall paper, with a scraper, question is what do i do now? Im not great with decorating but i was hoping some plasterers might have come across this before and can give me some advice. Some one mentioned blue grit? I looked online and it does look like that stuff but how do i get rid, i presume painting over it will have the same effect as before.

Can anyone give me any advice.

Im really hoping someone on this forum can give me some advice. Bit of a long story.. Il be quick..

We decided to decorate our dining room.. Chipped off a small amount of paint that was lose on the ceiling and realised all the paint was loose, we have now cleared the whole ceiling and its got some sort of blue powder on it, between what looks like fairly new plaster and the layer of paint that was on. I dont know what it is but i presume this is what was stopping the paint from sticking, it has literally come off like wall paper, with a scraper, question is what do i do now? Im not great with decorating but i was hoping some plasterers might have come across this before and can give me some advice. Some one mentioned blue grit? I looked online and it does look like that stuff but how do i get rid, i presume painting over it will have the same effect as before.

Can anyone give me any advice.

Give some local plasterers a call to take a look.
If it's between the plaster and paint it wouldn't be blue grit this goes under the plaster which is still intact?

Post some pics that will get a good answer?

The plaster is still intact, it just seems as if the person who did it has done something wrong. We have tried cleaning it, it looks great but then drys dusty and blue again.

Attachments

• Help please!!!!
    DSC_1432.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 504
That's what we have used. It looks good but it drys a bit powdery again. You can see on the picture i uploaded if it works - the bits we have scrubbed and its dried. I think we just need to put in lots of effort and it will be ok. I just need to make sure when we paint it ourselves it doesn't crack and peel off again.

The plaster looks good. Quite new. The whole room is in good condition but for some reason this blue stuff is only on the ceiling? I want to keep the mess to a minimum, the dust especially as i have a young baby.

The plaster looks good. Quite new. The whole room is in good condition but for some reason this blue stuff is only on the ceiling? I want to keep the mess to a minimum, the dust especially as i have a young baby.

If it's powder try and wash it off then, this will congeal the dust in goo.

Yes we have been washing it off it drys like powder again. Just need to make sure i can paint over it. I just wanted to know what it is. Thanks everyone so far. Someone else has said to use a stabilising solution so looks like that is what we are going to do.

its nothing to do with the plastering,, its what ever the painter put on as a mist coat, some painters use any old s**t they have left over,, maybe an idea to get a good decorator round to have a look at it and get some advice of him rather than plasterers

That's what we have used. It looks good but it drys a bit powdery again. You can see on the picture i uploaded if it works - the bits we have scrubbed and its dried. I think we just need to put in lots of effort and it will be ok. I just need to make sure when we paint it ourselves it doesn't crack and peel off again.

sorry missed this bit.... scrap my last comment....

Hard to say without really seeing it... try sanding it back to the plaster.... using a sanding pole or... get a painter in :D

Its distemper, clean it all off with plain luke warm water and sponge( use gloves) until all the blue/green has gone. As jurek said then use stabilising solution, leave to dry and paint.

Its distemper, clean it all off with plain luke warm water and sponge( use gloves) until all the blue/green has gone. As jurek said then use stabilising solution, leave to dry and paint.

Thank you so much. Thats what i needed to know. Im determined to do this myself and not pay someone else!! Better get on with it!

Isn't distemper an old type of paint though?? why would it be put on top of new plaster? It is an old house but this room has obviously been plastered fairly recently.

Last edited:
sarah, you're overthinking it. though it's a good point. just use stabilising solution on it and paint over, or sand it off with some 60 grade. its hard to tell from the picture, but it's a period ceiling. someone has had it skimmed and then painted like a duckegg blue or similar to accent the features but they havent sealed the new plaster first. if you just seal it and paint - because you don't want to pay anyone - use a heavy pile roller. that way you will get a slight nap on the paint and it might hide the contour of any paint remaining and the scraper marks. the finish would look better if you just sanded it down. then you wouldnt have to use a stabiling solution. you could just water your first coat of paint down.

by the way, are you in anway connected with the alan parsons project?

sarah, you're overthinking it. though it's a good point. just use stabilising solution on it and paint over, or sand it off with some 60 grade. its hard to tell from the picture, but it's a period ceiling. someone has had it skimmed and then painted like a duckegg blue or similar to accent the features but they havent sealed the new plaster first. if you just seal it and paint - because you don't want to pay anyone - use a heavy pile roller. that way you will get a slight nap on the paint and it might hide the contour of any paint remaining and the scraper marks. the finish would look better if you just sanded it down. then you wouldnt have to use a stabiling solution. you could just water your first coat of paint down.

by the way, are you in anway connected with the alan parsons project?

I'm not over thinking it at all im just curious to know what it is. This is my home after all and i want to know details of what it is and what to do incase i come across it in future when doing other rooms. Im sorry if you feel I'm going on i will leave it now, i just wanted some advice and thought this forum could help, which it has so thank you everyone. Im new to decorating, it's not that i dont want to pay i would just like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Im not sanding it because of the dust with my baby boy. I will wash it all down and use stabilising solution then paint with a heavy pile roller and see how it goes. Hopefully the paint will stay on this time!!

No i dont know what the Alan Parsons project is sorry?

youre not going on at all, sarah. im sorry. ive been under a lot of pressure at work, lately. youre welcome on here anytime, unlike some others. and youre right, if you learn now it will be of benefit in the future. yeah, just use a stabilising solution and paint. post some pics of the finished product and let us know if it worked. i use this stabilising solution. cheap and good at the same time. a rare combination.

https://www.toolandfix.com/bond-it-bdh130-stabilising-solution-bonding-and-primer-5l-46049.html

thanks.

jurek

I was a bit snappy then sorry everyone. Learning to decorate is hard work.. Very stressful! I'll be a professional in no time though i think.
I am sure for £150 ish someone wills reskim it to make it look 10/10 then all u have to do is paint it...for the sake of a bit of cash it's not worth u spending all your time trying to sort it out and it will still probably look rubbish ..
:rock:

I am sure for £150 ish someone wills reskim it to make it look 10/10 then all u have to do is paint it...for the sake of a bit of cash it's not worth u spending all your time trying to sort it out and it will still probably look rubbish ..
Spot on advice that is

Well this is hard work....

I dont mind giving it a go first. Ive got plenty of time so il see how i get on. Getting it re skimmed is my back up plan! Thank you for your advice though, you are probably right!!

I have got rid of alot of the blue anyway now, ive mopped the ceiling basically lol. Its looking ok so far!

Surely though if its distemper your in the same boat skimming as just painting ? The ceiling looks fine just need rid of the blue paint .... ???

Surely though if its distemper your in the same boat skimming as just painting ? The ceiling looks fine just need rid of the blue paint .... ???

All the blue is now gone, ive washed it off finally!! Went to a local diy store they said just to pva it so ive done that and it seems fine so far. Hopefully will get a coat of paint on it today and see how that goes.

All the blue is now gone, ive washed it off finally!! Went to a local diy store they said just to pva it so ive done that and it seems fine so far. Hopefully will get a coat of paint on it today and see how that goes.
Good stabilizer would of been better, not sure why they told you to pva it unless your skimming it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.