Help! Plaster falling off of nails in loft extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookiecutter

Hi all,

We moved into our house 4 years ago. The loft extension was done and decorated - not sure how old it is but probably about 15 years old.

I want to decorate by painting the room but there are several bit of plaster which have fallen off over flat nail heads which are about 10mm. There are several other spots where the plaster has not come off but the plaster is cracking and slightly raised.

I can see from various posts that nails should not have been used but my question is - what steps do I need to take so that I can decorate?

Hello,

what I probable would do is get some dry wall screws and re screw the boards..... just screw next to the nails this will push the board back to wards the joists and then use filler to fill.

Normally the nails pop because they are moving :)

Hello,

what I probable would do is get some dry wall screws and re screw the boards..... just screw next to the nails this will push the board back to wards the joists and then use filler to fill.

Normally the nails pop because they are moving :)

What he said!

seen people knock the nails back up with a punch and patch up...... dodgy or wot

Fantastic advice. I was going to do what Artisan 998 said was dodgy :RpS_bored: but on speaking to my stepdad he didn't think it was a good idea. I will tell him your advice and ask for his valuable assistance.

if you drive it too far in it will split the paper and the boards will bounce again. If the nails are already popping whats the point of banging them in again. just repair it properly with drywall screws, job done

if you drive it too far in it will split the paper and the boards will bounce again. If the nails are already popping whats the point of banging them in again. just repair it properly with drywall screws, job done

No, drive it right in past the board. How do you think they sorted it 20+ years ago?

I'm not saying it is a better repair than screwing, but it works and you don't have to chase poppers right across the ceiling.

No, drive it right in past the board. How do you think they sorted it 20+ years ago?

I'm not saying it is a better repair than screwing, but it works and you don't have to chase poppers right across the ceiling.

I just dont see how driving it past the board secures the board back up, im sure screws werent just invented in the past 20 years

I just dont see how driving it past the board secures the board back up, im sure screws werent just invented in the past 20 years

It doesn't, however a board isn't only held by one nail. The strain is taken by the other 30 or so nails.

You are correct in assuming that screws were invented more than 20 years ago, however they weren't used by plasterers widely until relatively recently (10+ years ago).

The more paranoid used to just bang another nail in beside the one that was popping after or before driving it in.

just screw as previously said,then fill with regular polyfilla.screw as necessary any that po just fill until its all secured,i use car body filler on woodwork when im decorating,but its not necessary on walls or ceilings.

It doesn't, however a board isn't only held by one nail. The strain is taken by the other 30 or so nails.

You are correct in assuming that screws were invented more than 20 years ago, however they weren't used by plasterers widely until relatively recently (10+ years ago).

The more paranoid used to just bang another nail in beside the one that was popping after or before driving it in.
PMSL :RpS_laugh:. im just being pedantic danny about the screw invention. i think we've managed to take clout nail gate as far as we need too marra. tbh i dont give a f**K, im sure the lad will repair it however he wants. :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.