hello!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone, first time i have ever been on here so just trying to come to grips with the site! dont really know what to expect, i know not to discuss prices! but i have a few questions in regards to site work and im hoping someone could help me out.
ok so ive been approached by a company that have plenty of work and want me to jump on one of their sites. they also want me to get a few more lads on the job also, which im up for doing but im unsure how i go about it when it comes to payment? if it all goes through me, i pay the tax then pay the lads and get invoices off them, but i wont get much of a wage? can anyone explain if there is a better way of doing it (or the proper way)
basically i havent done this before, im a good plasterer and usually do residential but im wanting to take the next step so to speak and start subcontracting work out but not too sure how to go about it! id be very grateful for any advice you guys can give me.

You'll get money back at end of year as the money for the job has been taxed twice, you've paid tax and so has subbie. Not 100% but was a question I asked my accountant a while back.

hi bud
plenty of guys on here should be able to help you out with that one i tend to stick to private work these days its easier but good luck :RpS_thumbup:

Register yourself as a contractor, when you pay your guys the tax you stop will be offset against the tax you are stopped, so you are not paying tax twice, you will have to do monthly CIS returns for the guys though

hi everyone, first time i have ever been on here so just trying to come to grips with the site! dont really know what to expect, i know not to discuss prices! but i have a few questions in regards to site work and im hoping someone could help me out.
ok so ive been approached by a company that have plenty of work and want me to jump on one of their sites. they also want me to get a few more lads on the job also, which im up for doing but im unsure how i go about it when it comes to payment? if it all goes through me, i pay the tax then pay the lads and get invoices off them, but i wont get much of a wage? can anyone explain if there is a better way of doing it (or the proper way)
basically i havent done this before, im a good plasterer and usually do residential but im wanting to take the next step so to speak and start subcontracting work out but not too sure how to go about it! id be very grateful for any advice you guys can give me.

Welcome along mate just seen your website :RpS_thumbsup:

Thanks for the mention @stuart23 :)

Hello @MEJacksonPlastering (I only went looking at your website to see that pic @Nisus posted! Silly me!)

Anyway, it can be a bit daunting setting up to pay others etc. If you need some advice do feel free to give us a call for a no obligation chat. Our advice is always free.

Good luck with it all!

Last edited by a moderator:
i have never wanted to get involved with contracting out work , reasons ? 1. i dont like plastering that much to get involved , 2. theres not enough decent spreads out there to trust , 3. theres not enough profit in it to worry , 4. Vat , not a clue . 5 . when i get home i want to forget about work .
Im sure theres loads of reasons to go for it also , but couldnt care less about them , that s just me tho :RpS_thumbup:.

i have never wanted to get involved with contracting out work , reasons ? 1. i dont like plastering that much to get involved , 2. theres not enough decent spreads out there to trust , 3. theres not enough profit in it to worry , 4. Vat , not a clue . 5 . when i get home i want to forget about work .
Im sure theres loads of reasons to go for it also , but couldnt care less about them , that s just me tho :RpS_thumbup:.

I agree with 2.
When I'm too busy finding decent guys is impossible.they want to much money for the quality they have.

My advice is that you need to get to really understand site work yourself before trying to employ others to do it, it's a VERY different animal to domestic work.
You'll also need several thousand pounds behind you to cover paying your lads before you get paid yourself. I used to allow 5k in my float per employee/subbie, but I was working for decent prompt payers and you'd need considerably more working for the slow payers.
All that is assuming you don't want to mess honest, hard working fellow spreads about.

My advice is that you need to get to really understand site work yourself before trying to employ others to do it, it's a VERY different animal to domestic work.
You'll also need several thousand pounds behind you to cover paying your lads before you get paid yourself. I used to allow 5k in my float per employee/subbie, but I was working for decent prompt payers and you'd need considerably more working for the slow payers.
All that is assuming you don't want to mess honest, hard working fellow spreads about.
A brilliant attitude which should be but is far from the norm.

thanks for the advice guys! i have worked on site before, just steered clear as prices were crap. im wanting to go down this route as i want to expand and try help others out. but yes, the hardest thing is finding good spreads. even for my domestic jobs, finding a good lad is hard! i have a meeting with a friend who deals with payments etc so going to see what she says and take it from there.
will try keep in touch on here but hard to as always working until this hour!
nisus, love that pic :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.