Hello - new member with a question about rendering around door frames.

Teucht

Hello all, I've had a read through a few threads but couldn't quite find what I was after.

I've got a doorframe that has very uneven brickwork around it. E.g in the bottom left corner the bricks are proud of the frame, in the bottom right the bricks are 25mm below the frame.

To account for this, do I build the door frame out by say 10mm so I can get a coat on the high and low spots of the bricks? Does it matter that then some render will be 8mm thick and some will be 35mm?

If it makes and difference, to match the rest of the porch I'm using sand and cement render, with a stipple coat on the bricks.

Any advice is very welcome, thanks.
IMG_20230203_100740.jpg

Put in new wider frame
Aye I did think about that, but it won't be better than building the frame out - there will still be a big difference in depth of render required, as the current frame is straight and it's the brickwork that's well out of plumb.

you can only follow the face plane of the surrounding wall where you’ve knocked off the render.
Or your wall will twist into the frame

you can only follow the face plane of the surrounding wall where you’ve knocked off the render.
Or your wall will twist into the frame
Could you just explain this a wee bit? I think I will be following the face plane, just to different depths.

Hello all, I've had a read through a few threads but couldn't quite find what I was after.

I've got a doorframe that has very uneven brickwork around it. E.g in the bottom left corner the bricks are proud of the frame, in the bottom right the bricks are 25mm below the frame.

To account for this, do I build the door frame out by say 10mm so I can get a coat on the high and low spots of the bricks? Does it matter that then some render will be 8mm thick and some will be 35mm?

If it makes and difference, to match the rest of the porch I'm using sand and cement render, with a stipple coat on the bricks.

Any advice is very welcome, thanks.
View attachment 73406
You could always make a return detailing into frame