Looking for textured render options - South Wales

puzzlecookie

Hello :) This might be a bit long as I want to give all the info!

I have a semi-detached house in South Wales which currently has very old roughcast sand & cement render that has been made uglier with textured paint. The render covers 3/4 of the house with exposed red brick on the bottom. The brick is also a shambles - cheap looking with patched areas where doors have been removed over the years and lots of efflorescence.

We live on the top of a hill and the side of the house is exposed to the elements. The render is in bad shape in several places and we have a couple of different issues so I've spent the last year attempting to find someone to come and re-render for us.

Most houses in the area have the top 3/4 roughcast render or painted pebble dash with exposed brick on the bottom. A few have pebble dash all the way down (mostly painted). One has one of the newer smooth silicone renders and looks awful! It may just be a poor job, but it seems to show up all the lumps & bumps of the older house, and when it's wet it looks very patchy, like water is lingering in certain areas. Some of the council properties have been newly dashed (I'm guessing with a newer silicone dash like the Johnstone's system) with brick slips on the bottom.

I've contacted lots of companies and had every possible plasterer experience! Plenty who would only do smooth K-Rend, one who said he could only do one horrible brown pebble dash and I couldn't choose any other colour (he was particularly bonkers), one who said I would have to have my toilet unplumbed for a week because he couldn't reposition the pipes (!), suspiciously cheap quotes, eye wateringly expensive... and always with major compromises! I understand it's a big job with hacking off all the old render and I'm not expecting a bargain, but I really want someone who knows their stuff and has a bit of pride in the details.

So, in an ideal world I would like my house to match the rest of the street with the top 3/4 rendered with some sort of texture & bright white in colour, and I'm tempted to go for red brick slips on the bottom. I don't mind if it's dashed on top so long as it can be painted... as plain dash does look a bit old fashioned and the aim is to make it nicer! Or the other option is a silicone-based roughcast. The most promising company I've met so far use the Johnstone's Stormshield system which offer a silicone dash and brick slips, but I would have to arrange to have the dash painted at an additional expense. I know K-Rend do a roughcast silicone-based render - but they don't do the brick slips!

Does anyone have any experience with the Johnstone's Stormshield dash, particularly in South Wales? Is it hard wearing against the rain? Have you ever painted it? Are there any other options I haven't investigated yet? And can anyone recommend any reputable companies who cover this area? Thank you :)

Sounds like a dash receiver which is a coloured render then you dry dash it. Nothing wrong with that. I have done loads of dash receiver the majority being white dash receiver with white marble dry dash. Painting it makes it all one even colour and bland imo.

Roughcast is done by machine and uses monocouche and K Rend make a siliconised monocouche. Another name for roughcast is wet dash but not a lot of that in England, it seems to be in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. It is always painted but the modern machine applied roughcast doesn’t need painting as its already coloured.

There is Ian Jones in Swansea who can do machine roughcast, he runs PFT Wales if you want to contact him.

Agree with Rigsby.
Other I've used older way, is white sand, snowcrete and lime mix as dash receiver then pure white spa dash to it.