Hello I'm John

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprofessor

Hello gents my name is John Knox from warrington. My mates and those in the trade call me the professor. I have been plastering since I left school in the eighties and have been through good times and bad. I was looking for some info and saw this site but when I clicked on the link it said I had exceeded my limit so I had to sign up which is fair enough. Maybe I can help some of the youngsters out.

Hello gents my name is John Knox from warrington. My mates and those in the trade call me the professor. I have been plastering since I left school in the eighties and have been through good times and bad. I was looking for some info and saw this site but when I clicked on the link it said I had exceeded my limit so I had to sign up which is fair enough. Maybe I can help some of the youngsters out.

That would be good....:RpS_thumbup:...welcome along john knox:-0..

any uncles, grandad?...great grandad etc:RpS_sneaky:

Welcome may the banter commence ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1415748921.006479.jpg

Welcome John. Do they call you professor because you go to work in a lab coat and draw on the walls like this??
attachment.php

Haha thanks for the reception. I am from Golbourne just outside of Warrington but I didn't think people would know where that is. The professor is a tongue in cheek thing from the lads. I'm not building myself up to anything. Because whenever there is a job they cannot do they get me to do it - float and set, screeding etc. which says it all really. If you can skim and dab you are called a plasterer these days. I ended up here because I was looking for info on renovating plaster - kingfisher. I have a wall to do with it and the info says you can skim over in 24 hours after it has cured. Is this right? I haven't used it before and don't want to **** it up because it was quite pricey. So just top it the next day? Wet down if needed? The customer has bought this stuff. Their wall is still sodden with a big tide mark across the top of the wall about 7 feet up which I can't work out. It's where the chimney breast is but not the usual patches of salt contamination and there is no cracks in the outside render.

How do john err 'professor'. Lets have it reet golbornes not Warrington its bloody wiggin mon haha, (im only down road in leigh tha knows).

theprofessor;823867. Their wall is still sodden with a big tide mark across the top of the wall about 7 feet up which I can't work out. It's where the chimney breast is but not the usual patches of salt contamination and there is no cracks in the outside render.[/QUOTE said:
i would guess that rain is coming down the chimney stack. i would put a cowell on the chimney pot, and i would not plaster the brickwork until it has dried out.

Haha thanks for the reception. I am from Golbourne just outside of Warrington but I didn't think people would know where that is. The professor is a tongue in cheek thing from the lads. I'm not building myself up to anything. Because whenever there is a job they cannot do they get me to do it - float and set, screeding etc. which says it all really. If you can skim and dab you are called a plasterer these days. I ended up here because I was looking for info on renovating plaster - kingfisher. I have a wall to do with it and the info says you can skim over in 24 hours after it has cured. Is this right? I haven't used it before and don't want to **** it up because it was quite pricey. So just top it the next day? Wet down if needed? The customer has bought this stuff. Their wall is still sodden with a big tide mark across the top of the wall about 7 feet up which I can't work out. It's where the chimney breast is but not the usual patches of salt contamination and there is no cracks in the outside render.
@Arti is your man regard Kingfisher products he helped me out in the past and although he loves to take the piss? He's a top lad and very helpful :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

The renovating plaster is good gear, bang it on, devil float it, leave it a day then fire your finish on, no need to wet it down or use a bonding agent. Are you using and Anti-Sulphate solution to kill off the salts before you float it ?. Sometimes its better to tank Chimney breasts from floor to ceiling when your getting salts at different heights. Like Malc says its probably rain water penetration. cowl the stack and vent the bottom for ventilation. Hope this helps, Welcome to the forum.

Putting sensible answers is sssooooooooooooo boring........................:huh:

But your very good at it @Arti :RpS_thumbup: gonna have to drink to it ??? :RpS_confused: go on then lo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John.qelcome to the place. Definitely known nearer to Wigan than Warrington. I'm in Mosley common. Wigan Salford border

Thanks for the replies and advice lads. A couple of lads from down my way as well. I know it's not warrington lol but my family are based there and to just say Golbourne most people wouldn't have a clue. Thanks for the advice on the damp issue and the renovating gear. I didn't do the work in the end as I wasn't comfortable with the damp on the chimney. It was too wet and needed drying out as you've said. Don't think it was rain coming down the lining though as the chimney had a a cowl on it and the tide mark was from below rising up. It must have been rising damp but I have never seen it that bad or that high. When I explained that I wouldn't guarantee that the damp wouldn't come through the kingfisher they weren't happy so I left it. The fella himself had injected the wall with dri zone and ordered the kingfisher but then wanted me to guarantee the damp would disappear. No chance :RpS_lol: I never even got to use it. Is it just another limelite then or renderlite?

Status
Not open for further replies.