Hello and can you help with an odd plastering problem?

Members online

Painey

Hi, just found this forum and I'm hoping some of you can help with a problem.

We've recently had the house re-plastered and now having gone over with a mist coat of contract emulsion, having applied the 2nd coat of the same paint (only a little water added this time) I'm getting a very noticeable textured surface on areas of the plaster, see the picture. This has been painted with a decent quality roller.

I've never seen this before and should point out that i didn't do the plastering myself, I'm just not sure what it is as every time I sand it down with some 240 paper, when I paint it again it comes back exactly the same. Plaster was dry, clean and smooth before painting.

I hope someone can because I'm going round in circles! Thanks in advance.

IMG_7747.jpg

Think you’ve got a paint problem not a plaster problem there pal if it was all smooth before you touched it. Get yourself over to the decorators forum lol

Thanks for the replies. Paint is Leyland contract emulsion. If I paint it on, I get the pattern. If I sand it down afterwards and paint again, I get the same pattern come back. So unless there's some sort of miracle going on I doubt it's the paint. I could be wrong though but that's what's happening.

We've recently had the house re-plastered and now having gone over with a mist coat of contract emulsion, having applied the 2nd coat of the same paint (only a little water added this time) I'm getting a very noticeable textured surface on areas of the plaster, see the picture. This has been painted with a decent quality roller.

I've never seen this before and should point out that i didn't do the plastering myself, I'm just not sure what it is as every time I sand it down with some 240 paper, when I paint it again it comes back exactly the same. Plaster was dry, clean and smooth before painting.

IMG_7747.jpg
looks like remnants of blown vinyl to me don't get it

Don't know resolution but that's the paint not the plaster, couldn't finish plaster like that if you tried, does it feel like it's bubbling off the plaster...looks like the paint dried in areas

Looks like a shite artex pattern thats been scraped right back. I wouldn't get your plasterer involved not his fault.

Did @Ritch do the plasterering? He uses a broom to finish
Lol my 19 year old apprentice has got more skill than u u jumped up skim monkey all u do is come on here telling people how good u r but u struggle to trowel up multi finish your a joke asuwere u caaaant

Lol my 19 year old apprentice has got more skill than u u jumped up skim monkey all u do is come on here telling people how good u r but u struggle to trowel up multi finish your a joke asuwere u caaaant

Morning babes xx

I would genuinely do what Stuart said and ask in decorators forum.... hey maybe @Stevieo knows!

Listen. Let's get something straight. When I take the piss out of you, for example when I say you got sacked from your job labouring for a homo - that is funny.

When you take the piss out of me - for example, saying I am a painter. That is not funny.

Got it?

Thanks for the replies everyone. The wall was smooth before, painted on but pretty smooth. The paint is/was brand new so no problem there. All stirred thoroughly. If it is the paint, as some have said, why am I getting the same pattern/problem come back when I repaint it? I've got the issue in a few other areas too. None of which have been painted with a brush. Most of the rest of the house is fine, which just makes these problem areas stick out all the more.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The wall was smooth before, painted on but pretty smooth. The paint is/was brand new so no problem there. All stirred thoroughly. If it is the paint, as some have said, why am I getting the same pattern/problem come back when I repaint it? I've got the issue in a few other areas too. None of which have been painted with a brush. Most of the rest of the house is fine, which just makes these problem areas stick out all the more.
You want grit 100 to lightly rub it out
Water down your coat more and use medium pile roller to sort it out
Take care to only rub back the coats you have applied there though don’t rub to hard

IMG_7747.jpg
Did you leave the plaster to dry properly?

Listen. Let's get something straight. When I take the piss out of you, for example when I say you got sacked from your job labouring for a homo - that is funny.

When you take the piss out of me - for example, saying I am a painter. That is not funny.

Got it?
....... no that ones flown straight over.

And we’re all still waiting to hear what’s up with the paint :coffe:

Whilst I welcome the theories of dust and not rolling out the paint sufficiently etc, are they not countered by the fact that away from these troublesome areas it's perfect? Furthermore when I sand it back and repaint, it comes back.

For the life of me I can't see how it can be the paint. Unless by some miracle I'm able to paint a texture onto a smooth surface, remove it and then paint exactly the same one again in the same place - with a brand new roller. Using paint I've spent about 5 minutes stirring. The things on the wall that look like brush marks, these are evident in several other places, all when painted over with a roller.

Whilst I welcome the theories of dust and not rolling out the paint sufficiently etc, are they not countered by the fact that away from these troublesome areas it's perfect? Furthermore when I sand it back and repaint, it comes back.

For the life of me I can't see how it can be the paint. Unless by some miracle I'm able to paint a texture onto a smooth surface, remove it and then paint exactly the same one again in the same place - with a brand new roller. Using paint I've spent about 5 minutes stirring. The things on the wall that look like brush marks, these are evident in several other places, all when painted over with a roller.

How long between coats and have you wiped wall with a damp rag to remove dust?