has anyone used goldtrowel in essex?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Goldtrowel course on Venetian marble is brilliant, Andy fires so much information at you that its not worth doing the 3 day course. I think 5 days isnt enough BUT I was very confident after it and have a few projects lined up. Andy says he is always just a phone call away so its comforting to know you have a skilled aplicator to back you up

No offence taken I appreciate all input given. I am kinda swaying to sticking with the service but going part time which would still give me just over a £1000 a month then do something else on the side till I find my feet, are the trades really that hard out there st the moment??

Question for everyone!!! If you could all restart careers again what would you do??
Hi Harry, to answer your question I would not change a thing. The plastering trade has given me a lot of money, friends, lifestyle etc. I enjoy what I do and thats why I am on here, cant stand blokes who slag it off but continue to come on the site. Why?

The only trouble with courses u r only learning in a room with the same temperatures and conditions and no pressure and at the end of it the teacher isn't going to say that u shouldn't bother in the plastering trade I still have problems now sometimes but I get around them they don't teach that

Appreciate the feed back guys, I've wanted to do it for years and something has always been in the way normally finances.

I take on board there's only so much they can set up in a training environment for people to learn from, what appeals from gold trowel is they do seem to be the best course Providers about that's close enough! Ableskills is another one but I haven't heard much good about them!

Hopefully in a few weeks ill be doing a bit of labouring with a mate at work who was in the spreading game for about 12 years who still does a fair bit of work on the side.

Should hopefully give me a bit of an incite into different conditions

Harry, Learning from your mate is a good idea. However, there is only so much you can learn from labouring, you should ask him to let you have a go on the smaller walls and steadily progress onto larger walls. After a few weeks you'll be able to determine whether you have the aptitude to become a good spread. From this point you should consider an NVQ2 qualification as you'll be able to obtain a CSCS card which will allow you to do site work :RpS_biggrin:

Cheers minh, good advice! I have done some work I my old house a couple of ceilings and a few walls I've got to admit first wall was ok for lining paper ;) but I did get the hang of it and enjoyed it. Nothing was pro standard but still good enough for paint.

Hopefully I can get the c&g done and continue with the labouring doing as you said small walls etc till I gain some confidence/experience.

Cheers minh, good advice! I have done some work I my old house a couple of ceilings and a few walls I've got to admit first wall was ok for lining paper ;) but I did get the hang of it and enjoyed it. Nothing was pro standard but still good enough for paint.

Hopefully I can get the c&g done and continue with the labouring doing as you said small walls etc till I gain some confidence/experience.

Harry, You should never use lining paper over skim because it defeats the point of skimming: the surface should be ready to paint or require minor filling after the mist coat. If the wall you did is not up to scratch, either scrape if off before it fully adheres or skim over it again :RpS_biggrin:

I was young and stupid with no experience I remember mixing another bucket mid laying on the first coat by the time id got it all om the wall had sucked most of the moisture out the first bit and it was un workable. Hence the lining paper to cover it up.. still all came good ish in the end.

I was young and stupid with no experience I remember mixing another bucket mid laying on the first coat by the time id got it all om the wall had sucked most of the moisture out the first bit and it was un workable. Hence the lining paper to cover it up.. still all came good ish in the end.

Fair enough :)

When you train with your mate, you should work hard and aim to become a really good spread because as your experience and reputation become established, you will be able command a premium for your work. If you only have the mentality to become an average spread, it will be difficult to get the really rewarding jobs: the ones where you can sit back, look upon your work and feel real satisfaction and pride :RpS_biggrin:

Don't get me wrong I do take a lot of pride in my work and I fully understand what your saying I only lined the walls as the rest of the room was having paper and this wall was having a fully fitted cabin style bed so it was pretty covered.

As you say id def aim for best possible quality as its my name pulling the work in I hope. Cheers for all the support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.