Hardwall or S&C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

iv got a job to do in an old house they have had new sash windows fited,witch has beaten up the walls abit, but it seems like all the old plaster is hanging of the wall any way as they do in theys old houses all blown ect.

any ways the walls are reali reali thick but its an out side wall and was wondering if hardwall will be OK on an out side wall?
last thing i want is damp walls!

i thick it would take at least 3 coats of S&C

ta..................

hardwall is only gypsum based i do believe... so will surely go to mush after being exposed to the moisture/rain ???

If it were me and exterior wall I would do in S/C , hardwall/bonding when dry will act like a giant sponge sucking any moisture up

thanks guys.. iv only got to days to do the job so i might hace to hardwall this one..no one wants to pay 3 days for me 2 S&C 2 -3coats and then skim the next day.so i gave them the 2 day price

mrspoon said:
hardwall is only gypsum based i do believe... so will surely go to mush after being exposed to the moisture/rain ???

sorry mate its and inside wall but the other side is an outside wall..

are these replacement sash windows oasis?
i.e. old wooden 'box sash' windows removed and replaced with upvc or timber..
and have the corners been yanked out when they ripped out the old box sashes (they had 'horns' on em..)
and I'd expect it to be at least a 9"solid wall... i.e. no cavity?
if so mate, and bear in mind i used to fit these things.... use s+c or dri coat or similar CEMENT based backer.. dont use gypsum based cos as previously mentioned it;ll cause you problems.. especially knowing how slapdash the window fitters are today.. not to mention the fact that your hardwall will be in contact with the outside skin via either rubble or headers or snotters or whatever..
cavity wall youll be fine..

Dri-coat .. never used it but i guess im best of useing this.. is it the same as useing bonding/hardwall ect and what is thie price difrence?
thanks

oasis said:
Dri-coat .. never used it but i guess im best of useing this.. is it the same as useing bonding/hardwall ect and what is thie price difrence?
thanks
Dri wall about £12 a bag mate , but if it's thick why not put a scratch coat of s/c with waterproofer and then dot n dab on top

i allways fort that the boards still get wet that way? thanks any how.. but outa intrest how do i apply the Dri-coat?

oasis said:
mrspoon said:

sorry mate its and inside wall but the other side is an outside wall..

ooooh haha gotcha! could rain indoors tho, damn those indoor rain clouds :-*

oasis said:
i allways fort that the boards still get wet that way? thanks any how.. but outa intrest how do i apply the Dri-coat?
Not if you scratch coat the wall in sand n cement first , it acts like a membrane.
Dri coat, apply same has any other light weight backing coat. Your supposed to leave for 24h before skimmin, but i've skimmed same day no probs

warriorupnorth said:
oasis said:
Not if you scratch coat the wall in sand n cement first , it acts like a membrane.
Dri coat, apply same has any other light weight backing coat. Your supposed to leave for 24h before skimmin, but i've skimmed same day no probs

would you use waterproofer in the scratch still then ???

mrspoon said:
warriorupnorth said:
oasis said:

would you use waterproofer in the scratch still then ???
Yes matey

Lot of opinions and advice here Oasis but you havent said what the wall is other than thick and old if it is as i suspect built in lime morter and the render and finish is lime then that is what should go back that is the correct way other suggested methods will work but not as long as the original has or is it me that is thick and old lol
Lucius.

lucius said:
Lot of opinions and advice here Oasis but you havent said what the wall is other than thick and old if it is as i suspect built in lime morter and the render and finish is lime then that is what should go back that is the correct way other suggested methods will work but not as long as the original has or is it me that is thick and old lol
Lucius.
Who knows with Oasis his descriptions, they are always vague and his spelling his crap, so we just try and point him in the right direction without confusing the poor sole , Oasis no disrespect intended

lol sorry i type before i think.. my next post will just say "ya no wot i meen that wet stuff any good?"

im not very good at spelling i fcukd about at skool i left with 2 AA's one for I.T and one Art every thing else i got a U as all i did was fcuk around and draw on the exam papers!

i sure can skima wall!lol

This site is fantastic for people like me who need a lot of questions answering!

its like the time served plastering buddy i never had ;-)

Its all to do with the was the building wants to breathe etc but the problem is that 99% of lime buildings have been painted with modern paints that seal the building so it cant breathe anyway !!

Rich

Yeah Rich often or not the outside has been interefered with by some kind of impearmable material its all about diagnosis of the problem and finding a reasnoble solution as in Oasis case why is the plaster coming of the wall maybe the pointing has failed around the outside of the widow, it could be a multitue of things or it is just that old it has gone past its sell by date.
Lucius.

oasis said:
all we need isa point :)

yeah yeah yeah footballs boring and predicable and the players are over paid mercenaries who dont care for the clubs the sport is worse of for people like ronaldo.

oasis you prob did the job last week by now but ontop of what warrior said give the wall 2 coats of sbr slurry to stop salts moisture coming through ........and football is for girly girls who dont know how to fight :)......come on city ;D

sbr? never usd it? it that the 5litre tub that says SBR! DO I JUST APPLY IT TO THE BRICKS LIKE PVA?

Status
Not open for further replies.