hardiback boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

are hardiback boards straight forward to skim over,just unibond,tape and skim as normal any advice thanks

you can skim backer board , use 2 coats of PVA, question is.. as hardi is designed for tiling over. why would it want skimming mate ? if your using Knauf aquapanel, you have to use their own recommended finish ( not mp )

its tiled where the shower is and skimmed where the toilet and basin is the client bought to many backer boards so we are using them up rather than plasterboards more expensive but that's what he wants thanks

its tiled where the shower is and skimmed where the toilet and basin is the client bought to many backer boards so we are using them up rather than plasterboards more expensive but that's what he wants thanks

no probs mate, just pva them,, give them decent coats of pva, I would tape and fill the joints as opposed to just using normal scrim...

I was told to skim h/b but advised against it but customer wanted it skimmed. Unibonded fcuk out of it and it still pulled in like fcuk

it does mate, bit strange when the backer board is water resistant..lol.. always done my head in that, thats why i said give it 2 good pva coats, turned out good tho hey...

it does mate, bit strange when the backer board is water resistant..lol.. always done my head in that, thats why i said give it 2 good pva coats, turned out good tho hey...

It was white dry in an hour! Lol! Yeah its puzzled me too that one. Thought it would be wet as fcuk for hours!

Thing is, you dont seal them when tiling, and it doesnt pull tile adhesive in... twilight zone..lol

Did some heat proof plaster over hardi boards recently only chimney breast sucked like a bitch wi two good coats of pva!! Never thought about them being water resistant!!

I remember plastering a cupboard someone had built using left over hardi boards, unknown to me, i thought it was just normal plasterboard. It wasn't much fun

could plasterboards be used if well tanked in a wet room instead of hardiboards as the studding is all shapes as the hardiboards wont sit on the walls as they are not flexible any advice

could plasterboards be used if well tanked in a wet room instead of hardiboards as the studding is all shapes as the hardiboards wont sit on the walls as they are not flexible any advice
If the plasterboard is protected from ingress then yes you can use it,

Hardie backer boards are water resistant yes.Water can not penetrate through them. They are constructed with about 80% to 90% cement, Bit of sand, Some fibers and a bit of other aggregate with no paper face added. If the paper comes off a section of gypsum plasterboard that you skim over it sets pretty instantly and crazes. With this in mind with hardie backer you are skimming over pretty much kiln dried cement. 2 coats of PVA will not kill the suction of the amount of portland cement in these boards. Its like roughing a job out then skimming over a month later. I personally would advise my customers for me not to skim over it. But if it has to be done i would say PVA is a waste of time and use one of the products available that will, 1 take the suction out. And 2 make sure the plaster wont fail on hardie backer like blue grit. micro, bond it etc

Bear in mind that multi/board finish shouldn't really be used in areas prone to high humidity anyway.
Dura finish and uni finish can though, i would definitely blue grit if your skimming these.

moisture resistant boards ( green ) cant be skimmed unles bond it etc is used, not designed to be skimmed anyway..

Bear in mind that multi/board finish shouldn't really be used in areas prone to high humidity anyway.
Dura finish and uni finish can though, i would definitely blue grit if your skimming these.

I wrote enough and forgot that bit :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.