GRP Stock mould

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, looking for a spot of advice on sealing plaster model prior to fiber glassing (stock reverse mould)
is there a product that can be applied while model is damp (ie shellac) or does it need to be bone dry ??(hard to achieve in my cold damp workshop this time of year)
Had a grp guy make a couple for me with shellaced models. first one fine but recent one cocked up due to moisture.
Trying to build up stock from scratch and subbing out the glassing is getting expensive!

any tips would be great, cheers in advance!

Let the model.model . dry complete or to the beat of your abiltiy.
Then shellac 3 times
Then wax and polish. Depending on the wax dictated the amount of times e needed. The more the merrier really. I do 5-6 thin wax n polish layers

Hey guys, looking for a spot of advice on sealing plaster model prior to fiber glassing (stock reverse mould)
is there a product that can be applied while model is damp (ie shellac) or does it need to be bone dry ??(hard to achieve in my cold damp workshop this time of year)
Had a grp guy make a couple for me with shellaced models. first one fine but recent one cocked up due to moisture.
Trying to build up stock from scratch and subbing out the glassing is getting expensive!

any tips would be great, cheers in advance!

We have used a product called international paint , bought from a ships suppliers , (they use it to seal boats ) and found a better sheen to the mould than shellac, but a dry model is preferable,

Irish Fine Art Plasterwork

cheers @mikeadams1985, looks like i need to be a bit more patient with my drying times then.
I guess bulking out on the bench with plasterboard first might help? keep the the run plaster a bit thiner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Used International paints on fibreglass. Works well. Never used it to seal a model though.
Wouldn't use blue pva Ryan.
For the vote use a sand and plaster mix.

Not had much joy with shellac so have been using G4 instead. 3-5 thin coats on a damp model, 5 x wax, and a coat of blue for luck and it jumps out. No need to wait for model to dry either.

Status
Not open for further replies.