Gold Trowel 6 week City & Guilds Qualification including a Krend (Rendering) Certific

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
deluded. my apoligies for the spelling mistake. and as ur now going to ask me why, going back to a previous comment u made, you think that an apprentiship is 4-5 yrs of making tea and wiping arses, and you wont fully be a plasterer, yet after a 6 week course with no previous experience you feel confident in plastering a house. you are a proper wally

My point (me maybe taking it out of context) was that for people like me (adult learners) apprenticeships just wouldnt work! Companies dont seem to give apprenticeships to people over 19 and even if they did I doubt any sane person would work for 100 a week or whatever it is for the duration. Don't get me wrong... Apprenticeships are a good way for a 'type' of person. But I feel alot of people can learn anything quickly if you have desire and motivation.

A course is a safe bet for adult learners. I felt I have done more than I could imagine on a course. The guys who run the courses (Andy, Les, Doug) all know the game and are passionate about it. That is important when learning anything!

Huh? Someone who pays 2 and a half grand and taking 6 weeks out of there life to persue a different career have not made a commitment??? Everyone I have met on the C&G course are highly motivated and have taken well to the job. Some are just young lads but many are 30 plus with commitments like wives and kids, and those commitments will be relying on what they learn on the course so believe me, everyone wants to be the best they can.

I've no doubt that there is money to be made out of courses, but GT make sure you get your value for money. Even though I have spent a fortune there I never come away feeling ripped off. Me and 5 other lads used a whole large stacked pallet of Krend today. How many trainees on site get let lose with that much material and have a spread on hand guiding you through the whole process?

By all means slag off other training centres, but don't tar goldtrowel with the same brush. It sets the standard for courses. Its in no way easy. The fact that Flyny who has been a spread for 20 or more years is reccomending it should speak volumes.

I've seen the goldtrowel training videos. I've read and heard the claim you can earn £100,000

It's all about the money. End of

I have to say that a course is not going to give you the required skills to be a plasterer, like any course its just an introduction into it. You are just not realisitically going to walk out of it as a Plasterer, to be a Plasterer means you can cover everything: Float & Set, Rendering ,Machine Plastering, Lime Plastering, Wet / Dry Dash, Dry Lining, Floor Screeding, Fibrous and anything else remotely connected to the trade.

Then there is problem solving on the job, you will come across loads of them in a real life work situation that hasn't been covered in a course, what are you gonna do.

If you want to learn the game properly, you have to go with a spread and get on the shovel and learn your mixes and how to tidy up first and take it from there, also at least you'll be getting paid rather than selling out a lot of cash

Sure thing Andy. I can't PM you because you havn't done enough posts on here yet. Get my number off Andy if all else fails.

Its been a good crack mate.

Andy

........way too many Andys out there!

I agree mate!

Seems to me that all the Andy's turn out to be good plasterers ;-)

Sure thing...ill get ur no. off Andy! Good luck fella!

I am now going to lock this topic as everybody has made their points and its a balanced argument.

In essence You gotta do what you gotta do :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.