Getting Paid

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi46

Private Member
Is it just me or are the public getting increasingly harder to get money out of?! More and more I've got to the point were I feel like I'm begging for my money. Had one the other day that said "Can I pay you when I'm back?" from where I say " I'm away at work for 2 weeks, then I'm going to Ireland for a week" haha No!! I'll have my money now thanks!!! I'm finding a lot of people are paying direct credit instead of cash or cheque and unless you stand over them on the internet they're free to take ages to pay! Regardless of them telling you they'll pay straight away :wtf:

I floated a kitchen out a week or so ago, and when i was finishing up the guy came through and said if you email me your invoice and bank details ill pay you in two lots !!! So i said WTF are you on about just send it in one go haha. Basically he sent me £10.00 then wanted me to confirm id got that payment then he sent the remainder. All got paid that evening with no probs, just really fuck1ng odd.

Prefer customers to pay direct to my account, getting to the bank costs money and cheques usually take longer to clear than it does for the customer to remember to make the Internet payment.

Yup always, why i try to stay clear of bank transfers unless regular clients...Had some literally take ages once left, not answering, or making out they've paid it and the banks taking ages to clear it, all delay tactics...

Think he was paranoid sending the whole amount mate, once he knew the tenner had sent he sent the rest to the same details.
Not a bad idea really. I've heard of money being sent to the wrong account by mistake (1 wrong digit) and the recipient keeping it. The banks are not obliged to tell you who you've wrongly given the money to cos of the privacy of said recipient.

If you send an instant transfer to the wrong account your f**k*d as the bank can't claim it back

I floated a kitchen out a week or so ago, and when i was finishing up the guy came through and said if you email me your invoice and bank details ill pay you in two lots !!! So i said WTF are you on about just send it in one go haha. Basically he sent me £10.00 then wanted me to confirm id got that payment then he sent the remainder. All got paid that evening with no probs, just really fuck1ng odd.

I've had that john where the woman sent me a pound then the rest

I had a friend do this when he owed me money... use to do a £1 test transfer.... he then want confirmation it arrived then he would send the rest... it was because he was skint and did not have teh balls to tell me....

Being self employed don't expect payment on time.
Build up enough funds to get a month in front to cover materials and other costs.standing there hand out for payment is a desperate show.

I know it doesn't always come on time and don't expect it but it seems to be taking longer and longer. It's not that I'm getting in trouble and running low on funds at all it's the principle of making me wait and wait. It's on your mind then because everyone can potentially not pay if they really wanted too.

It's also not a case of standing there with my hand out. I go away from the job either sending an invoice in the post/e-mail or agreeing a time to be paid. When the invoice has been sent and it's a long time before I hear anything it gets right on my tits. Also when they say they'll pay me the same evening of finishing the job and then it goes days with nothing and then your having to chase them in a begging kind of way and that's wrong.

Last edited:
No one should be afraid to ask for there money ... hows it desperate ??

@Rossi46 get your terms and conditions changed ... im paid when ive finished a job ... either cash, bank transfer or cheque .. the only waiting I do is for a bank transfer, if the customer says they'll do it that night and they don't then ring them in the morning ... your not mithering if a customer hasn't done what they said its them causing there own hassle and I couldn't care if it does piss them off me chasing ... you soon see customers for who they are when ££ are involved.

Im paid when im done ... if I have to wait or spend time chasing then either the price for the next job goes up to compensate me for time chasing or I just don't work for that customer ... hard enough game without wondering when your getting paid

I make my customers aware when the completion date is and that i expect to be paid in full on that day or day after. Lets face it we all have overheads homes to run kids etc so i dont see it as desperate as @bobby says i see it more like in Goodfellas "f**k you pay me" type of attitude lol :cachetada:

All my paper work says payment is due on completion unless otherwise agreed.
Don't always work though
But does most of the time thankfully

Being self employed don't expect payment on time.
Build up enough funds to get a month in front to cover materials and other costs.standing there hand out for payment is a desperate show.

Good job I'm not self employed then, I run a business.

Seriously, no wonder people get into problems with that attitude. If you're operating as a business, run it properly. A basic contract which includes a description of work, the amount due and the payment terms. It takes afew minutes on the computer to put on the customer's details and print it off.

One reminder, one final demand, one visit to Money Claim Online.

Exactly @imago.... my t &c's are clear on my quotes... when payments due ... cancellation fees for not giving 48 hr notice etc etc etc ...

Never had any issues really getting money - hate fookin cheques though haha - job im on today the customer said im not here tomorrow so leave your bank details and i'll bacs you when im home :D .... my sort of customers

Good job I'm not self employed then, I run a business.

Seriously, no wonder people get into problems with that attitude. If you're operating as a business, run it properly. A basic contract which includes a description of work, the amount due and the payment terms. It takes afew minutes on the computer to put on the customer's details and print it off.

One reminder, one final demand, one visit to Money Claim Online.
I run a Ltd company although technically I'm still self employed.
I have terms also and I imagine most people do.
It depends what payment on completion action means?
Is it 10 minutes,1 week or a month after?how many customers bacs the day of completion?
With a private customer I would expect 14 days,with a builder/developer upto 30.
Everybody runs things different.this subject pops up every few months with the same answers.

I run a Ltd company although technically I'm still self employed.
I have terms also and I imagine most people do.
It depends what payment on completion action means?
Is it 10 minutes,1 week or a month after?how many customers bacs the day of completion?
With a private customer I would expect 14 days,with a builder/developer upto 30.
Everybody runs things different.this subject pops up every few months with the same answers.

I wouldn't invest in you .so I'm out, private customers should be immediate max 2/3 days,builders a week max 2 .why wait,free credit ,for what reason, you need to reign in that policy..

Status
Not open for further replies.