Garden Wall .

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebab king

Private Member
Hi Chaps .

Been to look at a garden wall today , typicall problem being painted , no course to stop the damp tramping up and the paint has bubbled off .Apart from a small aera , which can be repaired , the rest of the wall is in reasonable condition , so a scrapre would probably be ok .Just wondering if anyone knows of a paint that can be put on . If not what is the cure .

Cheers .

Re: Garben Wall .

i dont sppose there is one mate to be honest..
what youve got is a wall without a damp course that is full of water.. painting it only traps the moisture in the wall and when it gets completely saturated it forces its way out through the paint causing it to bubble so any coating you put on will go the same way..
if youre gonna attempt to cure it youre looking at either 1) knock it down and rebuild it with a dpc (probably quicker and definately more effective)..
2) get rid of any coatings so it can dry and install some sort of dpc either by injection, raking out a section at a time and slipping some slate or dpm in, knocking out 4 bricks at a time and installing engineerings (might as well go the dpc route)...
depends how big the wall is, what its made of, how old it is etc..
and how attached the customer is to it..
and if its a soil retaining wall... gonna need a below ground membrane etc..
or you could mechy fix a membrane over the top so any water drains down behind it and render it or cover it in flexcement to look like bricks or stone again?

as chris w says,your best method would be to use membrane.then render.but costly in time and materials for a garden wall as long as drain holes are left in bottom course to drain of water no problems.just cost of materials and labour for a garden wall may be excessive to some.

good advise form above..but if they are addamant about painting it,using a stabilising primer then bang 2 coats of trueguard on it.although it wont last long!!!!! it real wont,but long enough for you to get paid.
Just be honest and tell em to knock it down and rebuild it.
or put up a cheap fence to hide the dodgy wall????

Cheers for the advise boys , thought as much .Told customer it was because they was no damp course , but they you mad telling them they need a damp course in a garden wall .

so a dcp just is that black roll that sits on ground level stoping the water from the round coming up into the wall?

jj or u could use heidi system for negative tanking by sovereign..knock back to brick render with sbr then paint on 2 coats of heidi then render , leave to go off green then re skim...royal pain in the aris.......but knowing you lol ring up leyland they do a moisture retendant paint...bit of a botch...but as i say i know you......lol owww that hurt i bet
all jokes aside nobby give us a bell, ill talk you through the tanking process if theres money in it to do it....knowing ytou there will be lol ooowww, by the way the tyrolene spray was an 8mm nozzle for the right look, cheers for ya help on that mate, i didnt get involved in it but builder did, he says if your ever up here hell buy u a couple of beers..nice one..theres also a german bagged render that can be laid straight onto brickwork to stop all moisture , its got anti salting agents already in it, and can be applied below dpc,could use that to patch if damp areas are isolated...its used as a tanker product, using it on a chimney breast next week apparently the stuffs fantastic, u could lay that on then skim job done...ring me ill tell you whats it like

A DPC membrane should not be used in a garden wall it puts a plane of weakness in it making it potentialy dangerous damp proof course should be formed with engineering bricks or liquid waterproofer in the morter in the first few courses.
Lucius.

Status
Not open for further replies.