Garden Wall Render Staining / Coping Leaking

Members online

stevewc84

Hope it's ok to post here. Looking for some advice. We have recently got our garden done, it's been a bit of a long haul starting in July 2020 and finishing in December 2020.

Anyway - due to a few errors that needed repaired, I need to get the renderer back. I think maybe what the current plan is for him to render the bits that currently need rendered and then maybe paint the render with KRend Colour enhance. (the reason for this is the render got stained as the groundwork guys came in after the renderer)

I have a problem however with the wall being very stained when its wet, water dripping down the copes and the wall just looks a bit of a mess. Photos attached. I want to fix that problem as best as it can be fixed. The coping stones have had a drip cut into them with a grinder and the coping stones are added on a mortar bed. It's also worth noting that the coping stones are vitrified porcelain. How do I stop my wall looking like crap when it's wet and protect it from all the staining?

Someone suggested putting a bit of clear silicone underneath the coping joints to stop water dripping through. I've also seen you get a KRend sealer / KRend Pro.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really want to get this sorted.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (16).jpg
    Image from iOS (16).jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 2,243
  • Image from iOS (18).jpg
    Image from iOS (18).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,316
  • Image from iOS (19).jpg
    Image from iOS (19).jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 781
The render wants cleaning then sealing with a Paraguard etc,
That way any dirt will be sat on the sealer rather than the render, easier to clean.
Always the way with retaining walls Iike that, particularly under trees etc.

No drip on coping
Change them or take them off & do manual rebate

OR battery angle grinder diamomd blade steady hand cut a rebate into coping it won’t go all way into corner tho
Clean render with something like viro sol citrus cleaner
then use manufacturer sealer

your welcome

@stevewc84 some of that grinded drip groove looks poor. i.e. a failed effort not neat, clean nor diligently done.
Where your markings/staining is worst on the wall does that also correlate to a poor drip groove on the coping stone directly above it?
I bet there is not a groove in the mortar joints but any groove was cut in the slabs only before laying? If so water will track back at the mortar joints?
Plus is your ground level worth reducing in height behind top wall section to an inch or so below the coping?

The drip was cut after the copes were fitted. One person took a grinder to them but it wasn’t cut deep enough so someone else went over it again with the grinder.

it seems to be at its worst at the mortar joints but it does also drip down or seem to in the middle of the copes.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will take a look in the morning re the poor cutting of the drip and see if that relates to where the staining is at its worst. Will definitely look at the sealing / k rend pro protection sealer

Plants are still to be added!

Get some climbers and lots and lots of trellis maybe some plaques on the wall to look like a cheap council house replica of that time u went to Greece with the Mrs and she said we should do something like this! Stupid splitarse wind ya neck in