fragile ewi render

Status
Not open for further replies.

crol

hiya,

first post so be gentle please!

looking at my new (we just moved in) next door neighbors ewi render (which faces onto our side passage) i noticed (see attached pictures) two gouges in it which reveal the reinforcing mesh.
ewi gouge1.jpg ewi gouge2.jpg

the gouge in the black render is from the plinth and is about 4cm long. the gouge in the cream render is about 1cm wide.

the render around the gouges on top of mesh is at most 5mm deep and is very fragile. a 1cm piece came off when my wife touched it while pointing out the problem to our neighbors.

it feels like the whole render is extremely fragile and could be pulled off by a child. it certainly does not appear suitable for a frequently used passageway.

also, i would have thought that the mesh (which is visible through the holes) would be securely attached to the insulation but it seems to be loose.

i'm planning on getting ewi myself and am concerned that i might end up with the same problem!

so, what should/can i do to ensure i end up with a much more robust ewi buildup (i'm based in ireland if that makes any difference)?

and what went wrong here, why is the ewi so fragile and the mesh loose?

thanks for your advise and help,

crol

Its all about the way it is installed pal. If you cut corners with Ewi then it can go badly wrong.
Unfortunately the rates are so low now that too many smash and grab companies all emerged for his green deal work in the recession.

Choose a company who can show you jobs from 10 years ago then you can see how it will last. Also if they can't show you or they haven't been around that long then give them a wide birth.
The standards have fallen badly in recent years.

That mesh should have adhesive mortar behind it - you should not be able to see the insulation board through the mesh holes it should also have mortar on top of it followed by the coloured finish coat. It looks bad that to me.

thanks for the advise. i will ask any potential installers for long term customer references.

at the moment we are talking to a parex lanko installer who was recommended by our builder and architect.

> i'm planning on getting ewi myself and am concerned that i might end up with the same problem!

i have 2 young boys and another on the way so can imagine all sorts being belted off the walls (and windows!).

which render options would provide the best impact resistance do you think?

also, i was thinking of asking the installer to use reinforced + standard mesh on all walls (its a bungalow). is the reinforced mesh expensive and would this add a lot of expense to the installer?

finally, we need to replicate the current brickwork to the front of our bungalow and brick slips are coming in very expensive, are the other brick effect options any good?

thanks again,

crol

Side entry and low level areas where human traffic is expected should always be specified for panzer high impact mesh plus a normal mesh but developers/associations/Contractors never want to pay the extra coat. It will add a few Pounds per m to the job.

Dont let the funded installers put you off. There are good firms been fitting for decades who still install to the standards set out from the start before any corners were cut.....like ourselves....Ewi is only new to the bandwagon funded greed deal money men paying sub standard rates to unskilled or skilled men, bit still cheap m rates money cheap job.

Where you based there will be someone on here who could help you out

Status
Not open for further replies.