forming a lintel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

hi lads,went to look at a job where the house had been white spar dashed and the spreads had created nice looking lintels above the windows. the problem being on few of them the top coat has blown and come off. the customer said when they did it they used plastic beads on the scratch coat to give it the square lintel look. what kind of beads would you suggest i'd use to form a authentic looking lintel? why would the top coat completly blow and fall off?

A lintel is a lintel firstly, you mean the rendered over the lintels and the render is blown, depends on the lintel, metal or concrete, any primer, scratch coat strength, time to cure etc, I can't see plastic beads been the reason

It could have just been a 12mm stop bead used to form the shape, that way they can render them after the dash and there is less washing involved. As john said there could be a number of reasons why they have blown.

hi,yeah sorry they'd rendered on top of the lintel to create another. the ones that are still sound look the buisness. the scratch coats on the blown ones are still solid. they had dabbed plastic stop beads on top of the scratch coat to form the square. whats the smallest sizes for external plastic stop beads available from most merchants? cheers

hey,Artisan your right. i'm gonna do that instead. thought with square edge on the plastic stop beads it would just look crap. realised they hadn't used the normal stop bead. they've used some form of plastic beading to make it look and to get it as square and as authentic as possible. don't know what kind though?

Status
Not open for further replies.