Float and skim pricing opinions

Members online

sand and cement floating went out with the ark! i cannot remember the last time i floated a wall in sand and cement.
methods of plastering always did differ area to area. with hardwall you have the correct mix and it is lightweight for the building.

sand and cement floating went out with the ark! i cannot remember the last time i floated a wall in sand and cement.
methods of plastering always did differ area to area. with hardwall you have the correct mix and it is lightweight for the building.
It might not be the correct mix for background or over a mixed background which is common in older buildings. In all my years on site I think I only went on a about four jobs that were floated everything else was dabbed, they were either schools, hospitals and prisons oh and a cinema.

You also have different backgrounds which can determine your mix ratios with sand and cement, the same can't be said for bagged products if they are all identical. Don't think they recognise PVA either

i was thinking about new builds not patch ups.
pva for bonding not for hardwall

It might not be the correct mix for background or over a mixed background which is common in older buildings. In all my years on site I think I only went on a about four jobs that were floated everything else was dabbed, they were either schools, hospitals and prisons oh and a cinema.

when ever i have plastered in prisons they have used bomb proof plaster, which i cannot remember the name of. a type of keenes cement plaster

british gypsum does not recognize sand and cement as a backing plaster.
Always astounds me when people say BG don't stand over this or they don't recognise the other as if they are some god like organisation.
They don't or won't recognise anything that they don't produce. i.e. Make them money

Right malc, here's your chance, sell hardwall to the masses of Ireland.
What should IrishGypsum be saying and to whom?
I'll tell you one thing, they shouldn't be going around telling people lies that they will get a job done cheaper!!

I cant remember ever getting less than £7 a metre for s&c...the most was £10.
The most ive got for hardwall is £8.50
The least ive done is £5....but only for 3 days !! (Never again).

As a subby I suppose id expect a little more for s&c as wouldnt want to labour on my own with it on a larger project...but I could labour on my own with hardwall.

There is more labouring involved with s&c....getting mixes in next to walls/washing all skimmed angles/

Then again so is hardwall ..loading bags/continous running water (not flooding).

I guess its all a fuuucking headache and should be £20 a metre !!!

I thought you already had hardwall plaster but it was called hardcoat?
Is hardwall the same as in england? Are they trying to replace hardcoat?

This post is f**k**g mental. You can float and set a s**t load more in sand and cement that you can hardwall and set. Sand and cement is a better material and easier to use. Personally I'd charge more for hardwall because it is complete and utter shite

Depends on how good the brickies are and how plumb the walls are.
Hardwall is easy to dub out...but s/c f**k that.

It is called hardcoat here. It's been in Ireland years. And it won't take over sand and cement over here as most plasterers are real plasterers over here that can do all aspects of plastering

This post is f**k**g mental. You can float and set a s**t load more in sand and cement that you can hardwall and set. Sand and cement is a better material and easier to use. Personally I'd charge more for hardwall because it is complete and utter shite
think most of us that remember it, loved it !!

I'm with you 100% brother!!
Although don't mind using hardwall myself but to say you get more work done/ground covered is pure folly!!

I thought you already had hardwall plaster but it was called hardcoat?
Is hardwall the same as in england? Are they trying to replace hardcoat?

That's right James, it is called hardcoat, but it's rarely used here and they are doing their level best to push it atm.

Right malc, here's your chance, sell hardwall to the masses of Ireland.
What should IrishGypsum be saying and to whom?
I'll tell you one thing, they shouldn't be going around telling people lies that they will get a job done cheaper!!

i know very little about ireland, although my wife was born in ulster .

hardwall or hardcoat if it is the same plaster, i know that the carlite finish used in ireland is not the same carlite finish that we used in england.

in england we use a medium suction block ,if i was to float on concrete block with low suction i may float all day and skim the next day, we do this sometimes, just give the backing a light spray of water before we set. then skim and trowel up a couple of walls a time, the english carlite finish skims hardwall well.

hardwall is a lightweight plaster with good insulating properties, ideal for high rise properties.

some plasterers do not like to use hardwall , it has some chemicals in it which makes you sinus run, and you sleep like a log after using it. i have used carlite / hardwall a lot it is a simple plaster to use.
when we worked for a large plastering co. we alway received extra money for hardwall/ carlite plastering.

image.jpeg
You don't get many real men these days

But using sand and cement you can spend as many days as you need floating and go back and skim it. Decoraters won't arrive any sooner.

Who gives a f**k about real men its all about profit here
Hardwall through a machine in the morning.skim it in the afternoon
Money in the back pocket

using hardwall you can float in the morning, skim in the afternoon therefore finishing an area quicker.

Jesus malc we are well aware of that, what I am saying is that you wouldn't get more metres completed in total using hardwall over s&c.

In fact another detriment of hardwall is that it takes a lot longer to dry than s&c.

Who gives a f**k about real men its all about profit here
Hardwall through a machine in the morning.skim it in the afternoon
Money in the back pocket

How much would you put on with the machine Bobby? With skimming in afternoon? With how many men of course....
Just roughly like, on housing.

How much would you put on with the machine Bobby? With skimming in afternoon? With how many men of course....
Just roughly like, on housing.
I've got to be honest I have only used hard wall on 1 job with my Ritmo and it was renovation work so only around 50m2 a day
I'd never go back hand balling render & set work
@wiganlad has done tons of it with his machine