Float and set meterage

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freerider

Mainly for you site workers this one, if all the block work is actually flat, what sort of meterage are you able to lay on a day? I only do domestic n my max would prob be 20m, on me own without a labourer, n thatd only be on walls with no windows n ******* about!

So thats my first question n secondly, how do you lay such large areas on without the first lot going off too much to skim without a coat of pva etc/

Mainly curiosity this lads, as you site workers are a different breed! :)

Plasters meant to go off mate or you'd never go home if you can do 20 on domestic you should be able to do 30 on site which is good for a bloke labouring on himself, if that was me I'd skim it then get some beads up for the next day, if youre doing 40 day in day out youve either got to be confident skimming hardwall or break it into 2 sets, if youve got a labourer youve got to be doing over 40m or you might aswell just do 30 by yourself by the time youve paid him you end up with the same anyway don't pva it you'll luck a right t**t lol roll some water on it with a roller if you're struggling but watch out for bubbles

Theres no way id manage 30m in one set on site dude! I see what ya saying but no chance i could manage that lol why do you day if you can do 20 domestic on site youd do 30? Still sets the same, n its the setting time i couldnt keep up with, if ya know what i mean! Cheers anyway geezer!

Freerider if you was in a team on site you would soon come to the standard of the other lads,

no shitting u mate me and my plastering buddy chaz usually do 20 to 25 bags of hardwall a day and set it, come and have a day with us ,it'll do ya good . :RpS_biggrin:

Henry - thats kinda what I was thinking, its just a totally different work ethic, to me as domestic, when I think about site I wouldnt know where to begin, if you know what I mean? Id have to watch what others are doing to see how things are done, sure after time Id get up to speed, but when you hear of the metreage people lay down it literally makes me think Im doing something wrong, biut I know Im no different to any other domestic worker!

Joejoe -**** me dude, thats mental, how on earth does it not suck the life out of the finish though?! in what order do you lay things down etc/

Put it this way, I say I can do 20m, at MOST, and thatd literally only be on two nice flat walls, or one big wall so to speak, for example, on domestic you have window seals and s**t to go round, it makes going round what would normally be an easy window with beads to rule off, it makes it a pain in the arse and takes twice as long, there fore I picture my self on site struggling like a t**t going round all sorts of obstacles like you would on domestic and walking away with about 50pence a day Lol :D

Last edited:
20 - 25 bags is 10-12 bags each it's not that much 20m is 7-8 bags You want to be concentrating on doing a decent job it's pointless killing yourself and not getting paid

itgive your breeze blocks a light hose down , {beads already set up previous day} get your room loaded out with hardwall and slip into robot mode !!! lol. na seriously pal , we knock up in a water butt thats chopped in half, 3 bags in at a time shovel the f**k*r on the board and stand and start on ya biggest wall and well you know the rest !!! im really not bragging but we do an average 8-9 bag set too , guess ya just get to be as fast as the blokes that taught ya . it's just routine to us mate. by the time you've put your 20TH bag on your first wall is nearly ready for setting "simples"

yeah we do get our money's worth our site work isn't paid in meterage , it's price !:RpS_biggrin: when we do our domestic work we normally do a 12 by 12 room ceiling and walls one set , for about 450 labour and materials .

a decent job , hmmm! we dont work on mickey mouse building sites my fellow spread. try luxury mansions in wealthy areas all over london and the south east , do you think we'd be in there if the job we do wasnt a decent one ? i think not , NEXT.:flapper:

id do it all the time but everywhere is skimming turns you into a robot get pissed of on third hit

a decent job , hmmm! we dont work on mickey mouse building sites my fellow spread. try luxury mansions in wealthy areas all over london and the south east , do you think we'd be in there if the job we do wasnt a decent one ? i think not , NEXT.:flapper:
Lol ...... By the way was that reply aimed at me?

a 12x12 room, in one set? you talkign tjust skimming? i COULD do it in two sets, on me own, but Id rather not, average room in 1.5-2 days for me!

Anyway cheers for the feedback geezers!

sites a different kettle of fish freerider its all ive ever known prices are shite so you gotta blast it on

Im back on site now and its starting to hurt already you gotta find a pace that dont kill you, prices are shite aswell but thats the only reason you gotta do so much, first day on we skimmed 2 rooms which was 6 bags of multi then roughed the walls in which was 12 bags a room so 24 bags of hardwall then skim it next day thats the trouble with part board and part float and set you have to set up for 2 different lots and throws you a bit, we have started on a different angle now just either skimming all day or float and set.

You guys are ******* machines, I gotta hand it to ya! honestly dont think I could ever cut it with what you do, gotta learn to float free hand, thats a major slow point, was taught screeds so its all I know, free hand occasionally under windows n what not but as Im not used to it I cant get it perfect! would love to watch people on site for a day just to see the mental stuff they do!

what you wanna do is go to germany and follow some nutter spraying one coat you will soon learn to rule freehand

Freehand and darby the fecker, should be good enough without grounds unless you have a COW's running around with a level.

we had one on a swimming pool we did in dagenham he was gutted when he couldnt pull the walls 8m high rubbed up sand and cement

yep :flapper:
My reply was a tip for free rider ........ ******* he'll there's some knobs about lol.... Good luck float and setting you're stately homes and skimming a room that 1 bloke could do and err being great and a err bit of a t**t

Gary, germany seems to be coming back, i was on a Bricklayers forum earlier and quite a few jobs, i know you all mone about site prices but reading the Brickies forum the prices are realy s**t for brickies you couldnt bring up a family on them wages.

Iknow Spunk and its ******* wrong, all the Brickie subbies in London have never held a trowel, just gangsters, some mug on that forum was advertising for trowels £110 a day how the fcuck can you live in London for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.