Fireplace

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately does not answer my questions mate, their recommendations state you have to use their own render. I've read on here this is not the case.

Do you have to use sand and cement on the face and sides of the chimney bread when a open fire will be getting installed? say hardwall everything from brickwork then sand and cement on the inside?

never sure so i always sand and cement

I have a multi burner in my own house and did the same here as I do for customers. really clean the brickwork/block inside the fireplace if it had a lot of soot on brick/block I'd EML as well as a slurry of SBR cement and water(EML after slurry) then two coat sand cement plain float finish (the insides and back. according to the fire installer they (not me) reckon k-rend the best for heat resistance!? the opening on my fireplace isn't as much as the regs reccomend for my burner but still had no problems nor have any customers. be sure to put SBR in your mixes aswell

Code:
I have a multi burner in my own house and did the same here as I do for customers. really clean the brickwork/block inside the fireplace if it had a lot of soot on brick/block I'd EML as well as a slurry of SBR cement and water(EML after slurry) then two coat sand cement plain float finish (the insides and back. according to the fire installer they (not me) reckon k-rend the best for heat resistance!? the opening on my fireplace isn't as much as the regs reccomend for my burner but still had no problems nor have any customers. be sure to put SBR in your mixes aswell

I reckon he's done that job now mate :rolleyes)

I have just done one a couple of months ago and i used Vitcas render with a finish coat of Vitcas heat resistant plaster, yes it's expensive but that's what it is made for so should do the job perfect. Starting another on Monday. Check the website VITCAS Refractories. Charge a lot for delivery though

Just posted some questions in an old thread not realising it was in the DIY section so I'll try again here.

Is one 10cm coat of sand lime cem render with 1 coat of vitcas finishing plaster okay for opening around log burner?

Does the render have to be fully dry before vitcas applied? If so should the render be Pva'd or Blue gritted or other?

Yes you can, I spoke to vitcas about this and he gave the ok. The only down side though is you need to leave the scratch coat to cure ionger than if you were to use the vitcas mix at 25mm
If the customer is paying and knows the cost of the materials then stick with vitcas but I suspect your trying to keep down costs?

Yes you can, I spoke to vitcas about this and he gave the ok. The only down side though is you need to leave the scratch coat to cure ionger than if you were to use the vitcas mix at 25mm
If the customer is paying and knows the cost of the materials then stick with vitcas but I suspect your trying to keep down costs?

Thanks for that mate, do you know roughly how long you need to leave the render?

Got a customer talking about dot and dabbing cement board into an opening for a log burner. Could there be potential problems with the adhesive due to the heat or will the board block it enough?

Ive done a few for stove companies and they spec'd fermacell boards which i dabbed and then taped and jointed..............if thats any good to you

I do work for a local stove company. been doing their work for two years now with no call backs.
I put mesh angle beads up and bond the inside out and patchup on the outside, I then use heat resistant plaster on the inside and normal finish on the outside. can get one done in 2 1/2 hours so doing two a day isn't a problem.

I do work for a local stove company. been doing their work for two years now with no call backs.
I put mesh angle beads up and bond the inside out and patchup on the outside, I then use heat resistant plaster on the inside and normal finish on the outside. can get one done in 2 1/2 hours so doing two a day isn't a problem.
you the man :RpS_cool:

Yeah only use bonding. Hardwall is no good as that can't take the heat like bonding. Heat resistant plaster skim over the top. I don't use this method for open fires. This is strictly for opening that are having stoves in

Status
Not open for further replies.