Finish coming off blue grit after 3 weeks!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used blue grit and I'm just wondering about it's make up.

It seals and gives a coarse finish. How will a skim over a ceiling coated with this stuff actually stay on?

Is it sticky like PVA? Even after a 24hrs setting time?

Nope, I'm not getting it. Verticals, sure. There's a mechanical key to stop it sliding down a wall. But horizontal? Am I missing something? If the blue grit is stimulated by the wetness of multi then why the drying time?

Like I said. Never used it and probably missing the obvious

@grahambarthel .... Its Pva, Dye, Fine sand and a polymer from what I gather / thought....

When its dry you'll have no problem getting Multi etc to stick to it ... doesn't slide ... holds it nicely back so you can arm aload on in one hit ... . Back at a house doing a different room but a silk artex ceiling I did there over Blue Grit over a year ago is still 100 % - not a crack in sight etc lol
Photo0768.jpg

Cheers mate. I haven't heard any bad comments about this and similar products (Plasprime, Bond It) do it must be decent.

All I was thinking about though was that whenever I've plastered on top of PVA I do so when it's tacky but this doesn't seem to be a requirement for Blue Grit. In fact they instruct you to let it dry for 24hrs.

Anyway, I'd be interested to find out what caused the plaster to come away in this case.

Hi everyone, I went and looked at the ceiling in question today and it looks like the whole lot is blown apart from a small area that was boarded.
One thing I remember is that the walls had blue grit on them for about 48 hours before they were skimmed and the ceiling had blue grit on just 15 hours before hand. Should I have left it longer before skimming?? who knows.... but it does say to leave for at least 6 hours for blue grit I believe. The blue grit is still on the ceiling and very sound, the finish has come clean off the grit without a trace except for dry dust from the finish. I will pva, bond & skim the ceiling to remedy this.

Hi everyone, I went and looked at the ceiling in question today and it looks like the whole lot is blown apart from a small area that was boarded.
One thing I remember is that the walls had blue grit on them for about 48 hours before they were skimmed and the ceiling had blue grit on just 15 hours before hand. Should I have left it longer before skimming?? who knows.... but it does say to leave for at least 6 hours for blue grit I believe. The blue grit is still on the ceiling and very sound, the finish has come clean off the grit without a trace except for dry dust from the finish. I will pva, bond & skim the ceiling to remedy this.

If it was dry when you skimmed it then that should be fine.... if you applied the skim with the grit still wet then if it's blown I would have thought the grit would have come off as well...

I have hit blue grit when it was not fully dry due to curcumstances,never had any problems with it.

It will be put right, in my 30+ years of plastering I have had maybe 5 walls or ceilings that have blown but I learnt from my mistakes on them each time, blue grit & bondit seem to be the solution for areas that arent really suitable for pva but my confidence in using them has been dented.

It will be put right, in my 30+ years of plastering I have had maybe 5 walls or ceilings that have blown but I learnt from my mistakes on them each time, blue grit & bondit seem to be the solution for areas that arent really suitable for pva but my confidence in using them has been dented.

it would dent mine as well

When I have used blue grit I have let it dry then a coat of pva over blue grit
Can be a bit weird the suction rate on blue grit !

Forgot to mention there was a sparky pulling and hauling at cables for low voltage lights 2 days after it was skimmed, he had a problem with a trapped cable somewhere in the centre of the ceiling. Mmmmmmmmm

I'm guessing that that's it there.
I was gonna say it has to be something like a foreign contaminant- dust, condensation or someone has wiped something over it wd or oil.

But I'm now betting your sparky has stressed the lid with what he's doing and blown it. In the same way (as all spreads know) when gear is stuck so well to a surface stress can pop it off, in exactly the same way as when you have to clean your hawk off.

Bend her slightly and pop.

Inuendo eh!

used some '' red grit'' external render... pretty good.. same as blue grit really but for outside...

Whats wrong with pva its been tried and tested for 50 years and its cheap as fook
if it aint broke dont fix it

I didn't say there is anything worng with pva. Blue grit is nicer to skim over so y not use it if the job is big enough

I much prefer to skim over pva. I always end up with high spots with the grits I use making it a pain to skim. I have used .blue grit. Bond it. Rendagrip. And plasprime the latter being by far the best IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.