Filler fail

Donzo

B&q 20min quick dry filler, 6 months ago did small repair, total bond failure.
It's spec is good adhesion to painted surfaces,
Anybody had issues with it,
My b&q don't sell easy fill 20 for some reason now
Never had issues with that.

Attachments

• DSC_0205.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 397
B&q 20min quick dry filler, 6 months ago did small repair, total bond failure.
It's spec is good adhesion to painted surfaces,
Anybody had issues with it,
My b&q don't sell easy fill 20 for some reason now
Never had issues with that.
What's the old surface , lime ? Looks like the rest is on its way ?

Painted plasterboard was surface, it was a crack in a few places that was taped, they didn't want a skim.

Painted plasterboard was surface, it was a crack in a few places that was taped, they didn't want a skim.
Seems strange , painted plasterboard with no skim , why the crack not straight

Seems strange , painted plasterboard with no skim , why the crack not straight
Sorry, the ceiling has been skimmed over artex previously by someone. Skim was solid, plasterboard below,,,, it had a few cracks at one bit.
That filler totally just fell off. Absolutely no bond on existing paint.

Sorry, the ceiling has been skimmed over artex previously by someone. Skim was solid, plasterboard below,,,, it had a few cracks at one bit.
That filler totally just fell off. Absolutely no bond on existing paint.
Looks like skim is loose on edge , anyway , so the skim delaminated around a crack ,
( skimmed on dry PVA I assume, )
was the area prepped ( cleaned and PVA ) for your filler ?

Looks like skim is loose on edge , anyway , so the skim delaminated around a crack ,
( skimmed on dry PVA I assume, )
was the area prepped ( cleaned and PVA ) for your filler ?
Crack was paper taped with filler, then area feathered out with filler, no pva required, filler is spec like easy fill on prep on painted surface.

I would clean , PVA to seal surface and use Toupret filler
Assume their is foot traffic above and it's a case of keeping fingers crossed
The skim looks loose at the edge

Customer...got a cracked artex ceiling can you skim it
Plasterer,.. Yes no problem , give me the money
Customer.. Got a crack , donzo can you sort it
Donzo.. Yes
Etc
I think it's likely to return and am not the right person to advise you as its too late and the customer is fighting a loosing battle and I'm OTT , ( you may have read some of my posts ) but at least your post is bumped for others to advise ,
Good luck and don't forget " ceiling board joints should be mid joists , not on a joist
:love:

Looks like you’ve filled over an existing crack without digging it out n meshing? Hard to see. If so, source or original crack still there n pushed it off?
Why's the crack not straight?
I don't agree, I re done in toupret
You don't pva if a filler specs says compatible with painted surfaces. I read pdf on most materials I use.
You don't pva with easy fill also.
It ain't prep failure it's material failure.
Good for you , don't come on here for people to agree with me , I don't always agree with what it says on the packet ( i treat it as guidance that doesn't cover all scenarios and am Ott from 20 years of over skimming stuff that nobody wants to touch )
Bump for more ideas :)
( and disagreement )

Why's the crack not straight?

Good for you , don't come on here for people to agree with me , I don't always agree with what it says on the packet ( i treat it as guidance that doesn't cover all scenarios and am Ott from 20 years of over skimming stuff that nobody wants to touch )
Bump for more ideas :)
( and disagreement )

Don’t know without being there.

Don’t know without being there.
Had a bloke try to get me to overskims artex on plasterboard once , on close inspection it had skim, artex , bond and skim then another artex , was approaching 3/4 inch already , refused especially as it was downstairs and 4m joists, lol my dad did it ( I was always fighting a loosing battle )

It’s good that you try new stuff mate fair play but I would not touch any of their stuff again if I was you.
The dabbing seems to set too fast and I’m guessing there will be failures there too.

The crack is irrelevant, the material did not adhere to ceiling. Stuff was feathered at least 8" either side of tape. Just scraped off. It was a simple case of de bonding.

With non air dried filler you should always pva first. So never easyfill on paint only joint cement.

Last edited:
With non air dried filler you should always pva first. So never easyfill on paint only joint cement.
Where do the manufacturers say that, for toupret, easy fill etc that are a non dried filler.outwith the spec for this gear I spoke to their technical department and the assured me it will bind to painted surfaces, no pva.
It's says on their website.
Omg

Where do the manufacturers say that, for toupret, easy fill etc that are a non dried filler.outwith the spec for this gear I spoke to their technical department and the assured me it will bind to painted surfaces, no pva.
It's says on their website.
Omg
Does it bind to dusty surfaces

I ring tech people a lot , they usually don't understand my questions :love:

Which do you think the filler would stick to best , sealed or dusty

Which do you think the filler would stick to best , sealed or dusty
The surface was not dusty when first repaired, it had a few cracks on a clean emulsion ceiling, picture yesterday was when I removed it. I emailed them kept, some of the gear that was removed.
I have never seen a painter pva surfaces then easy fill.
And seen loads of large projects.

Is this gps. Lol

The surface was not dusty when first repaired, it had a few cracks on a clean emulsion ceiling, picture yesterday was when I removed it. I emailed them kept, some of the gear that was removed.
I have never seen a painter pva surfaces then easy fill.
And seen loads of large projects.

Is this gps. Lol
Ha , firstly I don't do something just because I've seen someone else do it and secondly
I still pose the question would it stick better without the PVA , that's your call
If its held together and come away with in bits I would have guessed it's the bond

Ceilings flex, thick filler doesn't
Have you seen my post on double visit skimming , several thin layers PVA'd will flex more than one thick layer , ( not the main reason for double skim but an additional bonus )
I get why you all think I'm mad , you think I do this to every ceiling , in fact it's probably 1 in 10

If you like to see other peoples work I've got nearly a 100m2 ceiling that has all board joints glued mid joists , not on the joists

Just to confirm my madness , its only a barn for storing crap :love:

Ha , firstly I don't do something just because I've seen someone else do it and secondly
I still pose the question would it stick better without the PVA , that's your call
If its held together and come away with in bits I would have guessed it's the bond

Ceilings flex, thick filler doesn't
Have you seen my post on double visit skimming , several thin layers PVA'd will flex more than one thick layer , ( not the main reason for double skim but an additional bonus )
I get why you all think I'm mad , you think I do this to every ceiling , in fact it's probably 1 in 10
Possibly, but I don't use pva when it says on the tin
No need to spot prime
Good adhesion to painted surfaces, that's up to manufacturers to state that on their spec sheet.

What happens if you pva, then blows with filler, you say to manufacturers I pva d first.
Usual warranty void, you used a agent that is not in
Application sheet.

Possibly, but I don't use pva when it says on the tin
No need to spot prime
Good adhesion to painted surfaces, that's up to manufacturers to state that on their spec sheet.

What happens if you pva, then blows with filler, you say to manufacturers I pva d first.
Usual warranty void, you used a agent that is not in
Application sheet.
Agree so bnq are paying for you to repair then , let me know how that goes , I would guess PVA is in the void warranty small print lol

Would you expect a solid item ( filler ) to stay bonded to emulsion when flexed , I used to think I was the mad one