Filler fail

Members online

OK , I was going to suggest a possible solution bit your not going to like it

Check crack for opening with a plump human stomping around upstairs , get your customer to witness crack opening so they know the score
Locate joists along the filler area and get more screws in ( every 4 " )
PVA all the recessed area , wet coat , leave to dry 1 hr
Mix filler with PVA and first coat
Stick tape in and cover to level off hole
When fully dried use filler as a surface coat to blend whole area
Ring the tech line and confess :love:

In the pink book the screws should go in after the first PVA has fully dried but thought that ott :love:

Thought you wouldn't like it ,
So here's another
Assuming its a bedroom above
Rearrange so the bed bridges the dodgy moving joists , refill with the same method lol
unfortunately the world wants an easy one step solution and that's not the case with plastering , let me know how you sort it

As above... I would clean with cleaner and degreaser, I use Virosol as brilliant and cheap... PVA or other sealer to seal surface and use Toupret filler.

Patchers on site mix handful of skim into filler.....never used it but they swear by it (y)
I would agree for one main reason
As above... I would clean
As above... I would clean with cleaner and degreaser, I use Virosol as brilliant and cheap... PVA or other sealer to seal surface and use Toupret filler.
No shortcuts to quality mate , patching and repairs is a highly skilled art that gets no respect by the sales pitch on the front of the box

Here's a total summary of how to be a good plasterer in relation to advertising and possibly one of the best bits of life advice

1. Rake any loose plaster from the hole in the wall and the surroundings.
  2. Brush any dust from the damaged area. You have to make sure the hole is cleaned from residue because the filler needs to be able to stick to its background. Failing to do this could cause the filler/ plaster to fall out.
  3. Wet the surface down. Apply a little bit of water to the worked area. This will help the filler bond to its background and it also prevents shrinkage.
  4. Push the filler into the hole. Apply lots of pressure and make sure you fill all the hole.
  5. Smooth off with your scraper. Try and trowel the filler so its flush with the wall – if you can’t manage this leave it proud so you can return when dried.
That's what they say ,,,

firstly I've just phoned bg and spoke to their technical helpline , guess what
Go on guess what they said about PVA a painted surface before using easyfill

" we haven't actually tested PVA cos its not our product "
" but if you want to stabilise the surface that's OK also surface should be scratched"

So here comes my theme tune again

X
  1. Rake any loose plaster from the hole in the wall and the surroundings.
  2. Brush any dust from the damaged area. You have to make sure the hole is cleaned from residue because the filler needs to be able to stick to its background. Failing to do this could cause the filler/ plaster to fall out.
  3. Wet the surface down. Apply a little bit of water to the worked area. This will help the filler bond to its background and it also prevents shrinkage.
  4. Push the filler into the hole. Apply lots of pressure and make sure you fill all the hole.
  5. Smooth off with your scraper. Try and trowel the filler so its flush with the wall – if you can’t manage this leave it proud so you can return when dried.
That's what they say ,,,

firstly I've just phoned bg and spoke to their technical helpline , guess what
Go on guess what they said about PVA a painted surface before using easyfill

" we haven't actually tested PVA cos its not our product "
" but if you want to stabilise the surface that's OK also surface should be scratched"

So here comes my theme tune again

they ain't got a clue tommy Walsh trade secrets I read it every night before bed

I have a vague recollection of a film at my poly of Rainbow with zippy and bungle with george and the other actors , blond and a bearded bloke ( the real actors ) doing a hilariously suggestive clip , will post on new thread , lots get noted with same topic