fighting a losing battle

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owls you're speaking to me like im a young lad im 44 being do it since I was 16 I do make a living out of it,i have a decent holiday every years the kids have nice things so whats you're point , draw me a picture if you like!

Calm down buddy, know ones getting at you.. Builder will always expect any trades to work on a day rate of between £100-120 as there is many people out there that will, I mean how else would they make money out of us right?

In my mind I would have told him £230 just to be a cu8t, the long and short of it is people will work for silly money, if I was in such hardship then I would rather work as a labby for £200-£300 a week than spread for £350-400 as it's just devaluing the trade..

This builder has seen you coming if you know what I mean, struggling next door in all weathers to get something done then you inquiring who's doing the plastering etc, sort gives him the upper hand when prices come into the situation

Last edited:
firstly he got the wrong end of the stick , when I made the general point about 130 being peanuts for a job like that, weather he took it on or not has nothing to do with it. then he got the wrong end of the stick again when he thought I was having a go at him, the guys a numpty.

@owls that's why I said it. You've always come across as a decent bloke :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
wasn't trying to be a clever shite, just giving an opinion, aint that what forums are for.

attachment.php

It must be something to do with the road I'm working in , a few houses down there's a lad rendering a bay he was going over expanding metal and I said to the fella I'm working for that he's trying to do it one he's rubbing it up with a sponge , the fella said he's not a spread he's a window fitter he's done work for me and listen boys I consider myself a decent bloke and don't want to fall out with anyone on here especially lads who know what they're talking about I aint gunna sulk like a little kid we're all men aren't we so lets move on and Owls I've never been called a numpty before that's a new one for me you wanna start watching the Blades and chill out man!

I see this kitchen fitter who sees a labour only plasterer with maybe a van or not and a set of tools. In a low economy area like certain parts of Lancashire where labour is already cheap then a labour only spread could easily be found for £120 a day. There is spreads here in South Yorkshire who would be grateful for that in winter. £120 a day in Jan or Feb is better than a kick in the teeth.

Now in summer when demand is up then you have the upper hand.

I was watching an interview with Rod Steiger one night and he was asked you've been in some great films and some not so great films , why do you agree to do these not so great films, his reply was "You do what you gotta do to put bread on the table" that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.