fighting a losing battle

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobspread

working outside this week rendering a 3 bedroom semi , new the weather was gunna be awful , so I was just tidying up today ,anyway I was speaking to lad working next door he's fitting a new kitchen ,he's ripped the old one out and knocked all the plaster off the wall,i asked who's doing the plastering he said I don't know but the boss will be here soon, so boss turns up and shouts me over for a price the walls need dabbing and the ceiling boarding max size 4x3m2 I said £ 230 you supply the gear I could tell by his face I was too dear, i'll get back to you he said

@bobspread I'd have taken your hand off! Kitchens like bathrooms always need that bit of extra care to make sure everything is bob on or the fitters complain!?
Sounds like the kitchen boss is an ass wipe to me!! Be worth asking whoever is there doing the job if your around rendering?? I bet its nobody off the forum lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly Ben most kitchen people I do stuff for say they prefer me to s/c and skim but time won't allow it with drying out etc so against my preference I have to dab!? I hgatre dabbing!! I prefer the farmhouses I work on as no dabbing in sight and s/c only and I'm ............
attachment.php

working outside this week rendering a 3 bedroom semi , new the weather was gunna be awful , so I was just tidying up today ,anyway I was speaking to lad working next door he's fitting a new kitchen ,he's ripped the old one out and knocked all the plaster off the wall,i asked who's doing the plastering he said I don't know but the boss will be here soon, so boss turns up and shouts me over for a price the walls need dabbing and the ceiling boarding max size 4x3m2 I said £ 230 you supply the gear I could tell by his face I was too dear, i'll get back to you he said

Hi mate, have you considered that he maybe thought you were too cheap so might rush it and fuk it up?
It IS on the low side (in my opinion) :RpS_thumbup:

Bubbles the house im working on next door has been gutted and had a new extension front and back ive just finished that and now im rendering it so I don't think he thinks im a chancer ,to be honest I could dab and board it and finish it in a day if I worked late but it not gunna happen but as marshy says it shoud be sand and cement but he said dab it but as I said I could tell by his face I was too dear

Fair enough then Bob, you're a better man than me if you could do that in a day. Board the ceiling, dab the walls and skim it? Especially a kitchen with at least one box per board on average............

2 days work there. £115 per day and getting the kitchen done ASAP. If they come back tell to b*ll***s!

Hope you mean £230 for a days work...if for 2 days much too cheap, that's why the builder wasn't sure about you.

Bringing down the trade charging prices like that.

Got a builder ring to look at a job this morning. Two half days work for two of us (spreads). One 5 hrs the other 3. Told him £250 labour only he told me to take a hike!

The lad ripping out the kitchen has done the boarding , he used a bucket trowel to dab the back of the boards, the boss turned up yesterday and said to me give us a price to skim it, I didn't go in this time to ave a look I said £130 he said it will only take you a day I said I know thats the price, then hes says are you supplying the plaster as well ffs!

The lad ripping out the kitchen has done the boarding , he used a bucket trowel to dab the back of the boards, the boss turned up yesterday and said to me give us a price to skim it, I didn't go in this time to ave a look I said £130 he said it will only take you a day I said I know thats the price, then hes says are you supplying the plaster as well ffs!
tell the greedy ******* to do one!

I wouldn't give him the time of day pal...personaly I think 130 is stupid price for skimming a room in my opinion

customers probably paying 10k for the kitchen!!!

Zombie its a small kitchen,as I said I'm rendering outside in this shite weather you can work in it upto a certain point but when you know its gunna be torrential your gunna be sitting in the house not getting paid I just thought at least im earning but im still too dear,Im not one of those spreads who lives on fantasy island who wouldn't get out bed for less than£200 aday I live in the real world where times are still hard finding graft, some spreads don't ave to go out their own street to find work but I bet most spreads on here ave to travel!

Zombie its a small kitchen,as I said I'm rendering outside in this shite weather you can work in it upto a certain point but when you know its gunna be torrential your gunna be sitting in the house not getting paid I just thought at least im earning but im still too dear,Im not one of those spreads who lives on fantasy island who wouldn't get out bed for less than£200 aday I live in the real world where times are still hard finding graft, some spreads don't ave to go out their own street to find work but I bet most spreads on here ave to travel!

Don't get me wrong buddy I appreciate it would have been a good opportunity to fill a couple of down days....my point was more the fact that once the boarding was out of the price being left with just 130 for skimming the room after the builders mugging you off I would rather have just laughed at him and still had my pride then let him think he could talk/treat me like that questioning my price etc....he wants to eat all the meat then throw you a couple of bones!!!

I see where your coming from @bobspread I read some posts of hundreds of pounds per day and I think to myself well done you mate but in parts of Lancashire where I am you wouldn't get away with it! But in some areas you would?? Its about knowing your market and those of us who have little UN's and been quiet for a few week ?? £130 is better than F all !! Especially if your missus is constantly reminding you of how far your falling behind with bills etc. A cruel world at times and we have to sometimes take things on the chin and get on with it!! For you lads who are fortunate enough to have regular work charging your £200 + per day my hats off to you but for some of us depending where you live etc its a case of make do with what you can?

Last edited by a moderator:
if your not making a living plastering, ie working for peanuts or working the odd day a week, go and learn/ do something different otherwise whats the point. its a hard game on your body so you need to make a living at it.

Owls you're speaking to me like im a young lad im 44 being do it since I was 16 I do make a living out of it,i have a decent holiday every years the kids have nice things so whats you're point , draw me a picture if you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.