Festool drywall screwdriver (collated)

Members online

brierley89

Hello, Has anyone here used or played with the festool screw gun? I currently use the makita collated gun but its jamming up a lot now and im looking for something new, I will be using it most days of the week so it has to be good and i do not want to buy rubbish im also looking at the hilti which i know is a good machine , the festool does look good they offer good warranty like hilti and they have 4.2ah batteries and its brushless i shall add links.
Thanks for your help

Festool DWC 18-4500 Li 4.2 Drywall Screwdriver SET 18V - Autofeed Screwdrivers - Drills, Drivers & Screwdrivers - Power Tools | Axminster.co.uk

Festool DuraDrive DWC184500 18v Li-ion Cordless Autofeed Screwdriver - ITS TV - YouTube

Mate I'd lose the makita there rubbish I wouldn't get any thing but hiliti.
that festool don't look like its cut out for grafting looks cheap

I have a makita and spray the moving parts of the gun a lot with WD-40 as I find plasterboard dust etc clogs it up causing it to jam? fingers crossed I don't have that issue anymore but I hear that the hilti ones are the dogs dangleys ? very expensive tho and heavy? joiner mates of mine swear by festool stuff but I find and its like anything if you look after your stuff then it will look after you? if I had to replace mine I'd try a few first and see what's best for me before buying?

I know a lot of boarders that swear by the Hilti. Festool looks like a good bit of kit but wouldnt chance it personally

i've a parkside one from lidl. excellent bit of kit. there's a video on youtube somewhere. i will try and source. very reasonably priced as well

Yer I know carpenters and they love festool, I've emailed my local dealer see if they can get one in so I can have a look, it seems like it has some good ideas but its just the case of will it earn money and work all the time, it says it will do 3000 screws on one battery I'm tempted to try it and if I'm not happy send it back and get the hilti, does anyone know the price of hilti? With magazine.

Festool have a good reputation but this is their first auto feed so I would go with hilti while others put the festool to task. I've had a dura spin in the past and it never let me down.

Hopefully my local festool dealer can get one in then I can see what it's like, thought there might be one on here who has tried it, anyone know the price of a hilti?

The Hilti SD5000 A22 (22v) with SMD57 collated attachment, 2 batteries and charger is £420 + vat. The Festool is going to be a good gun, but as someone else said, this is the first one with a collated attachment, so i'd see if you can get a demonstrator to try before you buy.
I have the Hilti. Makita Schmakita.

@Jurek, some other spreads I know have those and I'm not keen I find them clumsy but as I said earlier each to there own? one thing works for one but not for the other?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jurek, some other spreads I know have those and I'm not keen I find them clumsy but as I said earlier each to there own? one thing works for one but not for the other?? :)

it does have it's quirks. it's okay for the occasional use it gets, though. would i buy another ...... no

The Hilti SD5000 A22 (22v) with SMD57 collated attachment, 2 batteries and charger is £420 + vat. The Festool is going to be a good gun, but as someone else said, this is the first one with a collated attachment, so i'd see if you can get a demonstrator to try before you buy.

Thanks for that info pretty pricey but then its a good piece of kit, need to try this festool then decide, i like the fact the hilti batteries tell you how much juice they have but then its just a gimmick.

Pain in the arse autofeeds, screws to expensive, the gun itself to expensive, jamming and where I work couldn't leave it out of your site for 5 secs it would be gone.

Pain in the arse autofeeds, screws to expensive, the gun itself to expensive, jamming and where I work couldn't leave it out of your site for 5 secs it would be gone.
I can get 35mm collated for about £6 a 1000. Maybe a bit dearer than loose, but see the time you save.

The Hilti SD5000 A22 (22v) with SMD57 collated attachment, 2 batteries and charger is £420 + vat. The Festool is going to be a good gun, but as someone else said, this is the first one with a collated attachment, so i'd see if you can get a demonstrator to try before you buy
wheres that from hilti that's cheap as they quoted me £525.00 + vat and thought to pricey

wheres that from hilti that's cheap as they quoted me £525.00 + vat and thought to pricey
I have an account with them so must get a discount.
Just checked my account and it's £429 + Vat for the drill, 2x 3.3ah batteries, charger, SMD57 in a case.

Last edited:
Appreciate what you are saying Tony just don't get on with them nothing worse than having a sheet of soundboard sat on your head and the fcker jamms.

Hello thanks for all the reply's I brought the Festool collated gun thought i might as well try it for 30 days see what its like, i got it from ffx.co.uk because they were the cheapest and great service! received it today and had a little go at home seems good a little more complex than the makita it seems well made and cant wait to try it out on site tomorrow.

Hello thanks for all the reply's I brought the Festool collated gun thought i might as well try it for 30 days see what its like, i got it from ffx.co.uk because they were the cheapest and great service! received it today and had a little go at home seems good a little more complex than the makita it seems well made and cant wait to try it out on site tomorrow.
had a little go at home?:RpS_scared: on what?

I use the festool chippy gear(plunge saw,router,sander etc)for that stuff it is light years ahead of anything else I have used.typical German efficiency,I sure you won't be disappointed.

I'm looking into buying a new autofeed now and like to know how the festool performs? Also which option would be better the 2500rpm or the 4500rpm?
Regards
peter

I've used the hilti one but found it awkward to use only get two fingers on trigger , I found they jam a lot when you use cheap screws that firms on new builds supply used gyproc in it worked great then we had some no branders with a bit of chinese paper in with them jammed everyother screw

I've used the hilti one but found it awkward to use only get two fingers on trigger , I found they jam a lot when you use cheap screws that firms on new builds supply used gyproc in it worked great then we had some no branders with a bit of chinese paper in with them jammed everyother screw

Are you using the SMD 57 or SMD55? Never had a problem with mine jamming, and how many fingers do you need to pull a trigger?