Fed Up !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real problem here is population/immigration, there is simply to many people chasing not enough work,jobs and housing. Many people see self employment as a way out of a no work/job situation and the construction industry is probably the biggest user of a self employed work force.This effects a demand for training leaving many people of a older age with no chance of an apprenticeship so the training companies like Golden Trowel fill the void. Why plastering is so popular is beyond me and i can only assume it is that people saw how much money was being earned in the boom years and think that they can to still earn that sort of living . that coupled with the mas immigration of cheap labour from the E.U has driven down prices and caused a situation where supply now out strips demand.What is the answer?, well in my opinion we are well and truly buggered an the genie is now out of the bottle ,we just have to get on with it or get out and do something else,which brings me back to to many people chasing to few jobs. Its tough out there in the jobs market with so much competition with wages being so low and the cost of living so high. Good luck to those who choose to get out ,there is a lot against you if you want a decent job and the employment agencies seem to have all the unskilled work sewn up so that would be done one a here today gone tomorrow basis.To sum it all up i think we a all fuked.

I'm going back to college in September to do a HNC in construction. Might not lead to anything but I'm trying. Will do as many courses as possible. Can't see the point in chasing other trades and being a jack of all. I pride myself in being good at what I do and if I'm scratching my way through a trade I've no real experience in I'll feel no better than the chancers that f***ed the plastering trade up.

I think also ATM unless your very lucky whatever you retrain in your not gonna earn more than your earning now anyway , so I think wipe your mouth,puff your cheeks out and keep on grafting and it will return.

Thats always an indicator of something dying....the teachers start making more money than the people actively doing the work.

I saw the exact same thing happen at the peak of the property boom, when all you saw were courses in 'how to make money from property'.

Now they are doing seminars in how to make money in the rental market. Homes under the hammer makes it look all so easy and an instant profit from day one. Well it could be if you have the spare cash at auctions or the estate agents that sells repo's and you know what you are doing. If you don't then you could be giving up all your savings to see hardly any return and with the risks your money would have been better in a high interest bond.

I can see an over supply of houses on the rental market soon and when that happens rents drop in value. Also if and when the economy picks up and mortgages become more accessible today's renters will be tomorrow's buyers. That will be the time to sell the buy to let.

I think also ATM unless your very lucky whatever you retrain in your not gonna earn more than your earning now anyway , so I think wipe your mouth,puff your cheeks out and keep on grafting and it will return.

A fair point but if you/me/anybody just carries on hoping it'll get better again one day then it doesn't and rates aren't worth **** then at least there's an alternative. I'd hate to be stuck, too old, knackered and working for peanuts.

Now they are doing seminars in how to make money in the rental market. Homes under the hammer makes it look all so easy and an instant profit from day one. Well it could be if you have the spare cash at auctions or the estate agents that sells repo's and you know what you are doing. If you don't then you could be giving up all your savings to see hardly any return and with the risks your money would have been better in a high interest bond.

I can see an over supply of houses on the rental market soon and when that happens rents drop in value. Also if and when the economy picks up and mortgages become more accessible today's renters will be tomorrow's buyers. That will be the time to sell the buy to let.

Thats mine and your pension down the pan too then eh?
Great!

Actually that fits in ok for those (like me) with interest only mortgages who plan to sell one day anyway.

Happy days if prices double again when the renters become buyers.

Last edited:

I have bought and sold over the years, rental market in London is booming, top areas 20k a month for a top london house, average area 2000 plus for a 3/4 bedroom, people are paying top dollar at the auctions, homes under the hammer shows the success stories and they are a few. But people lie on the programme saying I spent 120 k when the true price was closer to 170k, then hey presto a hundred grand profit on paper, I smile sometimes at the lies as everyone in London knows a loft and side plus back extension,re wire plumb posh kitchen and bathroom etc will never be done in London for that money, 1 skip costs over £300 pounds for a start , it goes on and on , I am so damn hesitant to buy again as I got burnt in 08 but I need to, sick of plastering but I need to do it, amen to that you guys will probably say..

Well i blame the polish labourers, guys around my want do a bit of labouring for say 6 months and they are tradesmen.

I know someone who told me he is going behind a few doing re-skims lol.

If they want crap finishes let them skrimp.

Cos they're out of order,don't know how long youve been plastering oli, buts this is something u will have to get used too,it's never in the bag until You have started the job I'm afraid.

the trick is get it started ASAP! Even if you have work on for the next 2 week go of an evening start a little prep ;)

I remember working for very hungry spreads, they would start one flat in a new block and be sticking beads on the blocks in a couple more, using 18 inch timber hawks, something I would do myself now given the chance..

the trick is get it started ASAP! Even if you have work on for the next 2 week go of an evening start a little prep ;)
the job is not in the bag even if you have started it. i know of a local contract where the plastering contractor has gone on holiday, and now his workforce are doing the work direct for the builder!

I remember working for very hungry spreads, they would start one flat in a new block and be sticking beads on the blocks in a couple more, using 18 inch timber hawks, something I would do myself now given the chance..

:RpS_laugh: Talk about Fatarm!! HaHa

We used to get a few flats claimed next to each other

the job is not in the bag even if you have started it. i know of a local contract where the plastering contractor has gone on holiday, and now his workforce are doing the work direct for the builder!

thats a matter of trust in your men and contact.

wrong on so many levels but it happens

LOL reminds me of the time i knocked **** out of a dryliner for putting a couple of boards up in a flat and he had'nt finished the one he was in, but what wound me up he was hiding the screws so nobody else could get on with anything.

LOL reminds me of the time i knocked **** out of a dryliner for putting a couple of boards up in a flat and he had'nt finished the one he was in, but what wound me up he was hiding the screws so nobody else could get on with anything.
he was ravenous for a pound ....

what is going on ..lol ..I must say I was fed up about 3 years ago when £100 was a fair price for a ceiling.. maybe there are too many cowboys and chancers out there who are devaluing our skills .. personally I did about 25 years of plastering and obtained my city & guilds / nvq certs we have all worked hard . chaps to hone our skills and a lot of companies .. and private clients are using cheap labour which can only be to the detriment of our trade , speaking personally .I am proud of my plastering trade and experience and I am not going to undrer price my work.

that is a lot of the current problem where certain labourers are undercutting the time served proffessionals
Well i blame the polish labourers, guys around my want do a bit of labouring for say 6 months and they are tradesmen.

I know someone who told me he is going behind a few doing re-skims lol.

If they want crap finishes let them skrimp.

It has changed so much, we have lost some clients to cheaper people ,funny that the client does not even notice they are slower and less able.Cheaper does it every time..

They dont know the differance between a good job and a bad one,Its all about the moneyMate.

I think the mans taking the piss , plastering is bloody hard work and we earn every penny if that fellla is going to do it for that price he's a fool to himself and his stupidity jeopardises pricing for all of us .
Lets hope the job ends up with 20 kgs of easyfill and a really pissed off deccy .

I'v started my building business again just won my first contract, move into remodeling there are not that many doing them, these cheap spreads don't have the balls to take on the work involved but a qualified trades person can. the small jobs are just not worth pricing anymore waste of diesel driving there.

Status
Not open for further replies.