Faux Beam info!

Members online

Topcatz

Hi everyone, I'm a plasterer in cheshire and doing my second internal false beam, (first one was my house) I use a layer of bonding then multi and then shape it up. I'll dilute SBR to prime it then apply acrylic paints which are water based. Just after some advice on how you build and colour yours, there's not a lot of info out there. Cheers, Tim
IMG20220119165237.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm a plasterer in cheshire and doing my second internal false beam, (first one was my house) I use a layer of bonding then multi and then shape it up. I'll dilute SBR to prime it then apply acrylic paints which are water based. Just after some advice on how you build and colour yours, there's not a lot of info out there. Cheers, TimView attachment 67913

Somebody else did a post a few years back, but don’t recall if there was any actual info about techniques to make them.

Somebody else did a post a few years back, but don’t recall if there was any actual info about techniques to make them.

Yeah it's the colouring info that's sketchy, actually sculpting it is enjoyable - 4" brush across when it's tacky for the fine grain then pen knife the rest in. I'll stick to me acrylic paints from the Works. Acrylics dry waterproof and colour is permanent apparently, not sure how long they'd last in direct sunlight though. Cheers for the feedback chaps

Hi everyone, I'm a plasterer in cheshire and doing my second internal false beam, (first one was my house) I use a layer of bonding then multi and then shape it up. I'll dilute SBR to prime it then apply acrylic paints which are water based. Just after some advice on how you build and colour yours, there's not a lot of info out there. Cheers, TimView attachment 67913

Not my cup of tea, but nicely done (y)

I like the way you did that knot (top right).

Never tried faking woodgrain with gypsum, but I did do a bit of faking woodgrain with paint, in school art classes. The method we learned was what you see in the first few seconds of this video.

I don't think it would work for texturing wet gypsum, because the rubber texture of the tool would immediately fill up with skim, but there's a chance you might get it to work just for adding paint on top of sealed gypsum.

Never tried faking woodgrain with gypsum, but I did do a bit of faking woodgrain with paint, in school art classes. The method we learned was what you see in the first few seconds of this video.

I don't think it would work for texturing wet gypsum, because the rubber texture of the tool would immediately fill up with skim, but there's a chance you might get it to work just for adding paint on top of sealed gypsum.

I can do it when skimming with a trowel

Cheers for that good vid, I lose days watching that kinda stuff. It's not dry yet so I'll post again when I've coloured it. Also I'm only doing that beam, some other lads skimmed the room before me, turned up at 8.30 and gone by about 11 apparently... 4 walls, chimney breast, french doors, 1 window AND inbetween ceiling joists. When the sun comes through just right on the chimney breast, jeeez. They also did 2 bedrooms as well which I've not seen, all 3 for £600!?

It was airborne who posted the thread a few years back. As for colouring then experiment with paints and wood stains to get your colours right. Also if
You wanted you could make a latex or silicone mold from old aged timber around knots and speed up the process of forming the knot.

It was airborne who posted the thread a few years back. As for colouring then experiment with paints and wood stains to get your colours right. Also if
You wanted you could make a latex or silicone mold from old aged timber around knots and speed up the process of forming the knot.
Yes cheers, I think practice with colours is right, I've done some knot moulds out of modelling clay which look surprisingly like fanny casts when they're laid out in the customers house! Seems I'm not too far off then so all the advice is appreciated

Yeah it's the colouring info that's sketchy, actually sculpting it is enjoyable - 4" brush across when it's tacky for the fine grain then pen knife the rest in. I'll stick to me acrylic paints from the Works. Acrylics dry waterproof and colour is permanent apparently, not sure how long they'd last in direct sunlight though. Cheers for the feedback chaps
I'm sure I remember wood stain being mentioned on here in the past.

When do you want me boss?
Tomoz lol.

I.m actual thinking next weekend for side joining next door . I Need to get fence back up . Neighbours sound but he has a staffy . And it will attack my dogs and it takes alot for me to lose my head but I.d flip . Do you reckon floor can be done with out knocking walls out then just fill inbetweener