Fairy Liquid in Sand and Cement Mix

Members online

Fairlyfedup

So, I am really looking for some advice please.

I am in the process of having my lounge replastered, husband and I stripped the room back to the brick and ripped out the dodgy cracked ceiling.

Plasterer was recommended by my neighbour (he'd recently had some work done by this guy), anyway I wanted the ceiling skimmed over the blue plasterboards and the walls in hard wall & skimmed. This guy went on and on about sand and cement and how much of a better finish I'd get, so in the end we went with the sand and cement.

Couple of days ago, he tells me that the ceiling is all over the place and should he put some sand and cement on the ceiling to level it before skimming....I said "no thanks", anyway, turns out while I was out at work he went ahead and put the sand and cement on the ceiling then skimmed it. Have to say it looks okay, anyway tonight my husband, who isn't from the UK and tbh doesn't take a lot of notice told me that the plasterer keeps taking the fairy liquid, suffice to say the entire bottle has been used. Now I realise in the sand and cement mix.

Everything that I've read says that adding fairy liquid is a definite no no. How do I proceed, is it likely that the mix will fail in couple of years? Should I be telling him I'm not happy and he should take the whole lot off and redo it? Or should I just leave it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jayne

I am more concerned about sand and cement on the ceiling :D Maybe some of the old school spreads may shed some light on that....

Using fairy liquid is fine... imo just makes it nicer to use... makes it creamy :D

I personally have never used fairy liquid in a render mix but have used a dash of it in a mix for blockwork, it does fluff the stuff up.

As danny said I am also not to keen on the sand cement on the ceiling, but I bet its been done a few times.

Sand/cement on plasterboard, there's a good chance you'll be wearing it at some point.....seriously if you have kids keep them out of the room.
The man (plasterer he is not) needs a phone call.
Personally I don't use fairy liquid (others available) for rendering.

He might be using the fairy liquid to wash his cup out for his coffee if they are not very forthcoming at the job..

Probably he has a kettle and his own coffee in the back of the van.
Like me.

Considering it's taken him 6 days arsing about rendering 4 walls and boarding a ceiling, (the room is not that big either) actually rendering the ceiling too, lest not forget that little nugget. I think you could be right, he could be sitting on his backside in the back of his van supping coffee then using all my washing up liquid on his cup.

Anyway, will have the discussion with him in the morning re. The cement on the plasterboard ceiling.....as I do have kids, who like to jump around in their bedroom (directly above this rendered ceiling), I suspect there is a very good chance a big chunk of render is likely to fall on someone's head causing a very nasty injury.

To think this guy was the most expensive of 3 quotes, and I went with it because of a recommendation.

So he put the sand & cement on the ceiling and skimmed it while you were at work. Must be fast setting sand&cement.
This is a wind up.

This is definitely not a wind up. I really wish it was. He rang me, said the ceiling was all over the place (which I knew anyway from having new skirting boards a couple of years ago in the room above and they were way out), he asked did I want him to even out the ceiling, suggesting it was going to cost me more ££££, I said no thanks. When I got home that evening the ceiling was pink. I just assumed he'd skimmed it as planned. Following evening he said he put render on the ceiling underneath the skim because he couldn't have left it so uneven, it wouldn't have looked good and he has a reputation ....to me once it's painted white who's really going to sit looking at it? Anyway, one way to find out is to pull down the down lights, which I plan on doing in the morning, then we should be able to see if he's telling stories. More than happy to post the pics too.

If he's put s&c on your plasterboard ceiling you will soon have a carpet. He could have used bonding to do the job so it's not like impossible to do in the first place.
Washing up liquid can lead to a weaker mix due to the air bubbles being too big and of different sizes but internally I wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe tell him to buy you some though.

Thanks for the replies, I was more concerned about the fairy but see from the replies it's not the end of the world and the plaster should be okay. He is skimming it today. Now what I'm really worried about is the ceiling. The job cost is £1400, but this was to originally plaster in hardwall or browning, although I have to say there has been no mention of price adj due to sand being a fraction of the cost. I'm in London so maybe this has some bearing on cost too. I did have two other quotes, one @ £1200 and another @ £1,000. I went with this guy purely on recommendation. Now I wish I hadn't, I now know he charges so much because he works such short days. Yesterday 9-3 which is why it's taking so long.

Stop moaning if he is doing a good job and your happy with the price what's your problem? He hasn't used sand and cement on the ceiling coz it wouldn't stay on or wouldn't dry quick enough.

Actually, if a chunk of render fell from the ceiling on someone....would I be happy? Only if it was you flynny. If you want to be nasty, sod off else where. I came here for advice not to have the piss taken about moaning.

Actually, if a chunk of render fell from the ceiling on someone....would I be happy? Only if it was you flynny. If you want to be nasty, sod off else where. I came here for advice not to have the piss taken about moaning.
Get a grip what if a plane fell out the sky and landed on you? You have had the advise now piss off and try and screw the plasterer down which is what your doing, typical winging customer looking to rob someone.

@ Flynn, I didn't come here to be verbally attacked by some angry man, I came because I was concerned and needed advice which is what most people on here have given. You must have real issues to be so nasty to strangers, do you do that in the street? No, I suspect you just hide at your computer being a total arsewipe. For the record I don't need to "rob" anyone, enough said you sad "SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY"

@ Flynn, I didn't come here to be verbally attacked by some angry man, I came because I was concerned and needed advice which is what most people on here have given. You must have real issues to be so nasty to strangers, do you do that in the street? No, I suspect you just hide at your computer being a total arsewipe. For the record I don't need to "rob" anyone, enough said you sad "SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY"
You get an hour on the pc every Tuesday? See you next week thank god I'm not working in your gaff you will never be seen again, trying to rip people off you make me sick have a nice day xx

You came here for advise on how to rip the plasterer off he has given you the best advise he has been recommended so what's the problem? I can see why your husbands not interested he is probably sick of listening to you.

Flipping heck I can't make my mind up ..
What's going on here
Thought everyone else in the world was mad now I think I am too

P.s what's Tuesday all about ?