External Render Patch and Crack Issues

Members online

AL32

Sorry to be long winded, I'm hoping for some advice and help please.

We've had our house insulated, I believe with enhanced polystyrene insulation board and rendered with K Rend K1 Spray Render White. However the end result is very disappointing, due to the application of the render. The builder used K Rend products, base and mesh, along with the top render K1 Spray Render (hand applied). However the finished result is very patchy and in one section a crack has appeared.

The builder has been very apologetic and says that they will do all they can (labour wise) to rectify the problems. So of course we are looking for a fix that won't put us on the street :/

Although the builder comes highly recommended - says they have done this on many occasions and this is the first time it has happened, it seems their knowledge of the system is :/ as they have no idea how to fix the issues.

We have asked others if they can help, but no one wants to take on the project now that issues have occurred, which I fully understand. Especially as the cost for another to take over is not really viable.

Can anyone advise on a fix, I understand the builder did all correct, up until the top coat of K1 which is a cementitious product (not flexible!). Is it possible to prime over the top of the existing K1 render with K Rend Primer TC and then add a final coat of K-Rend Thincoat TC15 Topcoat?

We have been recommended a product called 'optilith' which apparently is a similar product to K-Rend Thincoat TC15 Topcoat. Has anyone views on this?

Couple of pics attached to show.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• Crack01.jpg
    Crack01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • Patch 01.jpg
    Patch 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • Patch 03.jpg
    Patch 03.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 145

We've had our house insulated, I believe with enhanced polystyrene insulation board and rendered with K Rend K1 Spray Render White. However the end result is very disappointing, due to the application of the render. The builder used K Rend products, base and mesh, along with the top render K1 Spray Render (hand applied). However the finished result is very patchy and in one section a crack has appeared.

The builder has been very apologetic and says that they will do all they can (labour wise) to rectify the problems. So of course we are looking for a fix that won't put us on the street :/

Although the builder comes highly recommended - says they have done this on many occasions and this is the first time it has happened, it seems their knowledge of the system is :/ as they have no idea how to fix the issues.

We have asked others if they can help, but no one wants to take on the project now that issues have occurred, which I fully understand. Especially as the cost for another to take over is not really viable.

Can anyone advise on a fix, I understand the builder did all correct, up until the top coat of K1 which is a cementitious product (not flexible!). Is it possible to prime over the top of the existing K1 render with K Rend Primer TC and then add a final coat of K-Rend Thincoat TC15 Topcoat?

We have been recommended a product called 'optilith' which apparently is a similar product to K-Rend Thincoat TC15 Topcoat. Has anyone views on this?

Oh dear!

There’s nothing you can do except remove the k1 and start again as the cracks will keep coming back, the render is too heavy for the insulation. You may be able to take it off back to the insulation with the insulation still intact is the best scenario worst is it’s ruined the insulation which Will need to be removed and start again. Out of interest what thickness of eps was used?

You can get lightweight mono which is better for it and if the boarding is fixed really well it should be fine I've Done loads without any issues
I wouldn't use krend if it was free it's that bad for cracking
Many thanks for your reply - what would you recommend to use apart from KRend?

I know : ( it amazes me know matter how much you do your homework it bites you : / I had no idea on what was needed and went with recommendation. Now armed with a little knowledge, it surprises as I walk the streets and see just how many people have issues with their rendering.

There’s nothing you can do except remove the k1 and start again as the cracks will keep coming back, the render is too heavy for the insulation. You may be able to take it off back to the insulation with the insulation still intact is the best scenario worst is it’s ruined the insulation which Will need to be removed and start again. Out of interest what thickness of eps was used?
Thanks for your input - the thickness is 50mm.

As good as the intentions of your builder are im afraid rendering costs a lot of money material and labor wise and this is a big cost builders like to cut back on and do it themselves finding a builder that can render to a excellent standard other than sand and cement is few and far between

Thanks for your input - the thickness is 50mm.
Holy sh1t!!!! There’s no way that will last there’s roughly 25k per square metre on boards which at that thickness are not fit for purpose that’s not even considered wind loads ect. were the boards wet fixed and then pinned or just pinned to the substrate? If they’re just pinned it’s definitely remove and back to the substrate

Many thanks for your reply - what would you recommend to use apart from KRend?
Weber M1 is good stuff for ewi but you need to know how far the cracking goes is it through the whole lot or just the topcoat if the boards haven't been fixed properly you're in the s**t