EWI and Render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the worst work I've ever seen in EWI has been done by competent spreads, whose traditional work is second to none!

Some of the best EWI work I have seen has been done by those, technically less skilled than the Timed served spread, but who work part of an integrated and well organised team.

Operatives or plasterer - it doesn't matter - labels account for nothing. End result and finish will always determine where and who future work goes to.

I'm so pleased you've said that John as it's just what I'd been thinking every time we here another story of shoddy work in EWI.
I know nothing about EWI as yet but I'm sure that if I was shown the ropes by the right person I'd pick it up fairly quickly, as would most decent spreads. But even then you can't rush getting experience in any field. I bet most of these horror stories are about work done by "operatives" or failed spreads.

i know what you are saying andy. the word is operatives. when you are working with people who only can do ewi and have being doing so for about twenty years, they can do ewi to a high standard, but could not float and set a wall or screed a floor. they are ewi operatives. they know the systems,can quote the spec,they are not plasterers.
they can use of a hawk and trowel, they can dash, they can do the different finishes, they can apply brick slips, mark out imitation brick work
some systems are closer to plastering then others. i was always told that the m r system was more suitable to myself because it was closer to plastering. but believe me they are all hard work and the chaps who work in ewi earn every penny they receive.

just to add to this-

I have taken good plasterers on board and trained them up in EWI and had them do a qual alongside, their knowledge of trowel application helps them to pick it up quicker and makes it easier for me to explain, this has proven for me -
I have only ever worked with two guys who were non plasterers that did a top notch job and I am not saying its because they don't exist, the old boys of EWI are like that as you mention but where the problems are happening on these funded schemes of late are usually where an influx of unskilled operatives are being used they have never used a trowel because this industry is now vetted in the wrong manner.

i have trained plasterers on ewi, i only invited plasterers that i knew could do a job as i had to cover the wage bill.
as regarding non plasterers
i can only talk about the london and rotterdam scene, the boarding was subbed out to a team that only did boarding and could make money. where there are operatives who can only work in ewi

I am new to the forum and finding it very intresting. Im doing some EWI work myself at the moment and am finding that the work of the lads on the trowel is being under valued as lads that are boarding who are unskilled are getting a better rate than lads applying the gear.We do the full system and its the best way to make a wage as board on the bad weather days so always earning,because the lads with good trowel skills are being under valued any joker is having a go ruining gardens and leaving poor finishes,the rates need to go up there is no way an unskilled man boarding should earn more per sq m than a trade.

Hi all,

I have been using knauf marmorit renders for over 5 years on ICF (insulated concrete formwork) buildings eco homes, this stuff is basically the same as EWI. I have recently watched in dis belief the piss poor workmanship putting EWI on local council houses. This green deal seems a good idea but... yet again its the big boys who make the money and let the tradesman do the graft to earn a mediocre wage.... not fair.

But going back to my point about workmanship, there is no point doing ewi if it is not done correctly, I have seen large voids between the property and the ewi, render apply in freezing and rainy conditions, this is a big no no....

My point is stay away and earn your money else where, dont waste your money making training providers rich and the big boys RICHER!!!!!!!

Hi,

anyone can do EWI, I have trained people from all walks of life its very easy... as long as you can master a trowel!! I do agree about the industry vetting standards............. they are crap

I agree with Keith - Well said Gazcom!!

I am sure that many have said it before (I know JFE has said it several times)...... 5 years time there will be a massive refurb and insurance make good on the work being done at the moment!

Hi,

anyone can do EWI, I have trained people from all walks of life its very easy... as long as you can master a trowel!! I do agree about the industry vetting standards............. they are crap

Crap!!!!.................................non existent more like.

crap gazcom... you talk bullshit mate... how long to master a trowel? 1 week or 3 years... how long to master pebbledashing... i know plasterers who have been in the trade 20 years and still cant pebbledash... how about mastering ashlar jointing, how long to master system components and thier uses...

Alright mate have u got loads of work on were manchester based 3 gang on a job in salford at the moment but you gota jump about in this EWI game you got anything near us.Got decent experience and wetherby accredited.

When insulating a house.and you have boiler flue that cant be extended. How do you lads go about that?
Been told to leave insulation 300mm radious around it and render only to the flue.

Ideas as i think looks crap

that the spec.

keep any insulation back from it, terminate it (track/backwrap/etc etc) then use render only to the masonry up to the flu - it is recessed obviously.

don't worry about what it look like as the people running these installs wont be...... oh the cynicism

ay up owls were 5spreads from west yorkshire,been doing ewi for last few months an doing alright but sick ov chasing contractors for cash an were wondering if you kno any good contractors we do full systems own power, tools an that,anything would be ahelp,cheers bud.

that the spec.

keep any insulation back from it, terminate it (track/backwrap/etc etc) then use render only to the masonry up to the flu - it is recessed obviously.

don't worry about what it look like as the people running these installs wont be...... oh the cynicism

Just wondering can you.
a, leave a gap and fill it with fireproof foam or would it melt

b, leave a square out of say 300mm square finished by a stop track, screw a battern to the stop track and fix aquapanel flush to the insulation

Hi,

It's becoming the new skimming good luck lol

Status
Not open for further replies.