Estimating quantities on a rough surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2k99

Morning all, I'm looking for a little advice on estimating quantities
As the title says...

I've landed myself a big job in switzerland starting in a little over a month. I am shipping the multi finish over in a container (can't get it or anything like it over there and the customer wants it).

The difficulty estimating lies with the surface of the walls and ceilings, they are of a textured finish (called crepe over there) and the fact they are paying £4000 to have plaster shipped over so underestimation is a no no lol.

It's easy enough to estimate on a few artex ceilings but quite stressful over 2400m2 and no room for error given the logistics of it all.

Over boarding isn't an option for them due to time constraints/labour costs, and bonding, it just adds time and effort, (and space in the container) so I was just gonna skim over it all like I do with artex (even quite deep artex) and I get a good finish

So what do you lads think I'll get coverage per bag given the surface?
I reckon maybe 5-7 m2 per bag

I can over order but I don't want to massively over order (like 2 pallets)

I've got all the figures that I think are right but It's good to have some advice from some other experienced heads (20 years myself)

Many thanks in advice
Estimating quantities on a rough surface

It's the best pic I have of the surface but you get the idea!

how long is it taking to get the finish over there?

I would take a punt that if you sent over a couple of pallets that would keep you going and then from there you could see better how much you are going to need :D but 7m2 seems to be about would I would be estimating at...

Just dont tell immigration your working as their will be a tonne of paperwork and tax docs. I went a couple of years ago and just told em, after they opened van and saw tools, I was helping a mate for a week in return for skiing lessons.

Why don't you substitute the extra bags of skins your gonna use and put some bonding in with the first coat to get that extra depth?
The bonding will make the skim go farther and be easier to apply and I'd also think you'd save a wee bit of labour costs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same artex like product they use in France..

Grit prime everything & I would say 5m2

Probably have to bed the beads on giving more of a fill..

Couple of hand full of bonding to each bag probably get 8 bags of skim to 1 bonding..

No way you will get the quants that close given the fact you've not even seen the job, so just over order like it or lump it I'd say

Sounds ace and skiing not to far away [emoji16]

As already said you need/want bonding in your first coat...

As for the rest surley 20 yrs in we don't need to tell you how to suck eggs!!!

Your asking for the impossible not to have to much or to little....well its got to be 1 or the other...

As for not over boarding the ceilings that's just sheer madness and unproffesional at that depth...

how long is it taking to get the finish over there?

I would take a punt that if you sent over a couple of pallets that would keep you going and then from there you could see better how much you are going to need :D but 7m2 seems to be about would I would be estimating at...

Thanks mate, it's a 1 shot deal with the plaster due to the cost's to get it there. They don't mind if I over order the plaster but I would personally like to be accurate, obviously within reason.

Just dont tell immigration your working as their will be a tonne of paperwork and tax docs. I went a couple of years ago and just told em, after they opened van and saw tools, I was helping a mate for a week in return for skiing lessons.

Thanks for the heads up.
They are apparently sorting all the paperwork out, they said they would sort it when I went over. I've been told not to have any materials though as the will sting you on import tax.

Why don't you substitute the extra bags of skins your gonna use and put some bonding in with the first coat to get that extra depth?
The bonding will make the skim go farther and be easier to apply and I'd also think you'd save a wee bit of labour costs!

That is one of the options I was going with, I'm still thinking,I'm gonna work out final amounts ect this weekend and haven't decided yet how I'm gonna tackle it

is it me or does that look like a 1.5mm 2mm texture. ewi finish. doesnt seem that thick compared to artex. id be more worried with the shiny finish thats got.

but quants id say 7-8m a bag like you said

is it me or does that look like a 1.5mm 2mm texture. ewi finish. doesnt seem that thick compared to artex. id be more worried with the shiny finish thats got.

Yea that's there version of artex I think.
Like a flattened in texture finish.
Seen it in loads a places aboard like hotels, apartments etc.

As already said you need/want bonding in your first coat...

As for the rest surley 20 yrs in we don't need to tell you how to suck eggs!!!

Your asking for the impossible not to have to much or to little....well its got to be 1 or the other...

As for not over boarding the ceilings that's just sheer madness and unproffesional at that depth...
Thanks for your advice
Im going to over order the plaster, it's just second opinions of coverage if I were to go with skimming straight over it, so I can weigh up options and have what I think is the correct amount to then add extra too.

There is a good key to plaster onto on the ceilings, and the texture is solid, the floors are concrete slabs that have been coated on the ceiling side, I'll get a good finish on them without over boarding. It's harder work for me but the money is decent so I don't mind the extra work... I say until I'm doing it lol

That's exactly what it is like, about 1.5mm deep, it's been emulsioned a few times so it's not shiny any more, such a good key on it though I doubt the plaster would ever fail, not before the background anyway

If you know how much you use over board or bonding it's easy. Me I will go for 5,5-6 m2 per bag, depends on the job .You might get away with 6.

Same artex like product they use in France..

Grit prime everything & I would say 5m2

Probably have to bed the beads on giving more of a fill..

Couple of hand full of bonding to each bag probably get 8 bags of skim to 1 bonding..

No way you will get the quants that close given the fact you've not even seen the job, so just over order like it or lump it I'd say

Sounds ace and skiing not to far away [emoji16]

I have been there mate and had a look, I told them I'll get more to be safe I'm just getting baseline amounts, skim or bonding and skim, ect.
I'm just throwing ideas around in my head. It's always good to have a little help and advise though, two heads and all that!

As for the skiing,I don't think I could afford a broken leg!!!

It's not mate the whole inside of the house is like it, ceilings and all!
No way !
I will belive it if you say it's lime , but then my corners in my house look way sharper and better! Staining is tipical for external render, mastic too. And that door opens to the inside;)

Status
Not open for further replies.