Eifs training

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the people that come to ours are plasterers that have been offered or won a small rendering job and they are not confident yet to actually do it but they just want the chance to have a practice, go through the pit falls and how to rectify. I wouldn't expect anyone to leave and jump straight onto a job, just like plastering you learn from experience and through your mistakes. You have got to start somewhere.

Lads have been doing it years why aren't they just taking lads with them on jobs and training them or are they so up against it price wise they simply haven't got the time because the industries on it's knees because people like yourselves are driving rates down through taking money out of the whole scheme

You just said it yourself most people that come to you don't know what there doing yet you say you wouldn't expect them to leave and do a job

Same as the cscs its a joke and a complete waste of money that should be going into tradesmans pockets

Spunky firms get paid £1500 a year to take an apprentice on and then depending on the age of the kid you only have to pay them £2.75ph for a minimum of 16 hours a week

You are right people should be learning the old fashioned way of being taken on by the guys who have been doing it years but they don't have the time as they are that busy. We are usually under such a tight programme that you have to be on site get the job done and off also no room for messing up, get it done right the first time around to reduce snagging and any retentions.
We know from the contracting side that there isn't enough men out there for all the work, the rates for rendering are good at the moment, when your competitors are ringing you and asking if you have any men and vice versa you know there is a shortage!
Look at it this way maybe by taking some of the plasterers out of the industry into rendering it is helping the guys that stick to plastering and also helping the shortage of renderers.
I can only speak for ourselves but we are here to teach people a trade not "get em in get em out"and a trade that is currently on the increase due to the government schemes and the change in new build insulation regulations.
Some of our courses are over 10 weeks it just really depends what time the person can afford to take out.
I think we all know there are some people that are either cut out for it or they are not!
Its all about giving people the knowledge, tools and the confidence to make a start otherwise they would never take the leap and we all have to start somewhere, none of us were born as plasterers and renderers:)

is the nvq private or government funded and how much does it cost days etc Inc training ?
And how many days are to be covered to ensure an individual is proficient to go and do a job from start to finish on his tod

You are right people should be learning the old fashioned way of being taken on by the guys who have been doing it years but they don't have the time as they are that busy. We are usually under such a tight programme that you have to be on site get the job done and off also no room for messing up, get it done right the first time around to reduce snagging and any retentions.
We know from the contracting side that there isn't enough men out there for all the work, the rates for rendering are good at the moment, when your competitors are ringing you and asking if you have any men and vice versa you know there is a shortage!
Look at it this way maybe by taking some of the plasterers out of the industry into rendering it is helping the guys that stick to plastering and also helping the shortage of renderers.
I can only speak for ourselves but we are here to teach people a trade not "get em in get em out"and a trade that is currently on the increase due to the government schemes and the change in new build insulation regulations.
Some of our courses are over 10 weeks it just really depends what time the person can afford to take out.

I think we all know there are some people that are either cut out for it or they are not!
Its all about giving people the knowledge, tools and the confidence to make a start otherwise they would never take the leap and we all have to start somewhere, none of us were born as plasterers and renderers:)

So if you arnt having the lads on site how are you training them?? oh and yes how much is the daily cost to the person?

The NVQ is (or was) free through training providers such as Geason, presumably government funded but as mentioned before you already have to be rendering before you can do this, we are not offering NVQ's though, we are teaching them how to render and to apply EWI systems.
The manufacturers and such will be offering Green Deal Installer accreditation soon but again you can not get this unless you can already render and use EWI systems (you can see the repetition) We are here to help people learn how to render and appreciate that people will then choose there path after that whether it be working for themselves, working for a bigger contractor, getting green deal accreditation ....
How long is a piece of string when it comes to when they can go out on there tod, if they are already plastering it is an easy transition once you know the materials, tools and processes.

i have been on training programs and sites in london and rotterdam with thin coat systems such as permaroc, drivit ,mr,stow. the only thing that is cheap with systems is the labour.
i have seen lots of plasterers pack there tools and leave because unless you are very experienced the money is no good to man or beast.
the manufacturer who win the contracts with their high pressure salesmen . who promise the earth to the contractor / council. take all the money leaving the labour force with just the bare money. if they work hard and have luck with the weather.
the client wants the 10/20 guarantee.and the manufacturer will have the british kite mark

so how much does it cost and how could someone convince one of the companies that you mention that they can render without having any qualifications to prove it?

i forgot to mention when you are dropping a tower block the last thing you want is one plasterer on his own. as i come from a large family of plasterers we would make up a gang of about ten. to cover these areas.

The NVQ is (or was) free through training providers such as Geason, presumably government funded but as mentioned before you already have to be rendering before you can do this, we are not offering NVQ's though, we are teaching them how to render and to apply EWI systems.
The manufacturers and such will be offering Green Deal Installer accreditation soon but again you can not get this unless you can already render and use EWI systems (you can see the repetition) We are here to help people learn how to render and appreciate that people will then choose there path after that whether it be working for themselves, working for a bigger contractor, getting green deal accreditation ....
How long is a piece of string when it comes to when they can go out on there tod, if they are already plastering it is an easy transition once you know the materials, tools and processes.

They can get the NVQ if they go about it the right way:

they will need NVQII EWI to get on GD sites so a 3 day course aint going to do in the long term. What we do is When we have enough long term big contracts we have taken new lads on plasterers etc and upskilled them onto EWI working under supervision for us and being enrolled on the on site NVQII via a provider and qqualified through a college where my lads did their NVQ. They get to learn over a longer time and shown the exact spec of the system to the letter passing NVQ in the process.

This is what I would recommend for most wanting to get on GD sites. This is what we will continue to do as and when the contracts are there that are long enough to see the nvq through but I am sure other firms will have long term contracts running constantly. I put four through back end of last year.

so how much does it cost and how could someone convince one of the companies that you mention that they can render without having any qualifications to prove it?

all training programs where free with the manufacture companys. the cos. would have a list of all our workforce that they had trained. we also gave our opinions on the products.
as new systems where coming from italy, germany,usa and holland there was often something new to try out we often did pilot schemes. the materials was always expensive. so did not want any mess ups.
no qualifications where asked for in england the cos. would send out an foreman who would shout advice to the new starters.
in holland they would not accept our apprenticeship qualification but gave us a form to fill in so that they could contact the british cos.

Hi NPS sorry for the late reply i think the government has a lot to answer for regarding the NVQ2 requirements as i didnt have one but had to get one so that when the green deal gets up and running THEY SAY i have to have it to be allowed on site as all operatives will eventually have to be unless you know better... and NO people cannot get NVQ in 3 days if they have no previous experience, it took me 6 weeks and 37 years experience with proof of what i had done in the past... get off your high horse and if you have any info to share regarding QFC then please tell us all about it so we can actually get what we need to do the fuc%ing job

render im not having a go with you and im not on a high horse mate
if you want some advise on the QFCs ill gladly ask our lass for some for you

Steve have you done PTTLS yet? As far as I'm aware you can't even start to train/teach people without one now.

render im not having a go with you and im not on a high horse mate
if you want some advise on the QFCs ill gladly ask our lass for some for you

I think steve needs a hug NPS............:RpS_laugh:

Of course they do there's some poor little cock sat in a office who knows **** all about rendering, he needs paying too lol
Plastering and days training don't mix

Just read an old post and noticed the abuse from you spunky.... You jumped up little prick!!!!! What's your fu$king problem??? Your a bitter little c*nt aren't you!!
Oh btw I rendered those piers..... Customer loved them now we have 2 more jobs out of it!!! So suck my radish. Also I'm quite happy to give you my address so next time you wanna rip into me you can come round for a chat..... Im a 15 stone boxer so I'll piss myself watching you wither like a slug in the sun, bye sweetheart xxx

pmsl:RpS_lol: fight fight fight!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 stone thought you was gonna say you was a big lad :RpS_biggrin:

what fncking piers??

proper funny :RpS_lol:

when he says he's a 15 stone boxer I was thinking that's clever - a dog that can use a laptop :RpS_thumbup:

Just read an old post and noticed the abuse from you spunky.... You jumped up little prick!!!!! What's your fu$king problem??? Your a bitter little c*nt aren't you!!Oh btw I rendered those piers..... Customer loved them now we have 2 more jobs out of it!!! So suck my radish. Also I'm quite happy to give you my address so next time you wanna rip into me you can come round for a chat..... Im a 15 stone boxer so I'll piss myself watching you wither like a slug in the sun, bye sweetheart xxx
Lol you've just been spunkerized mate:RpS_thumbsup:

when he says he's a 15 stone boxer I was thinking that's clever - a dog that can use a laptop :RpS_thumbup:

You heard it he 1st.......next years winner of Britains got talent a plastering, laptop using dog......now that would be worth watching.wonder how he does Control ALT delete when the screen freezes.......:RpS_confused:

Last edited:
I reckon you could batter him round the ring..........:-0......ooops saucy......:RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.