Edwardian property - Lime plaster or sand, cement and lime mix?

Wolffwhistle

Hi all,
New to the forum and first post. Please advise as my head is spinning!

1901 house in London. Original lath and plaster ceiling collapsed and rooms are being renovated. All original plaster was hacked off, as well as skirting boards, architraves etc. We have stripped back to bare brick. Have been given conflicting advice about the plaster to use.

Some strong advice from relatives, who were in the game a long time, to use lime. So we researched lime and the benefits of movement and breathability make sense. Also looked up information in the Haynes Victorian House manual that recommends an authentic lime should be used, but cement and gypsum should be avoided.

Seems though that most builders prefer the modern approach and we are being strongly encouraged to use sand, cement and lime mix.
Starting to feel very confused! Happy to buy the lime and wait a bit longer for drying time, but we are being put off by the builder who seems to think no need or benefit. (He is also suggesting we swap all the old original skirtings and doors for MDF, but we put them aside to reuse). Perhaps we are just on a different page from each other ...
ANY clear advice is welcome.

Lime all day

Sand, cement and (hydrated) lime is still a cement mix. There's a good chance, (almost certain), there'll be come backs using cement in that property.

The whole houses, from the very bottom, damp layers, to air bricks to windows are designed for breathability

As soon as you introduce cement and (pink) plasters, you'll find problems start to surface. Then - people who don't know - will blame the building, not the methods of reinstating.

Hi all,

1901 house in London. Original lath and plaster ceiling collapsed and rooms are being renovated. All original plaster was hacked off, as well as skirting boards, architraves etc. We have stripped back to bare brick. Have been given conflicting advice about the plaster to use.

Some strong advice from relatives, who were in the game a long time, to use lime. So we researched lime and the benefits of movement and breathability make sense. Also looked up information in the Haynes Victorian House manual that recommends an authentic lime should be used, but cement and gypsum should be avoided.

Seems though that most builders prefer the modern approach and we are being strongly encouraged to use sand, cement and lime mix.
Starting to feel very confused! Happy to buy the lime and wait a bit longer for drying time, but we are being put off by the builder who seems to think no need or benefit. (He is also suggesting we swap all the old original skirtings and doors for MDF, but we put them aside to reuse). Perhaps we are just on a different page from each other ...
It sounds like you need to start shopping around for a new builder.

I also checked out the skirting board forum for you and they said MDF is silly and you may need to go to an old school joiner who still has all the old spindle moulder cutters that are illegal now because you have to use euro cutters with paired chip limiters on them to help prevent snatch occurring so pick an old joiner who has a finger missing or two as he knows all about them old spindle mouldings if you need any fresh skirting made up

Last edited:
here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

Hi all,

limelite renovating system....primer, backing and finish

all info here: https://limeliteheritage.co.uk/plaster/renovating-plaster/

finding someone that can do it and do it right is going to be a job itself......lot of chancers and pretenders out there...do your homework and choose wisely.......and fk ye current builder off

limelite renovating system....primer, backing and finish

all info here: https://limeliteheritage.co.uk/plaster/renovating-plaster/

finding someone that can do it and do it right is going to be a job itself......lot of chancers and pretenders out there...do your homework and choose wisely.......and fk ye current builder off
That renovation plaster is still cement based though I still wouldn’t use it for the purpose the customer wants I only use this stuff on repairs leaks and damp and moisture areas and then use the high impact finish

That renovation plaster is still cement based though I still wouldn’t use it for the purpose the customer wants I only use this stuff on repairs leaks and damp and moisture areas and then use the high impact finish
yes still cement based but formulated specifically to act as a lime would leaving it breathable....that's it's job and that's clearly outlined in the specs.