Easy fill or ???

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

just on a job doin decoration and we'v stripped paper off in one room. the walls are sound and solid. but there a bit of paint that have come off with the paper All over the room as it does.i reali dont think it requires plastering and i dont think the guy wants to pay to skim this room, we've have had an orbit sander on the walls for a day and they have smoothed out better but still would show with paint.

i was thinkin of gettin a bag of that jointing compound that sets in 90mins from travis and laying it on most of the walls lightly with a trowel then rubbing back the same day, as a quick make good job.

is there a better way other than skimming it or a better filler to use?

taaaaaaaa

rich will easy fill dry quick so i can rub back and paint same day or will it be rub bakc next day?

and it that the green bag in B&Q?

thanks

it does dry quick mate but will depend on substrate etc. cant remember what colout the bag is but is a bg product

a up our staircase was the same one side .i just brushed a weak mix of pva over the patches and used some multi out of my van that was leftover one coat featherd them in best i could and sanded them when it was dry the next day with p120 on my sander .then painted with leyland mat worked really well for me :)

What ever you use, you can't rub down until it's dry, prob next day. ........ever tried rubbing down damp filler,plaster,(etc) don't work . :-\ :)

I would use easifill mate.
Try putting it on with a taping knife or caulk board it'll go on thinner & feather in so less sanding down.
You'll have a tendency to put it on a bit thicker with a trowel so more rubbing down.
Up to you though but the thinner it is the quicker it'll dry for sanding with 120grit paper ready to paint.

oasis said:
just on a job doin decoration and we'v stripped paper off in one room. the walls are sound and solid. but there a bit of paint that have come off with the paper All over the room as it does.i reali dont think it requires plastering and i dont think the guy wants to pay to skim this room, we've have had an orbit sander on the walls for a day and they have smoothed out better but still would show with paint.

i was thinkin of gettin a bag of that jointing compound that sets in 90mins from travis and laying it on most of the walls lightly with a trowel then rubbing back the same day, as a quick make good job.

is there a better way other than skimming it or a better filler to use?

taaaaaaaa

u will see paste residue on the wall, when u paint them. so i always line the walls if there not being plastered. unless u used a steam stripper.

sod lining walls might as well spend a day skimmin them ha ha.. anyhow thanks for the replys im off 2 B&Q to get some easy fill!

wow i put a bag of easy fill on in one small bedroom... rubbed it back with an orbital sander to day, wot a mess spent the day cleaning up dust! never again

yea well was still part of the decration as they sore it. good job i hit them with a big price so i dint mind..

Next time tell them it'll cost the same to skim it mate.
1 bag Easifill £10-£12 + 2days labour for prep work.
3 bags of skim £12ish one day skimming.( plus beads & pva)
It'll be quicker & easier for you & a better job.
I've done the same as you in the past & it takes longer in my opinion.
Plus once it's got a coat of paint on it it'll highlight any fine filling that'll need doing aswell.
Just remember the customer is not the expert.
Put them straight from the start ;D

with decorating jobs, especially older properties where theyre not looking to pay for a full refurb i always try to remember the phrase 'It is what it is...'
9 times out of ten when the jobs finished theyre over the moon anyway and the other 1 you dont get cos theyre unrealistic in their expectations, not that i'd want that job in the first place..

hi lads i know i might sound stupid saying this but i thought that if you are patching. bonding cut back and skim and feather it in in you shouldnt need to sand back

Get a tub of pre mixed from B&Q its the dingos dangle parts.

Can I ask if you have been sanding for a day allready and still need to fill and sand would it not have been easier to have skimmed it and at the same price?

we sanded it all down for a day and it still had missing paint from were the paper was all over but very samll detail, so yeah wish i did skim it but still was good walls thats looked ok at first glance

oasis said:
we sanded it all down for a day and it still had missing paint from were the paper was all over but very samll detail, so yeah wish i did skim it but still was good walls thats looked ok at first glance

when was you de-moted to mod?

Yea as a decorator told me today...the flat im working on was built in 1918 and cracks have come back twice since redecoration..whats skimming going to do? cracks will still come back as building could be moving...movement from above...traffic outside...doors slamming etc...only way is lining paper but in older properties the walls need to breathe and if you got damp problems/condensation/humidity don't know how good lining paper will be.

I've had similar probs to you Oasis and called a pro in today...surprising whats involved to get a good finish...i've had paint peel away from wall back to skim...I scaped back to solid paint. Decorator said he would first basecoat the patch...then feather in the whole patch with filler....then spot prime it...then check on next coat etc etc till perfect on top coat. He whipped round the whole house explaining the techniques for crack filling etc i'm getting him in to do the job and working alongside him. Best way m8 watch and learn decorating is a highly skilled trade in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.