Dot and dab existing plastered wall.

Members online

addyb

Used to work with a plasterer a few years ago who would dot and dab over anything from bare brick/ block/ concrete, to existing painted plaster /stripped wallpapered walls. A couple of coats of watered down PVA and he was good to go. Always went along with this as he was a pro, and seemed to be what everyone else was doing.

Recently went back to a properly he did maybe 8 years ago where 2 walls are not massively loose, but have developed a slight rattle /bounce in a coulple of spots. Not the end of the world, drill a few holes and spray some foam adhesive in there, job done.

From the areas i was able to investigate, the dabs are stuck solid to the back of the board, and the original plaster wall is still sound. It's as if the adhesive has just come away from the original plater in a complete piece, almost like when you bang adhesive out of bucket. I'm thinking old paint or wallpaper paste at fault, but shouldn't the PVA help this?

My question really, when discussing this on another job, their plasterer seemed shocked at the thought of D&D over existing painted or (stripped) wallpapered plaster. Said 100% chop off old plaster everytime. I agree thats the best way when you can, but i was under the impression a lot of boarders are just dabbing over existing sound plaster?

Thoughts?

Used to work with a plasterer a few years ago who would dot and dab over anything from bare brick/ block/ concrete, to existing painted plaster /stripped wallpapered walls. A couple of coats of watered down PVA and he was good to go. Always went along with this as he was a pro, and seemed to be what everyone else was doing.

Recently went back to a properly he did maybe 8 years ago where 2 walls are not massively loose, but have developed a slight rattle /bounce in a coulple of spots. Not the end of the world, drill a few holes and spray some foam adhesive in there, job done.

From the areas i was able to investigate, the dabs are stuck solid to the back of the board, and the original plaster wall is still sound. It's as if the adhesive has just come away from the original plater in a complete piece, almost like when you bang adhesive out of bucket. I'm thinking old paint or wallpaper paste at fault, but shouldn't the PVA help this?

My question really, when discussing this on another job, their plasterer seemed shocked at the thought of D&D over existing painted or (stripped) wallpapered plaster. Said 100% chop off old plaster everytime. I agree thats the best way when you can, but i was under the impression a lot of boarders are just dabbing over existing sound plaster?

Thoughts?
Nashbait have stopped making Tangerine Dream, I'll have to find a new winter bait. Thoughts?

Nahhh real pros make sure substrate is top notch
Seen where some knock off only where dabs are fookin chancers

Your welcome

Thoughts?

ive dabbed onto black mould

Just guess what Yorkshire PVA is.
giphy (17).gif

Wot a load of b*ll***s. It's not our choice it's the clients/builders. Do you won't us to hack off all the old plaster £500 . Or just stick the boards on top .

Thoughts?

Not going how you hoped this, is it?

Hows pva supposed to help? Board bonds to dab, dab bonds to pva, pva bonds to paint and if the paint fails, the whole thing fails.

What happened to the hole in it ?
If you're genuinely interested it's repairing itself, hopefully all the damage caused will be reversed before we're in the ground. Due to changes made by mankind (y)
Amazing isn't it it, earth's been around 4 billion years but mankind can make a major negative or positive impact in as little as 100 years.

If you're genuinely interested it's repairing itself, hopefully all the damage caused will be reversed before we're in the ground. Due to changes made by mankind (y)
Amazing isn't it it, earth's been around 4 billion years but mankind can make a major negative or positive impact in as little as 100 years.
So what happened to the threat of global cooling and the impending ice age that they said was coming in the 1970's as shown in the film i posted on the other thread? :tonto: ..........The one with Spock.

So what happened to the threat of global cooling and the impending ice age that they said was coming in the 1970's as shown in the film i posted on the other thread? :tonto: ..........The one with Spock.
The threat of global cooling wasn't a widely backed up theory. One film with Spock in doesn't show that a huge amount of scientists said it was going to happen lol. Anyway noone needs to hear your shite on yet another thread so I'll give this thread a miss. Ta

The threat of global cooling wasn't a widely backed up theory. One film with Spock in doesn't show that a huge amount of scientists said it was going to happen lol. Anyway noone needs to hear your shite on yet another thread so I'll give this thread a miss. Ta
:coffe:

There is one coming, guaranteed. It's just when. Some mumble that it might not be very far away at all but a big one will definitely happen.

If you are going to put boards over a plastered wall then you may as well batten the area rather than rely on adhesive and not take any chances . Plus you have the option to insulate if required .
That was a bit f**k**g sensible! :oops:

Just saying....

Actually, the Bible proves the earth is only 4-5 thousand years old