Dot and Dab Alternative

Sam9696

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of any 'shallow' systems available which can be used instead of D&D?

Needing something that can provide around 25mm depth including the 12.5mm board. I have seen some metal shallow lining systems but never used any. Previous dots failed done by another plasterer.

It is a problematic background but the brickwork is flat but needing 25mm depth so thinking this may be the best option.

FYI, background is sand limes.

This might help

What mix for sand limes?

Can hard wall be used? Or will the mix need to contain lime due to the sand lime bricks? Originally It looks like it was sand cement and lime
Best backing plaster is l*m*-g***n ultra, it’s lime based insulting plaster, topped with their duro top coat.

Thing of the past on new builds maybe but I do plenty on refurbs and heritage jobs
would sand lime cement render be suitable for sand lime bricks? Thing is gypsum have said their products arent suitable due to long term adheision and differential movement.

Originally there was what looks like a sand lime cement render. Seems a bit far having to line the walls with metal which will then mean door linings/stair stringers all need packing out.

would sand lime cement render be suitable for sand lime bricks? Thing is gypsum have said their products arent suitable due to long term adheision and differential movement.

Originally there was what looks like a sand lime cement render. Seems a bit far having to line the walls with metal which will then mean door linings/stair stringers all need packing out.
Post some pics

Post some pics
01E9E2F3-3ED3-4B89-A272-9D8E0CE5F268.png

Covering their neck letter by any chance?
Seems that way but just because the dabs on the pic didn’t take to the brick either it’s just seems never ending trying to know what’s going to work or not. Originally looks like it was a sand cement lime mix

1960s build. Bricks contain lime and all I keep getting told is that due to the lime, gypsum products will not work including dab adhesive.

Some say SBR some say grit some even say Gyp line

it doesn’t matter if it’s lime or gold. What’s the wall construction

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of any 'shallow' systems available which can be used instead of D&D?

Needing something that can provide around 25mm depth including the 12.5mm board. I have seen some metal shallow lining systems but never used any. Previous dots failed done by another plasterer.

It is a problematic background but the brickwork is flat but needing 25mm depth so thinking this may be the best option.

FYI, background is sand limes.

Is lime not needed in the mix because of the lime in the brick?
I think your getting to hung up on the lime situation
If there’s cement and lime in the mortar then the lime is just used as a plasticiser, it’s not doing a deal to the mortar.
Yours just looks like sand and cement to me, how do you know there’s lime in it anyway?
It looks like cavity wall?